Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Damn mirrors are playing evil tricks on me. I can look in one and my skin looks descent and look in a different one under the same light and my skin looks like hell. crazy.gif

You're not on your own there. I'm terrible for it - I feel like I have to look in pretty much every mirror I see. It's not as if I admire myself and I'm certainly not vain. I think it just throws me off because, like you say, it can vary from one to the next.

I reckon I started looking in mirrors in order to try and get to grips with what it is other people see when they look at me. If you struggle with acne, it can be hard to get comfortable with how you look because your complexion's changing all the time. That also makes it difficult to picture what it is that other people see. These days, it's all calmed down for me because my acne has, but the variations in lighting and so on always catch me off guard and make those insecurities kick right back in.

I used to spend hours in front of the mirror and I'd clock up several hours a day. A good day was probably two hours and a bad day could be four or five. I don't know how I found the time and I don't know how I managed to keep a lid on it and stay in my job for as long as I did. I pushed it too far in the end but I think that had to happen in order for me to realise that things needed to change. It's largely down to clearing my acne over the last few months, but these days, I've cut down so much on the time spent in front of a mirror. Slipped up a few times if I've happened to break out or if I haven't been able to resist urges to pick my face, but I can get by on less than thirty minutes in front of the mirror each day now, which I guess I'm happy enough with.

In terms of where you're at with it, there's nothing you can do about the fact that one mirror shows different things compared to another. You can however control the number of times you look in a mirror, the length of time you look for, and you can learn to calm any preoccupation there may be with regards to what you like like. It's not easy, but it's best to let it go because it's of no real use. Just takes time and patience I guess.

:)

Thanks Paul. I use to spend hours looking in a magnified mirror which was the dumbest thing to do cause for 1, nobody out in the world has that kind of eyesight and 2, a magnified mirror shows even more stuff and shows it bigger than it really is. When I look at a mirror now, its sure not a magnified one and its just a quick look, well, sometimes its for a few minutes to make sure things are'nt too bad.eusa_think.gif

The ones in my room I look decent but it's one light bulb with little power but it's the only way to trick myself into actualy going to my classes because any other mirror at school or watever I look like a peice of rotten shit face. Lying to myself is the only way to keep going, I guess I'm going to hell for lying lol.

The ones in my room I look decent but it's one light bulb with little power but it's the only way to trick myself into actualy going to my classes because any other mirror at school or watever I look like a peice of rotten shit face. Lying to myself is the only way to keep going, I guess I'm going to hell for lying lol.

so true

I found a new way to look into a mirror without feeling like shit. I just close my eyes so I cant see my reflection. Try it, it works everytime!grinwink.gif

I know exactly how you feel! I work in retail and mirrors are ever ywhere so its unavoidable but I just try not to look st myself. I hate going shopping and when I get to a changing room the lightings horrible which makes my acne look disgsuting, and then for the whole day I will fEel so down. Also car mirrors are the worst!!

I usually search my face's skin for bumps under my skin, because they usually get inflamed.. I gotta stop doing this because I will be stressed out.

I did that today and I didn't see much!! I only saw like 2-3 on right cheek and like 3-4 on left. I remember I used to get at least 30 total on my face, but most took very long to form since I used proactiv. I stopped using proactiv, so it forms really fast. I will stop searching because if I see a few new ones.. I will get mad biggrin.png so I will make sure not to look in the mirror very close. I do have ugly pimples on my forehead which I can manage to cover. I have a few below forehead, but it isn't that bad.

Edited by EddieE

Yea camera flashes are one of the worst. Flashes then right at that moment it takes your photo... Theres actually new cameras that automatically fades blemishes and wrinkles when it captures a photo. Gotto get one of those lolol.

I can completely relate.. I think this very fact has made me obsessed with mirrors. I disgust myself. It's not that I WANT to see my face, but I have this obsession to know what my face looks like in different lighting/places. So I am always checking. It's sick! I'm embarrassed to even tell anyone.

I think a contributing factor was this one day in highschool... I had just begun using ProActiv (colossal mistake) and my cheerleading team was traveling to an away game. I was enjoying myself on the bus ride because ProActiv had given me a little glimmer of hope that my skin would clear. It was improving.. so I felt more confident than I had in a long time. Well, I happen to catch myself in a mirror and my skin was red and literally PEELING off everywhere! ProActiv was making my skin scale so bad I didn't recognize myself! I felt like an idiot for acting outgoing and confident during the bus ride with my face the way it was. Ever since that day I always check.. I am so afraid of my skin doing something random and just outrageously hideous and me having no clue.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has mirror-issues. It is a secret side of myself that no one knows but me.. and now all of you. :)

The car mirror is by far the worse. Unless my skin is 100% flawless, any blemish or redmark is just amplified so much. Add to that your face is just caught at a very weird angle and it can just ruin your whole day.

Yeah :/

I am going to die if I don't get my skin to normal by the time i am 21. I'm being serious too. I'll let other girls live life and be happy with beautiful skin, at least some people are going to be happy, I'll let them enjoy their life and let me fade away and rot in the Earth and become the soil.

I think looks are the only important thing in life..and i feel like if i am not beautiful i have no point in living.

I think a contributing factor was this one day in highschool... I had just begun using ProActiv (colossal mistake) and my cheerleading team was traveling to an away game. I was enjoying myself on the bus ride because ProActiv had given me a little glimmer of hope that my skin would clear. It was improving.. so I felt more confident than I had in a long time. Well, I happen to catch myself in a mirror and my skin was red and literally PEELING off everywhere! ProActiv was making my skin scale so bad I didn't recognize myself! I felt like an idiot for acting outgoing and confident during the bus ride with my face the way it was. Ever since that day I always check.. I am so afraid of my skin doing something random and just outrageously hideous and me having no clue.

Imaging a world with no mirrors. I squint my eyes when I pass mirrors. Some days, it seems that the mirror is giving me favorable results. Other days, one look is enough to shatter hopes for days. mehh

i have this problem too, i can spend my whole weekend looking in the mirror but even worse i try to perfect myself in the mirror with makeup and hairstyles but get so frustraighted when i can't look the way i want. i also hate the reverse camera tool on my ipad it picks up every blemish i have on my face and it makes my face look a werid shape compared to thr usual digital cameras.

I dont like looking in the mirror it depresses me when i see my acne scars or when i have a break out,but it always looks different in different lightening ,when the light is strong it shows more soo i avoid looking in the mirror shit sucks ,wish acne didnt exist

I can completely relate.. I think this very fact has made me obsessed with mirrors. I disgust myself. It's not that I WANT to see my face, but I have this obsession to know what my face looks like in different lighting/places. So I am always checking. It's sick! I'm embarrassed to even tell anyone.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has mirror-issues. It is a secret side of myself that no one knows but me.. and now all of you. smile.png

This kind of thing has happened to me sooo many times! When was using retin-a and benzoyl peroxide (not at the same time), I would be confident and outgoing in class, and then I would go to the bathroom and look in the mirror and my face would be a flaky, peely mess. I'd feel like an idiot.

i have a similar obsession, except it's with phones. i always take a picture of myself from my iphone camera (on the sly)

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has mirror-issues. It is a secret side of myself that no one knows but me.. and now all of you. smile.png

This kind of thing has happened to me sooo many times! When was using retin-a and benzoyl peroxide (not at the same time), I would be confident and outgoing in class, and then I would go to the bathroom and look in the mirror and my face would be a flaky, peely mess. I'd feel like an idiot.

Exactly!! It's the worst feeling.

I used to do this all the time. Then I trained myself to look at my eyes first when I looked in a mirror, like other people do, then zoom out and look at my entire face, *then* focus on the spots and blemishes if I really want to check their progress. This way I'm reminded of what other people see. They don't know where all of your blemishes are automatically like you do, so they might not be as obvious as you think they are.

hahaha i thought I was the only one! I CONSTANTLY look in mirrors. Literally every hour. Ill stand there and stare at myself in the mirror, thinking back to what I looked like 3 months when my skin was flawless. Such a mind fuck!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. This is the reason I absolutely hate getting a haircut. While I can avoid mirrors all day at home or at stores, I have no choice but to stare at my acne for 20 or so minutes at the salon. Just had a haircut today, probably the most painful thing I had to sit through all month.

I remember during my last visit, as I was waiting for my barber to finish up with another customer, one of his employees came up to me and told me she sells "natural, organic face-wash for problemed skins". That was definitely one of the most painful and awkward half hour I've ever experienced.