Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hassom

Roaccutane Worth It?

Hi People!!

So I have mild-severe acne with hyperpigmentation, I have tried anitbiotics, face creams etc nothing has worked. The derm did offer me roaccutane, however I refused thinking my acne aint bad at all and was given Erythromycin 250mg tablets and Differin gel to use at night as a last resort. Sitting down and looking at people with clearer skin, do you think I should go on roaccutane? Is it worth it? I do want clearer skin :( (will post pics later!)

*hugs* xx

Only you can decide if it's worth it.

Some people have no side effects. Some people's lives were ruined by the side effects.

Accutane is a matter of risk vs. reward. But if you even have to ask this question, I'd say you're not ready to take those risks yet.

When you're truly ready to take accutane, you won't care what side effects might come with it.

if you do go on it, take a lower dose for a shorter amount of time because it is sort of toxic and unnatural, and also, change your diet to the healthiest foods possible. some people will take accutane and "stay clear" for years after, i believe these are the people who also started eating better during accutane or directly after, then there are another class of accutane users, the chronic accutane addicts that have been on accutane 2-6 times, who likely believe that diet has nothing to do with their health and that only drugs can treat disease, this is not true.

i would say if your acne is truly mild, learn as much about diet as you possibly can, make those changes and see if after 3-6 months your skin doesnt improve, but if your acne is very severe, consider accutane in a low dose for a short term, but still learn about what is a healthy diet, and you may possibly fare better then the rest.

for some understanding of what accutane is, it is a substance which is a metabolite of vitamin a compounds, and is naturally produced in your body for various processes related to cell cycle control/timing. known as 13-cis-retinoic acid, it is created inside cells for signaling, and our bodys synthesize it from retinol, which is vitamin a and can also be made from pro vitamin a carotenoids such as alpha carotene and beta carotene and beta cryptoxanthin.

so accutane skips all those steps and enters cells endogenously or from the outside instead of being formed inside the cell where it is naturally made, it is this unnatural route that can make it so toxic, from what i know it isnt normally found outside of cells, so the drug is absorbed by cells and slows the rate of proliferation or growth which can halt the process of acne, which is the increased rate of sebaceous gland cells and keratinocytes(skins cells), slowing the rate of these cells reduces sebum, and keratinocytes no longer block pores which allow p acnes to grow and become inflammed. p acnes survive in a sebum rich, oxygen deprived environment.

good luck.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

if you do go on it, take a lower dose for a shorter amount of time because it is sort of toxic and unnatural, and also, change your diet to the healthiest foods possible. some people will take accutane and "stay clear" for years after, i believe these are the people who also started eating better during accutane or directly after, then there are another class of accutane users, the chronic accutane addicts that have been on accutane 2-6 times, who likely believe that diet has nothing to do with their health and that only drugs can treat disease, this is not true.

i would say if your acne is truly mild, learn as much about diet as you possibly can, make those changes and see if after 3-6 months your skin doesnt improve, but if your acne is very severe, consider accutane in a low dose for a short term, but still learn about what is a healthy diet, and you may possibly fare better then the rest.

for some understanding of what accutane is, it is a substance which is a metabolite of vitamin a compounds, and is naturally produced in your body for various processes related to cell cycle control/timing. known as 13-cis-retinoic acid, it is created inside cells for signaling, and our bodys synthesize it from retinol, which is vitamin a and can also be made from pro vitamin a carotenoids such as alpha carotene and beta carotene and beta cryptoxanthin.

so accutane skips all those steps and enters cells endogenously or from the outside instead of being formed inside the cell where it is naturally made, it is this unnatural route that can make it so toxic, from what i know it isnt normally found outside of cells, so the drug is absorbed by cells and slows the rate of proliferation or growth which can halt the process of acne, which is the increased rate of sebaceous gland cells and keratinocytes(skins cells), slowing the rate of these cells reduces sebum, and keratinocytes no longer block pores which allow p acnes to grow and become inflammed. p acnes survive in a sebum rich, oxygen deprived environment.

good luck.

I agree with this post. In addition to what I posted above, I will add that Accutane is not a cure. If you are genetically predisposed towards acne, your acne will return after coming off the drug.

Yes it is, but the side effects are challenging for most people. it does what it sets out to do however, gives you clear skin.

if you can handle the temporary unpleasantness i say go for it!

good luck.

JB

in my opinion, it's worth to try accutane. before accutane, i was on doxy and BP. It literally did nothing, except BP did great job for the first few months. so, when my derm asked me to try accutane, I said yes. 14 days after taking accutane, initial breakout happens, but my previous breakout were healed after taking accutane. the side effect I got is dry nasal membrane and It prolongs my strep throat.