Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
klaxon

Accutane: My Third Course... What Am I Doing?!?!

After two previous stints on accutane I find myself trawling the internet again for answers about what to do next.

I'm 24 and I've been on accutane twice already taking 60mg a day for around 6.5 months (I weigh 65kg/143lbs) and had amazing results for approximately 6 months after each course. After that 6 months though, my skin starts to get oily and small pimples gradually migrate from my chest, up my neck and onto my face.

Do you guys think it's worth doing a third course? Based on your experiences, would a lower dosage over a longer period of time have longer-term or lifelong benefits?

My derm says that there's an 80% chance that a course of accutane will cure the average acne sufferer. I find it weird that 96% of acne sufferers would be cured by accutane after two courses, yet I am not - my acne has always been low to mild; it just won't disappear!

Edited by klaxon

I would not agree with your derm at all. 96% of people are not cured of acne by accutane. For most people accutane works and will get rid of the acne, but for so many people it will take months or years but the acne will come back because it is an internal issue that is not being addressed. I'm 23 and have been on Accutane at least 5 times experimenting with full dose, low dose over a long period of time... it in no way cured my acne. I would stay clear for a long period of time, but it would always come back. For you it will unfortunately likely be the same if it didn't cure it the first time.

What did "cure" my acne was cutting gluten and sugar from my diet. If I avoid these two things I don't break out anymore. Taking vitamin D because I found out I was highly deficient. Taking epsom salt baths to detoxify my body. Drinking lot's of water and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. Personally I think the majority of acne cases are caused by food intolerance, improper digestion which will then inhibit the absorption of nutrients, and also improper elimination and unbalanced gut flora. Food and nutrition are key and can also cause hormone imbalances and insulin spikes which may also lead to acne. I have done so much research in the hopes of finding an answer to stopping acne and now I have! I would have been the last person to believe the acne - diet correlation but it really is amazing.

Hey thanks for the reply!

I guess what I meant by that 96% came from the fact that my derm said 20% of people get cured after each course, and 20% of 20% after two courses equals 4% of the original group, leaving the 96% that would be cured. Anyway, it's irrelevant because as you said, now that I'm in that 4% it's likely that another course won't help.

I think for the next four weeks I will try eliminating sugar from my diet completely to see if that makes a difference. I think cutting gluten is too much of a step for me, so maybe if sugar doesn't work I will try a no gluten diet later. Then if that doesn't work, I may have to try a low dosage course of accutane to see if that does the trick.

The most messed up part of this is that I still get compliments about my skin. Someone told me I had perfect skin the other day, but because I had some bumps on my chest I just refused to believe them. Having PERFECT skin on accutane has warped my sense of perspective to the point where one pimple becomes a big deal. Half my battle is psychological and fighting unnecessary vanity!

Does anyone else have any low-dose accutane stories to share?

Edited by klaxon

My derm says that there's an 80% chance that a course of accutane will cure the average acne sufferer. I find it weird that 96% of acne sufferers would be cured by accutane after two courses, yet I am not - my acne has always been low to mild; it just won't disappear!

i dont think he really knows this.

i have read many posts throughout the years, heres my take on things. there are two types of accutane users, those who have taken it once and stayed clear for a long time, and those who say that diet has nothing to do with how their body functions and put too much hope into the drug alone and take accutane 2 3 4 5 6 times., it is very likely that those who took the drug once and had good success also improved their dietary habits simultaneously, and those who taken it 5-6 times, believe that that this one substance is going to cure them, but the body needs so many chemicals to run better one chemical aint going to do it.

just so you know what accutane is it is a vitamin a derivative, and vitamin a substances(retinol) are synthesized from carotenoids(beta carotene, alpha carotene and beta cryptoxanthin) from fruits and vegetables, to say that that diet has nothing to do with how your body functions or your acne condition and then to say accutane is your savior is kind of hypocritical, because 13-cis retinoic acid cannot even me made in your body without retinol nor retinol without carotenoids. i forgot to mention 13-cis retinoic acid(accutane) is a substance your body naturally manufactures when retinol is transported to various cells, so it is naturally present in the body.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Your argument is definitely very logical. Changing up my diet is definitely something that I've never invested a lot of time into. I think if I stick with it for 4+ weeks (which I haven't done before), I might notice some changes, but any less time than that probably isn't going to show that much improvement.