Notifications
Clear all

90% Of Teenage Acne Is Caused By Demodex Mites

MemberMember
(@rossss)

Posted : 03/22/2012 11:31 am

After much research on the subject on the internet there is a general consensus that 90% of teenage acne is caused by demodex mites and that only 10% is caused by bacteria. Because the sebaceous glands produce more sebum during our teenage years because of our fluctuating hormone levels it makes our facial skin an ideal breeding ground for demodex mites. They can quickly increase in numbers and this is what results in bacterial infections and acne. As they decompose they block our pores which leads to infections, pimples etc. People who suffer from adult acne and rosacea, which are also thought to be caused by demodex mites, commonly suffer from really bad acne when they are going through their teenage years. There appears to be a link here which needs further investigation. Clinical studies have shown that tea tree oil kills demodex mites. In Eastern Europe and China it is well known and an accepted theory that demodex mites cause acne. They also prescribe creams and lotions that contain tea tree oil to kill demodex mites and therefore help with acne and rosacea. In the US and Europe this is still not accepted because we rely on the drug companies to lead the way but unfortunately for us, the consumer, there is no profit in tea tree oil medications since it is natural and it cannot be patented.

I have personally been using a natural treatment for acne by Mama Nature and it is the only treatment that has ever helped my really bad acne. I still have bad acne scars which I hope will heal through time but this definitely works to get rid of the acne. There are other lotions that contain tea tree oil and I'm sure they work also and i would definitely recommend that if you suffer from acne you look in to these.

MemberMember
(@someonefromabove)

Posted : 03/23/2012 3:16 pm

It is highly overlooked that demodex causes most acne, as well as related diseases such as rosacea and even keratosis pilaris. However, it actually is a scientific fact that demodex is involved here. People will continue to overlook demodex, as it is still HIGHLY unknown to the public. This is also due to the fact that most people find the idea of their skin hosting mites totally ridiculous. Actually it is so unknown that one has to ask oneself what's going on.

Demodex can be eliminated using powerful natural anti-parasitics, such as TTO. But it has to be used in the right form, merely using TTO water solution or pure on the face will not eliminate it. Demodex is also highly suppressed by Benzoyl Peroxide, which is why the acne.org regimen does work

~ sfa

MemberMember
(@amyelena)

Posted : 07/05/2012 2:29 pm

This is really interesting , I've NEVER heard of this before but after reading this I am def going to look into it!

Is there anything that has been found to kill these mites with a high success rate? Benzyl Peroxide and me don't get on but TTO should be fine. I'm going to find out all I can about this now!

MemberMember
(@vanbelle)

Posted : 07/06/2012 4:41 pm

The posters in this thread are highly overstating the role of demodex mites, but it is not entirely untrue. A meta-analysis is posted on pubmed reviewing the relevant literature. Consider it an option, but not an overwhelming causative factor in "90%" of acne.

Mites and rosacea is often talked about, and you can find products meant specifically for rosacea patients and rosacea mites (Garden of Wisdom).

MemberMember
(@steaklover)

Posted : 04/11/2013 8:32 pm

im scared. is this a real thing? or an elaborate joke?

im scared to think these things are living in my face. honestly i dont understand or believe. help

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 04/12/2013 1:16 pm

After much research on the subject on the internet there is a general consensus that 90% of teenage acne is caused by demodex mites and that only 10% is caused by bacteria...

No there really isn't.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 04/12/2013 3:35 pm

Ignore this whole thread, the forum is like infected with spam posters trying to advertise that 'mama nature' crap. And the mites thing is a complete myth.

MemberMember
(@someonefromabove)

Posted : 04/30/2013 10:01 am

Ignore this whole thread, the forum is like infected with spam posters trying to advertise that 'mama nature' crap. And the mites thing is a complete myth.

Have you checked pubmed for countless medical evidence of Demodex folliculorum and Demodex brevis? This is just an utterly stupid comment.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 04/30/2013 10:04 am

im scared. is this a real thing? or an elaborate joke?

im scared to think these things are living in my face. honestly i dont understand or believe. help

Don't worry about it. We have a whole host of things living inside of us and on the surface of our skin. Out bodies are like a planet of different microorganisms. Scary, but true.

MemberMember
(@someonefromabove)

Posted : 05/03/2013 6:34 am

Yep, no need to worry. Just educate yourself. LewisS words are true

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/03/2013 8:18 pm

Demomites are not the

After much research on the subject on the internet there is a general consensus that 90% of teenage acne is caused by demodex mites and that only 10% is caused by bacteria. Because the sebaceous glands produce more sebum during our teenage years because of our fluctuating hormone levels it makes our facial skin an ideal breeding ground for demodex mites. They can quickly increase in numbers and this is what results in bacterial infections and acne. As they decompose they block our pores which leads to infections, pimples etc. People who suffer from adult acne and rosacea, which are also thought to be caused by demodex mites, commonly suffer from really bad acne when they are going through their teenage years. There appears to be a link here which needs further investigation. Clinical studies have shown that tea tree oil kills demodex mites. In Eastern Europe and China it is well known and an accepted theory that demodex mites cause acne. They also prescribe creams and lotions that contain tea tree oil to kill demodex mites and therefore help with acne and rosacea. In the US and Europe this is still not accepted because we rely on the drug companies to lead the way but unfortunately for us, the consumer, there is no profit in tea tree oil medications since it is natural and it cannot be patented.

I have personally been using a natural treatment for acne by Mama Nature and it is the only treatment that has ever helped my really bad acne. I still have bad acne scars which I hope will heal through time but this definitely works to get rid of the acne. There are other lotions that contain tea tree oil and I'm sure they work also and i would definitely recommend that if you suffer from acne you look in to these.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 05/04/2013 3:36 pm

I find this statistic disturbing...

MemberMember
(@yellowdove)

Posted : 05/04/2013 9:42 pm

I don't believe mites cause acne. No way.

MemberMember
(@someonefromabove)

Posted : 05/10/2013 2:42 am

I don't believe mites cause acne. No way.

Well, check the medical research

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 05/13/2013 9:20 pm

http://dermnetnz.org/arthropods/demodicosis.html

Doesn't show any acne correlation here. I read it's rare to transfer to humans but now am very confused.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/06/2013 4:02 pm

My allergist told me that it's possible, and not just for teenage acne. Mites can also nest in facial hair. Some ways to control mite exposure are to change your pillowcase often, get a hypoallergenic pillow, and air your bed every day (making your bed actually makes it more moist and more likely to attract mites). As if there aren't enough things to be paranoid about!

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 06/06/2013 5:49 pm

what is the source of this nonsense -- ignored

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/06/2013 10:37 pm

If you're ignoring it, why are you posting?!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/07/2013 12:46 am

If you're ignoring it, why are you posting?!

haha, good point!

@ solveacneforever, you seem like you have good research skills. You haven't found any evidence on this? This is just another acne theory, not saying it's valid but a professional allergist mentioned it to me as a possibility, so the least I could do was google it and educate myself.

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 06/07/2013 12:54 am

safer to ignore unreliable claims. <-- this is part quality research skills (if someone had bad research skills, they would go around researching every single claim out there)

i suggest you do the same. but im going to make a second reply to explain and help others anymore so turning off this notification.

and any insightful person would understand i posted that to make a point (a good first post would've had a source, but i've learned not to expect this on a forum that allow basically anything)

if i had to explain everything to all these students, i would get nothing done...........................................................

MemberMember
(@scott-c)

Posted : 07/05/2013 3:28 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9870674

MemberMember
(@four9s)

Posted : 12/07/2013 4:27 pm

I have suffered from acne for over 26 years. I am 40 years old now. It has blighted my life. The anxiety, stress and despair it has brought me has been terrible. I have tried so many treatments that I have lost count. I have seen many dermatologists with little help other than more steroid creams or more anti-biotics. I have taken so many antibiotics over my life, I dread to think what they have done to my immune system. On one particular visit to a dermatologist, I DEMANDED that he did something to help my condition other than just write another prescription to get me out of the room. He suggested a skin biopsy. I was quite surprised at this when he explained what it was. They take a piece of skin and send it off to the laboratory. They can then determine what is present on the skin. My suprprise was that he hadn't suggested this many years earlier. How can you treat something without knowing what exactly you are trying to treat. Anyway, when the biopsy came back, it showed that my skin had bacteria (i forget the name of it now), fungus (i also forget the name) and demodex mites. I had never heard of them. I read as much about them as I possibly could and came to understand about symptoms and how to treat them. The reason for the background on this is that demodex mites for me are the only rational explanation for the years of affliction that I have suffered. I now have got my skin under control and the answer for me was SOAP. The thing is that with a demodex infections using soap kills the mites and causes pustules. I used to think that soap made my skin worse because of this and would seek out gentler lotions to avoid these breakouts. The thing is these things apparently live in the pores so killing them may cause these eruptions. This has always been the thing that put me off using soap over lotions. I personally use sea buckthorn soap now. I had read somewhere that it was good against demodex mites. Now I'm reluctant to post this because I dont want people thinking that I'm trying to push a product. I'm categorically not. I do think that general soap will work but because sea buckthorn soap got me through the trauma of breakouts through to softer skin, I'm reluctant to change. My skin has also eventually changed to feeling softer and isn't as oily as it used to be. I used to have very oily skin. I have many theories that the demodex mites actually make the skin oilier, rather than just having oily skin that mites feed off but I cannot prove it, it's just a theory. Now, I don't neccessarily think that 90% of skin conditions are demodex related. I have no idea. But I agree with the sense of the title of this thread. I do feel that a large amount of skin conditions are connected to these mites and that the dermatology world seems to know so little about them. It seems ridiculous. Anyway, if you are suffering it might be worth trying a simple regime of washing with soap (perhaps sea buckthorn) and water in the morning and at night. Use a face flannel and when drying I dry thoroughly and vigorously as if wiping off lots mites. Wash your pillow cases regularly and try and be determined to go through a breakout initially and then keeping up a steady regime for a few weeks before getting the mite population under control. But I do urge you to investigate if demodex mites are involved in your skin condition. Good luck and keep going!

MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 03/05/2019 3:53 am

Bumping this thread with research from just last year (2018)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5949547/

MemberMember
(@pjc)

Posted : 03/31/2019 11:46 pm

I have had severe acne in the past andgrew out of it but my skin remained very oily and my pores grew very large. I started suffering from unbarably itchy red eyes somewhere between mid twenties early thirties. I suffered so bad for decades to the point of not being able to look at or talk to people because of the way my eyes winced. I was diagnosed back then with blepharitis an irritation around the eyes but was only told to wash them with baby shampoo with no explanation of what it was. Last year after more complaining my optometrist suggested I may have demodex mites by the look of my eyelashes. She gave me tea tree oil wipes. After using them I had some improvement but it was burning me. I now wash my hair with shampoo mixed with 30-40% TTO. I use ivermectin ream 1% and metrogel which were prescribed together by a dermatologist after many doctor visits to explain what I had. I still get the pin pricks itching and the crawling feeling on my eyelashes and skin but it has resolved enough that I can conversate without twitching my eyes in pain. I have been treating them for a year now and am still having skin eruptions from die off. There are many things that can promote their multiplying from stress, immunity issues to age and many more. If you read enough it is possible to glean enough info from articles and studies. To make things worse in my case I had allergy testing and am allergic to mites, this explains why my eyes were in such distress. Now the damage continues with the enlarged pores, some of the bumps on my face from die off seem semi permanent. Another symptom I have figured out is there arelinear scars on my cheeks that keep getting longer for no apparent reason, The mites have six scratchy legs which after time leave these scars and enlarged pores form going in and out. I have now been noticing these symptoms onother people I see, alsoon close ups of people on tv. These are a pain in the neck but also fascinating. Good luck getting help because doctors are undereducated and aloof with this issue . Remain persistent and you may find help.

MemberMember
(@karenm)

Posted : 04/01/2019 12:09 pm

12 hours ago, PJC said:

I have had severe acne in the past and grew out of it but my skin remained very oily and my pores grew very large. I started suffering from unbarably itchy red eyes somewhere between mid twenties early thirties. I suffered so bad for decades to the point of not being able to look at or talk to people because of the way my eyes winced. I was diagnosed back then with blepharitis an irritation around the eyes but was only told to wash them with baby shampoo with no explanation of what it was. Last year after more complaining my optometrist suggested I may have demodex mites by the look of my eyelashes. She gave me tea tree oil wipes. After using them I had some improvement but it was burning me. I now wash my hair with shampoo mixed with 30-40% TTO. I use ivermectin ream 1% and metrogel which were prescribed together  by a dermatologist after many doctor visits to explain what I had. I still get the pin pricks itching and the crawling feeling on my eyelashes and skin but it has resolved  enough that I can conversate without twitching my eyes in pain. I have been treating them for a year now and am still having skin eruptions from die off. There are many things that can promote their multiplying from stress, immunity issues to age and many more. If you read enough it is possible to glean enough info from articles and studies. To make things worse in my case I had allergy testing and am allergic to mites, this explains why my eyes were in such distress. Now the damage continues with the enlarged pores, some of the bumps on my face from die off seem semi permanent. Another symptom I have figured out is there are  linear scars on my cheeks that keep getting longer for no apparent reason, The mites have six scratchy legs which after time leave these scars and enlarged pores form going in and out. I have now been noticing these symptoms on other people I see, also on close ups of people on tv. These are a pain in the neck but also fascinating. Good luck getting help because doctors are undereducated and aloof with this issue . Remain persistent and you may find help. 

I was lucky to have found a doctor that listened to me and told me she works with a group of about 10 dermatologists around the US that share information on demodex. She said she really discovered it (demodex) was an issue 10 years ago and now she recognizes the signs and symptoms of it. She has been working with me to fix it all and I am so grateful.  My skin texture was totally changing and getting uneven and "lumpy" ...I'm sure from the collagen being destroyed by the mites. I'm working on fixing it and stopping the hormonal acne that was triggered and totally different from the demodex acne. I pray that everyone finds help from dermatologists and can start healing. The first dermatologist I saw was AWFUL  so it took some searching to find a good one and her office is 2+ hours away. But it's worth it  :)