Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
d99

Following The Regiment For Years, Does It Cause Damage?

Hi all,

I love the product and it definitely helped get rid of my acne (been using it for 2-3 years now). I'm just wondering though, after all of your acne is totally disappeared, do you still follow the reigmen daily? I definitely follow it...use it once a day when I don't have acne and when I start seeing acne I use it twice a day. I'm just wondering if using the product and the chemicals within (benzoyl peroxide) is actually bad for your skin, when used daily for years and years? Will it make you age faster or cause any damage when used for such a long period or time?

Thanks

Benzoyl peroxide has been around for decades with no adverse effects reported in medical literature. When absorbed into the skin, benzoyl peroxide becomes benzoic acid, which is a harmless chemical. As far as aging is concerned, benzoyl peroxide produces free oxygen free radicals, but on the other side of the coin it also has an anti-inflammatory effect. As far as I know, there are no studies performed on long term benzoyl peroxide use and skin aging. Anecdotally speaking, I have been using benzoyl peroxide for 20 years and the part of my face where I use it (bottom half) looks better and younger than the top half of my face.

After you apply benzoyl peroxide, apply moisturizer to keep your skin balanced and hydrated and you should be all set.