Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
French Affair

Accutane. Canada. Questions

Hello a couple questions.

First Accutane in Canada, is it legal here? If so does any one know how much it costs here? Does health care cover it or will we be stuck with the price. The thrid is how willing are doctors to give it out? i've had acne for 5 years, and i've tryed evey over the counter cream/wash/what ever i can, nothing has worked. I've seen the success people have with accutane and i am hopeing i can get it so it can clear me up befour college. What is the chance of doctors giveing it out?

Thank you.

Accutane is legal here, I've actually seen boxes of it stacked behind the counter at my local pharmacy biggrin.gif

The other two questions, I have no idea as I am not taking accutane. You'd have to speak with your doctor first. He/She will probably put you on an antibiotic first. If you do not respond to that within 3 - 6 months, you may either: a) get a stronger antibiotic, or cool.gif get accutane if your acne is bad enough.

Be careful and make sure you want to take accutane. It has many side effects that come with it's 'cure'.

one prescription on a 40mg alternating days (1 pill then 2 an so on...), will last only 3 weeks an will cost around $150......im covered by my skools health plan so i pay $15.....typical length for accutane is 5 months minimum till it totally clears you....so u do the math...lol......good luk

Hello a couple questions.

First Accutane in Canada, is it legal here? If so does any one know how much it costs here? Does health care cover it or will we be stuck with the price. The thrid is how willing are doctors to give it out? i've had acne for 5 years, and i've tryed evey over the counter cream/wash/what ever i can, nothing has worked. I've seen the success people have with accutane and i am hopeing i can get it so it can clear me up befour college. What is the chance of doctors giveing it out?

Thank you.

Hey there,

1) Accutane is legal in canada...comes in 10 mg and 40 mg pills (no 20 mg ones like the US)

2) It is NOT covered by healthcare...for 30 pills of 10 mg, it costs about $160...good thing is though is that all the consultations + blood work is free free free! if you go to univeristy or have drug insurance, (like I do), accutane is free free free......gotta love Canada!

3) If you have tried everything, maybe even some antibiotics, and acne is affecting your life for a very long time, then accuante may be for you...it depends on how your doctor is....doctors who are not used to prescribing accutane (doesnt have to be a derm btw..family doc is suffice), are less likely to presribe because of inexperience.......if you really want it, switch doctors....you WILL find a doctor who will prescribe you Accutane.........

Doctors who have experience in presrcibing Accutane tend to be more liberal in their requirements for accutane....why? Because they can see its benefits almost ALWAYS outweight the side effects.....people may disagree with me...but I strongly think the general public is oversensitive about its side effects.........

If I'm going to college in Canada and have medical coverage, would my perscription be cheaper or even free? Does it cost money to visit a derm and ask them questions? Thanks.

Depends if your Canadian or not....and if you are, depends if you are in or out of province....but if your Canadian dont worry...just some paperwork...dermatologist are covered unless its cosmetic stuff (cortison injection is consider cosmetic by OHIP, but it IS covered by PRIVATE insurance)...if you have the university health plan, prescriptions are generally 80% less....

If you are non-Canadian, Im not to sure about that...I believe you have to pay fees, and they arent very cheap...