Notifications
Clear all

Subcision Seems Best.

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 03/19/2012 3:44 am

So after searching this website far and wide. I have noticed a trend. The people who have recieved subcision seem to be the most pleased with their results. This is of course for rolling scars. So. Here is an opportunity to post about your subcision and compare notes. Lets discuss.

1. Risks of subcision.

2. Improvement

3.Overall Satisfaction

4.Doctor

5.Price

Lets talk about subcision folks considering subcision-suction is one of the newest treatments out to date.

MemberMember
(@tognaccini)

Posted : 03/19/2012 10:16 am

1. Apart for some red swollen cheeks for a few days after the procedure i didn't find any risks involved. The procedure itself is bloody and it hurts if not numbed appropriately, so make sure to take time between numbing injection and subcision itself. I've felt every single dense fibrous band beeing released in the first procedure, my second was much more painless, probably because i've already know what to expect and was mentally prepared. I've got my last subcision in a tuesday and by wednesday i was working regularly. It looked like i've been hardly punched in the face but nothing serious to deal with.

2. 6 weeks after my 2nd procedure and im still seeing improvements week after week, it looks like some scars are healing and filling significantly. Don't except to see result immediately after subcision or you would get dissapointed. In a week it can look even worse but by the 3rd or 4th week you will begin to see some improvements. Give it time, it can take weeks or even months to collagen to grow continuously. I took dozen of pictures and looking at them i can say now that for the first days you will be completely overwhelmed with the results since you're experience some swelling that levels your skin perfectly, after the first week i noticed that some scars looked largest than before and it was just after four weeks that i started to see some results. By now i've some scars that looked like folds caused by the acne scarring almost leveled up with the surrounding skin.

3. I'm pleased some scars is softening so much that are hardly noticeable, sure i don't expect a miracle, i don't expect to get completely rid of them but i'm feeling much more confident about my acne scars. Even under the midday sun, the worst natural lighing ever, there's a new me.

Note that i've been treated combining subcision with dermal filler injections which is a good option to sustain the released epidermis.

MemberMember
(@jacno)

Posted : 03/20/2012 12:26 pm

How deeP do u guys think subsicions good for? I got deep ones but at the same time i have alot of shallow ones together that form a a bad texture.

MemberMember
(@nightlilly89)

Posted : 03/20/2012 2:44 pm

subcision made alot of my deep ones shallow and shallow ones hard to detect. might as well try to see how you respond.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 03/20/2012 7:50 pm

So after searching this website far and wide. I have noticed a trend. The people who have recieved subcision seem to be the most pleased with their results. This is of course for rolling scars. So. Here is an opportunity to post about your subcision and compare notes. Lets discuss.

1. Risks of subcision.

2. Improvement

3.Overall Satisfaction

4.Doctor

5.Price

Lets talk about subcision folks considering subcision-suction is one of the newest treatments out to date.

1. Improvement: depends on a number of factors: do you smoke? How deep are your scars? How many treatments are you willing to undergo? Do you have realistic expectations or do you expect to have a complexion like Christie Brinkley or Mario Lopez have the procedure? Does your diet support collagen development and do you use topicals that promote collagen formation (i.e. ester C, Retin-A, etc.). Are you open to trying multiple modalities at one time? (subcision + fillers, subcision + suction, subcision + dermarolling, subcision + laser, subcision + chemical peels, etc. ?) You need to take 'before' and 'after' photos. You'll be surprised at how your skin will change over the course of the time. Many times, it's so gradual that you don't notice it right away and it's easy to forget what you looked like in the first place. My photos document my journey from my starting point to the present and serve as a continual reminder of far I've come.

3. Overall satisfaction - subcision has been the single most effective procedure I've undergone for reducing the appearance of my scarring. Keep in mind that the progress can be incremental and don't expect it to be instantaneous - it's kind of like filling a swimming pool with a garden hose - it takes time.

4. Doctor - the better the skill, the better the results. During my last procedure, my dermatologist went at my scars from a variety of angle and I heard a lot of popping sounds - a definite sign that he was undermining the scar tissue. My doctor's nurse had me mark the scars that I wanted treated and I definitely think that this is a good thing - you should get what you're paying for.

5. Price - my doctor charges $400 per subcision procedure (both cheeks). Based upon what I've seen on the internet - that's a bargain! Shop around for the best doctor at the lowest price - especially if you need to undergo more than one procedure to see the types of results you want to see.

I rented a car with a sunroof tonight for my job. Before my acne scar revision treatments, I would have never opened the sun roof and let the sun hit my face directly from above due to the way it made me look. Tonight, I opened the sun roof and let the sun stream in. Due to all of the treatments I've undergone over the past three years, my skin didn't look bad at all.

Life is good.....

Matt

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 03/21/2012 2:34 am

1. Risks of subcision.

2. Improvement

3.Overall Satisfaction

4.Doctor

5.Price

1. Improvement: depends on a number of factors: do you smoke? How deep are your scars? How many treatments are you willing to undergo? Do you have realistic expectations or do you expect to have a complexion like Christie Brinkley or Mario Lopez have the procedure? Does your diet support collagen development and do you use topicals that promote collagen formation (i.e. ester C, Retin-A, etc.). Are you open to trying multiple modalities at one time? (subcision + fillers, subcision + suction, subcision + dermarolling, subcision + laser, subcision + chemical peels, etc. ?) You need to take 'before' and 'after' photos. You'll be surprised at how your skin will change over the course of the time. Many times, it's so gradual that you don't notice it right away and it's easy to forget what you looked like in the first place. My photos document my journey from my starting point to the present and serve as a continual reminder of far I've come.

3. Overall satisfaction - subcision has been the single most effective procedure I've undergone for reducing the appearance of my scarring. Keep in mind that the progress can be incremental and don't expect it to be instantaneous - it's kind of like filling a swimming pool with a garden hose - it takes time.

4. Doctor - the better the skill, the better the results. During my last procedure, my dermatologist went at my scars from a variety of angle and I heard a lot of popping sounds - a definite sign that he was undermining the scar tissue. My doctor's nurse had me mark the scars that I wanted treated and I definitely think that this is a good thing - you should get what you're paying for.

5. Price - my doctor charges $400 per subcision procedure (both cheeks). Based upon what I've seen on the internet - that's a bargain! Shop around for the best doctor at the lowest price - especially if you need to undergo more than one procedure to see the types of results you want to see.

I rented a car with a sunroof tonight for my job. Before my acne scar revision treatments, I would have never opened the sun roof and let the sun hit my face directly from above due to the way it made me look. Tonight, I opened the sun roof and let the sun stream in. Due to all of the treatments I've undergone over the past three years, my skin didn't look bad at all.

Life is good.....

Matt

Thanks for the great post Mr.Matt. Subcision-suction seems to be a procedure that holds promise. After I get the skin to level up to an acceptable level (im not picky) I will probably look into TCA peels, lactic acid peels etc. I dont smoke. Have a healthy diet. Lots of exercise.

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 03/21/2012 9:38 pm

Should I be looking for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for this treatment? It seems the number of doctors who perform subcision is small.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/22/2012 3:28 am

derm ^

MemberMember
(@under-the-radar)

Posted : 03/22/2012 12:05 pm

Excellent observation Coppedsynergy999. There certainly is much more positive feedback from people of subcision that most of the other methods available. There is a small amount of literature from journals and studies floating around the internet which may also provide some good conclusive evidence. Try searching for some of the articles as they seem to show quite pleasing results.

Tognaccini - congratulations and also Mr Matt - well done you really sound like one happy chappy!

Although one can never expect perfection, it is nice to know people out there are achieving success.

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 03/22/2012 12:12 pm

Sorry everyone my mistake...:(...

http://www.realself.com/question/subcision-bound-dermatoloic-surgeon

http://www.realself.com/question/can-any-dermatologist-do-subcision-rolling-acne-scars-or-only

At the end, it's matter of choosing the right doctor who has expertise in this technique, not about plastic surgeon vs dermatologic surgeon...

Hope you'll find a good doctor!

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/22/2012 4:06 pm

plastic surgeon

Why do you say that? I don't know any PS's that do it.

MemberMember
(@crzyakta)

Posted : 03/27/2012 7:37 am

Mr. Matt or anyone else familiar with subcision, any recommendations for a good doctor in the NYC/NJ area? I am about too book one for multiple treatments but am torn, as I would like to take a shot with a reputable one.

Thanks in advance guys

MemberMember
(@ny212)

Posted : 03/27/2012 11:30 am

Mr. Matt or anyone else familiar with subcision, any recommendations for a good doctor in the NYC/NJ area? I am about too book one for multiple treatments but am torn, as I would like to take a shot with a reputable one.

Thanks in advance guys

I am also looking for a good dr in the NYC/NJ area. There is Jeffrey Rapaport in NJ who is known for subcision but I read many pros and cons about him. You can check the board for his reviews. I have a consulation with Dr. George Yang next week who is a facial plastic surgeon. I have read some positive things about him as well. I can keep you posted.

MemberMember
(@jesture)

Posted : 03/28/2012 12:24 am

Thanks in advance guys

I am also looking for a good dr in the NYC/NJ area. There is Jeffrey Rapaport in NJ who is known for subcision but I read many pros and cons about him. You can check the board for his reviews. I have a consulation with Dr. George Yang next week who is a facial plastic surgeon. I have read some positive things about him as well. I can keep you posted.

Definitely keep us posted. I've heard some nasty things about Rapaport as well.

MemberMember
(@greg098)

Posted : 03/28/2012 3:31 am

Heres my before and after photos of subscision:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=41229

MemberMember
(@soontobemd)

Posted : 03/28/2012 2:59 pm

Heres my before and after photos of subscision:

http://www.acne.org/...attach_id=41229

Amazing improvement!

Have you tried the subcision/suction method?

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 03/28/2012 3:24 pm

Greg 098 - That is an amazing improvement from your first photo. Thanks for posting those photographs as they have given me hope that my scars can also be improved.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 03/28/2012 4:41 pm

yeah thats real good improvement. how much does it cost?

MemberMember
(@kidrock29520)

Posted : 03/28/2012 10:07 pm

1. Risks - There are always a risk with any procedure that involves damaging the skin. However, from what I've read and from my experience there is very little risk when it comes to subcision.

2. Improvement - I saw pretty much an immediate improvement after my first subcision and after my second go around, it made my scars virtually unnoticeable ( compared to how they were ). They are still there but I'm nowhere near as self conscious about them now as I was and people can't even tell that I had pretty bad acne scars.

3. Overall Satisfaction - Can't really describe my satisfaction. It was really a life changer for me. I had gotten to the point where I really didn't even want to be around people because I was so self conscious/embarrassed about how my skin looked. It's crazy how just a little dent in your skin can effect your whole life. There is no doubt it was the best 1000 bucks I've ever spent and like I said, it literally changed my life.

4. Doctor - Dr. David Spencer out of Winston-Salem, NC. For those interested his website is... [Removed].

5. Price - $500.00 each session ( Includes an optional chemical peel as well ).

MemberMember
(@greg098)

Posted : 03/29/2012 2:40 am

Each subscision cost me $950 AU (that is $986 US). It normally isnt this dear but my doctor has to travel because I live in the country. I had 5 subscisions. I could of continued but I chose to get fillers. I may continue with subscision after my fillers wear off.

I have not tried subcision/suction method yet. I may consider this if I still see the need to continue with subscision. The suction method is still very new and a lot of doctors dont do it yet.

Subscision is not an instant fix. It takes a long time to see results (as you can see by my photos). It's been about 8 or 9 months since I first started subscision.

There isnt really many risks with subscision except for bruising and possible infection if you dont take your anti-botics! The anti-botics I had, had very bad side effects like bruising (my arms were covered in bruises) and diarrhea but everyone is different.

I would totally recommend subscision. Just look at my results (and im still seeing results everyday). Don't lose faith if your skin was as bad as mine. I thought NOTHING will help me and look at my face now. I still have a little way to go but i am extremely happy.

You can follow my thread at: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/306901-my-acne-scar-journey/#entry3180109

MemberMember
(@kidrock29520)

Posted : 03/30/2012 12:16 am

Subscision is not an instant fix. It takes a long time to see results (as you can see by my photos). It's been about 8 or 9 months since I first started subscision.

I don't know if I'd say it takes a long time to see results. I think that all depends on the person receiving treatment and the skill of the doctor that is performing the treatment. I know after the swelling went down from both of my procedures, I saw the improvements right away.

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 03/30/2012 3:01 am

Each subscision cost me $950 AU (that is $986 US). It normally isnt this dear but my doctor has to travel because I live in the country. I had 5 subscisions. I could of continued but I chose to get fillers. I may continue with subscision after my fillers wear off.

I have not tried subcision/suction method yet. I may consider this if I still see the need to continue with subscision. The suction method is still very new and a lot of doctors dont do it yet.

There isnt really many risks with subscision except for bruising and possible infection if you dont take your anti-botics! The anti-botics I had, had very bad side effects like bruising (my arms were covered in bruises) and diarrhea but everyone is different.

I would totally recommend subscision. Just look at my results (and im still seeing results everyday). Don't lose faith if your skin was as bad as mine. I thought NOTHING will help me and look at my face now. I still have a little way to go but i am extremely happy.

You can follow my thread at: http://www.acne.org/...y/#entry3180109

What size needles did the doc use?

MemberMember
(@jbird12)

Posted : 04/08/2012 5:13 pm

Subcision has been the single most effective treatment in improving my scars. I've had two treatments thus far spaced out six months apart. As someone else noted, I'd say the improvement is similar to filling in a swimming pool.

The first treatment was in conjunction with Fraxel laser. I over-estimated the improvement at first as by the 4th week, most of the pitted scars reappeared.

The second treatment was in conjunction with Fraxel and a Palomar laser with XD Microlens head. I had this treatment in November and it significantly improved the scarring on the right side of my face. It's hard to put percentages on improvement, but I'd say somewhere around 70% improvement in the scarring. I was seeing results as late as between the 3rd and 4th month post treatment. The 2 pitted scars on the right side of my face have improved some as well but I'd put the improvement at only 20%.

I'm going to have my 3rd treatment in May, similar to the second treatment as that has been the most successful improvement to date.

The downtime varies post-subcision. The first treatment I was bruised for almost 2 weeks while the second round I looked ok after about 5 days.

The most difficult thing about subcision is finding a doctor who performs it.

MemberMember
(@coppedsynergy999)

Posted : 04/08/2012 6:08 pm

Subcision has been the single most effective treatment in improving my scars. I've had two treatments thus far spaced out six months apart. As someone else noted, I'd say the improvement is similar to filling in a swimming pool.

The first treatment was in conjunction with Fraxel laser. I over-estimated the improvement at first as by the 4th week, most of the pitted scars reappeared.

The second treatment was in conjunction with Fraxel and a Palomar laser with XD Microlens head. I had this treatment in November and it significantly improved the scarring on the right side of my face. It's hard to put percentages on improvement, but I'd say somewhere around 70% improvement in the scarring. I was seeing results as late as between the 3rd and 4th month post treatment. The 2 pitted scars on the right side of my face have improved some as well but I'd put the improvement at only 20%.

I'm going to have my 3rd treatment in May, similar to the second treatment as that has been the most successful improvement to date.

The downtime varies post-subcision. The first treatment I was bruised for almost 2 weeks while the second round I looked ok after about 5 days.

The most difficult thing about subcision is finding a doctor who performs it.

Thanks for the input! So a couple things we need to know.

1. What size needle was used to perform your subcisions?

2. What is the doctors name and city,state that the subcision was performed?

-Thanks!

MemberMember
(@jbird12)

Posted : 04/08/2012 6:27 pm

I don't know the needle size..he used different sized nokor needles.

I saw Dr. Robert Weiss located outside Baltimore MD. He specializes in lasers and will probably push for laser treatments at the consultation but he does perform subcision. Most of all, I find him to be a compassionate doctor and reasonable on his prices for the treatments.