Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I did a search and checked that this hasn't been posted before so here goes.

Seeing as term will start again soon for many students here in the UK, I thought I'd start a thread about what life has been like for people who have acne and have to go university or are starting soon, what they've experienced and stuff like that. I know some of this has already been said before in other threads but this thread will be dedicated to people who are either starting out at uni or are continuing from their 1st, 2nd years etc.

Remember, I only want to see honest replys from people who go to a university not a college. This is cos down here in the UK, a college is classed as 'further education' and university is classed as 'higher education'. Notice the difference?

Anyway, I just wanted to hear your views. Especially as when you think of university students, the 1st thing that pops into your head is binge drinking and night-clubbing not acne.

Feel free to add your comments, feelings, experiences or views. Thanks.

Here in the US, the system is a bit different: college = bachelor's degree = first 4 years; university = bachelor's + master's degree + PhD

I'm at a university, and this is my second year of my bachelor's degree, therefore I would say it's my second year of college

but whatever..

this year I have significatly less acne than last year, and I'm finding that I'm a lot more social, even though it can get very lonely sometimes.

i quit university... due to depression which was in part due to acne. i didn't have a good time socially and i only really made a few friends whilst there. maybe i'll go back to uni when i'm 30 and totally clear (i hope).

TIM

i call it college, but im at a university...(U.S.)

my acne is never too bad, and i dont let it bother me anyway...

I go to university (simon fraser university, British columbia Canada) and lately ive been feeling like shit when I go in there cause of my acne. Today the doctor actually prescribed me an antibiotic (tetracycline) instead of some bullshit topical so hopefully my acne will clear up within the month. Im a goodlooking guy though, and most of the day im like "god i bet my face looks like shit right now" but then when I go to the mirror and check it im like "aww its not really that bad" i dunno im a weird person and I hate how acne has become one of the main preoccupations in my life

Guest Captain Chaos

NeO the tetracycline will take 2 months for you to notice a significant difference! beware you may get an initial breakout in the first two weeks, but good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the advice man, hopefully ill have no initial breakout.... and i almost have no really big red noticeable pimples on my face right so im just wanting the tetra to stop new ones from forming. My doc said that with my acne I would notice a significant different within the month

I attend the University of Washington....note the lovely picture of the cherry blossom trees on our campus. Anyways, I'd have to say that I've got the sense that I'm the only one with acne scars and pigmentation. I rarely encounter anyone that has skin like mine. This makes it very depressing sometimes because you look around the classroom and just about everyone is blemish free and their skin looks flawless, for the most part. Before I started my 4 years of higher education I was already really introvertered partly due to my acne and scars and going into college, I thought that things would somehow change and it would be better. Well, it unfortunately didn't. I'm now about to start my last year and I'm sad to say that college has just been like high school....miserable, disappointing, full of unfulfilled promises. I've tried to make up for that my junior year, being a bit more involved. It has helped somewhat, but I still find myself doing things alone most of the time. I have gone to a counselor on campus to discuss my problems. It's going to be hard to change, because I've gradually developed these thoughts and behaviors over a long period of time. I'm still hopeful though...

i quit university... due to depression which was in part due to acne. i didn't have a good time socially and i only really made a few friends whilst there. maybe i'll go back to uni when i'm 30 and totally clear (i hope).

TIM

i defered my entry to uni for another year (my second gap year) because of my acne. I couldnt face going. Ive never suffered greatly from acne but managed to get a staphs infection whilst travelling round europe in the summer which triggered a severe case of cystic acne. Im now on my second motnh of accutane and was meant to start at Birmingham (uk) last Saturday. Luckily i can still go next year no probs but i woud much prefer to be there now but my acne has changed my personality and crushed my confidence completely. Id be alright with a few spots..im used to that but i have huge cysts all over my face and im constantly needing cortisone injections.Its not practical nor healthy for me to go (mentally)

I'm there now and it's going okay so far. I've been out a few times and met loads of people.. but acne STILL takes up 80% of my thoughts throughout the day. Even when my face looks okay i'm obssessing myself with it.

I suppose i'm kinda obssessed with trying to fit in also. Like i'm worried everyone will reject me and i'll be lonely as fuck all year. I'm really hoping that my face stays okay because it would be SO easy to hide out in my room and avoid everyone completely. I think that would be the worst thing to happen.

TIM

Acne should be no reason to quit school. No one asking you to be social. It's better to go now and get it over with. That paper opens doors you dont even know about yet. When you realize you cant pay for shit cuz you have a lousy job that pays shit your going to feel worst.

Im sure you have a job or at the very least go outside of your home to watch a movie or buy some junk food. So if you can bear doing that why is going to school that much different?

It depends on what you can call 'bad'. I bet girls who don't have acne think that mild acne when they see it, is 'bad'. But if an acne sufferer sees mild acne, they'll think its not bad: and that its OK. See what I mean?

Acne should be no reason to quit school.  No one asking you to be social.  It's better to go now and get it over with.  That paper opens doors you dont even know about yet.  When you realize you cant pay for shit cuz you have a lousy job that pays shit your going to feel worst. 

Im sure you have a job or at the very least go outside of your home to watch a movie or buy some junk food.  So if you can bear doing that why is going to school that much different?

Wow, thats some good A level grades. Mine were 1 B, 1 C, 1 D. They're pretty average I think. I know someone who goes to coventry uni who only got 1 E and got onto a degree course for surveying. And its only cos they said to him that they were short on people and so they decided to take him on!

1 E! Whats the world coming to? See this is exactly what I mean man. Anyone can get to university nowadays. I guess going to university nowadays is not a big achievement like it used to be.

I got pretty good A-levels.  I got ABBC, and i'm at 'lower ranking' university.  Not because I couldn't get into a better one, but because I liked the place and general atmosphere.

Regardless of where you live, work, study etc etc there will be people who are superficial and there will be people who dont care about your skin.

Where do you go?

And stoneman, I thought it was still under 50% of people who go to Universities in the UK? It's not as high as you think, anyway. These higher fees that are coming in are supposed to benefit the people who cannot afford and therefore were not seriously considering going. They want more people to go, the majority don't by any means.