Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
segalo

Curios as to use SA and BP...

Hello all,

I've been on Dan's regimen for roughly 4-5 months and i've had moderate acne which as cleared up about 90%. The thing is, my face is red only on my cheeks and my forehead. I don't use a soap, but rather start my regimen with washing my face thoroughly with water alone. After that i apply 2.5% on the spot BP, followed by Eucerin AHA lotion. What i want to know is if i can clear up the redness while still holding the pimples at bay by adding SA to my regimen. I was thinking SA in the morning with no bp and just apply the AHA lotion after. Then at night only would i apply the BP but no SA. Would switching off like this help at all? If so which SA brand. etc etc. I've also read that article that another guy made about BP causing pre-mature aging or wrinkling and am scared about that so by cutting down to BP once a day i thought that would eliminate that. Any input on this is appreciated and desperately needed. sad.gif

if your skin is already iirritated SA won't help. I would say go gently but doesn't lok like you could... is your face dry and feel bad a lot?

I want to know what you mean by "washing your face thoroughly"? hmm.....just be careful not to irritate your skin or prolong the washing phase. I think if you've got 90% improvement - that is great!!! In terms of retaining the clearing effect ...I think that is something you are going to have to experiment with.

- You could try bp once a day - or slightly less bp and see how your skin responds

- You could give sa a go as well...you might consider an sa moisturiser at night for example...or an sa solution instead of the bp. Be warned some people find that combining sa and bp is just too irritating.

In your position I would make a small change and then review how your skin responds.

Good luck

yea only change one thing at a time wait at least a week until you change anything else. if you lower the bp and start using an sa moisturizer and you break out, or gets worse you'll never know the cause

Sa only helps for the dullness bp and other meds can cause and to slowly fade any color spots left from previous breakouts, it is a chemical exfoliant. if the redness on your face is due to dryness or irritation SA will make it worse. IMO your skin needs more time to adjust to the bp before the redness will subside, then you can slowly add other products if needed.

4-5 months might seem like a long time, but I have been using sa and differin combined for about 2 years and in all honesty it probably took a year before my face was completely used to it. i didn't so much get the redness, but did get a lot of dryness.

someone on this board recommended pure aloe vera, colorless, the kind you get at a health store. said that the aloe vera really reduced the redness caused by bp. if the skin on your cheeks and forehead feels dry, thin, or irritated the aloe vera would probably be a good bet.

imo sa does help give your skin a healthy glow but like all acne products it is important to start low and slow as it does have the potential to irritate and dry.

Good Luck smile.gif

p.s. for those with dry skin either naturally or bp induced, sa preparations such as neutrogena healthy skin anti-wrinkle anti-blemish cream (comes in a tube) can be a big help. my sister uses it to spot treat because her skin doesn't handle higher percentages of sa real well. i find it greasy, but it may be perfect for your cheeks and forehead, moisture plus sa.

thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try and take it one step at a time, starting with some minor SA to see how my skin responds.