Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lnavery

Bare Minerals = Acne!

Hi, everyone. I started using Bare Minerals last January 2011 and after about a few months of use, I started developing more and more cysts and acne. I couldn't understand it because I never really broke out at all in high school, only the occasional pimple. I did some research and found out that BM contains bismuth oxychloride and a bunch of other irritants. I stopped using BM last week and haven't put on any makeup since to see if I could heal up my cysts a little more (I had little bumps all over my head).

I've been using tea tree oil on the cysts, apple cider vinegar as a toner, and coconut oil at night as a moisterizer and have seen a decrease in redness and the swelling of my acne. However, I still have some acne left. Does anyone who has been through something similar to this know how long it will be until my skin will get back to normal? Thanks!!

Hi, everyone. I started using Bare Minerals last January 2011 and after about a few months of use, I started developing more and more cysts and acne. I couldn't understand it because I never really broke out at all in high school, only the occasional pimple. I did some research and found out that BM contains bismuth oxychloride and a bunch of other irritants. I stopped using BM last week and haven't put on any makeup since to see if I could heal up my cysts a little more (I had little bumps all over my head).

I've been using tea tree oil on the cysts, apple cider vinegar as a toner, and coconut oil at night as a moisterizer and have seen a decrease in redness and the swelling of my acne. However, I still have some acne left. Does anyone who has been through something similar to this know how long it will be until my skin will get back to normal? Thanks!!

BM looks great on me, and I also, am unable to use it without breaking out! Try Everyday Minerals instead. I would think, like anything you will have to give your acne at least 3 weeks to heal and diminish.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually using MakeupForever HD since I wanted a change from mineral makeup all together in case it still messed up my skin. So far I like it! My face is finally starting to clear up too after staying away from Bare Minerals.

I started using BM in January 2011 too. I was on some random ass make up before, that caused me some break outs. I noticed that with BM I like the Matte better. It absorbs some oils, but you need mineral veil. I personally think its too expensive for what it does, so I bought a cheaper brand NYC Smooth Skin Loose face powder free of tint. I had mild acne when i started with BM, but since got up to Severe and back down to Moderate. I figured its because 1.) I didn't correctly clean my brushes, 2.) Going from high school to college while going through a break up is pretty damn stressful.

I don't think it was BM that caused your acne, maybe a reaction to a chemical in it? If anything, its helped me a lot and I don't want to leave it even though its pretty expensive. Try cleaning your brushes more often.

Apple cider venegar is amazing, by the way. I stopped using it though :P

Maybe i too should consider leaving BM? o.O

Just an update:

I threw out all my bare minerals, including the brushes and have not been wearing makeup at all except for this weekend when I went to my cousin's wedding. I wore Makeup Forever HD with Covergirl Smoothers pressed powder and I didn't get any new breakouts. In fact, my skin has cleared up a LOT and the rash by my mouth is tons less red and getting smoother every day. I've been just using Cetaphil both morning and night, Apple cider vinegar as a toner, and moisturizing with coconut oil at night and Neutrogena's sensitive skin daily moisturizer in the morning. At least I can confirm that it was the bare minerals that was making my skin break out. I would advise anyone using Bare Minerals who have been breaking out if you've never broken out before (or very little) to discontinue the product. Your skin will clear up if you stop using it! My skin was perfect in high school and I only had the occasional pimple. That's just my word of advice. There's tons of other foundations out there!