Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jenny P

How Long Does Diet Take To Kick In?

I am paleo, I'm eating only fish, eggs, vegetables, and fruit, and no starchy vegetables and cooking with coconut oil...

So when should I stop if I don't see any results? 2 months? 4? 6?

How long do you think I should give this a try to see if the diet works for me?

With the paleo diet, when will your skin stop producing acne?

I've been at a pretty paleo approach for about six months now, and idk. It's kind of weird explaining. I saw results about two weeks in, then it seemed like it took 3 months to notice any more of a change and now it's getting better again.

It's kind of hard to determine clarity with the purple/red marks of scarring, which can be discouraging when looking in the mirror. Mine's finally faded noticeably but the more I think I'm doing myself a favor by making extractions the more I have to realize that every time I do, especially on active spots, it's going to leave a mark. Getting up in the morning and going out to do stuff is pretty beneficial because by the time I get home the tiny under-skin spots I'll get will have become little white specks which I can take off no problem/no repercussions as opposed to forcing them first thing in the morning and making it worse.

When I feel like dusting on the organic mineral makeup with no scary ingredients I love, I don't really feel like I'm hiding anymore, it literally just evens out my skin tone without me having to cake it on.

I've been at a pretty paleo approach for about six months now, and idk. It's kind of weird explaining. I saw results about two weeks in, then it seemed like it took 3 months to notice any more of a change and now it's getting better again.

It's kind of hard to determine clarity with the purple/red marks of scarring, which can be discouraging when looking in the mirror. Mine's finally faded noticeably but the more I think I'm doing myself a favor by making extractions the more I have to realize that every time I do, especially on active spots, it's going to leave a mark. Getting up in the morning and going out to do stuff is pretty beneficial because by the time I get home the tiny under-skin spots I'll get will have become little white specks which I can take off no problem/no repercussions as opposed to forcing them first thing in the morning and making it worse.

When I feel like dusting on the organic mineral makeup with no scary ingredients I love, I don't really feel like I'm hiding anymore, it literally just evens out my skin tone without me having to cake it on.

What do you eat in a day?

I messed up and ate waffles with butter and jam because i started to feel hopeless again. Diet is prob the hardest thing to do cause i don't completely believe in it. I mean, I tried eating overall healthy before and did it for 2 weeks but i still kept getting breakouts so i gave up.

Slowly making changes, it took probably 6 months or so. If you do things right, then it'll take less time. If you're cheating, then you're doing it wrong. Seeing that you've made multiple posts, it seems clear that you're stressed out. You need to get rid of the psychological hold acne has on you first of all. If you're constantly stressed about your skin day in and out, it's going to make doing all the other stuff like sleep, diet, exercise, and relaxing wayyy harder. Be patient and consistent with diet/lifestyle changes.

What do you eat in a day?

I messed up and ate waffles with butter and jam because i started to feel hopeless again. Diet is prob the hardest thing to do cause i don't completely believe in it. I mean, I tried eating overall healthy before and did it for 2 weeks but i still kept getting breakouts so i gave up.

I know how you want to rush to the fastest results possible but if you find yourself constantly regressing, then it's time to pace yourself and give up one to a couple things at a time.

Sure, it seems like most of us jump right in and give up the wheat/gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, processed foods, etc. but I can assure you finding a balance avoiding all those things hardly ever comes naturally to anyone. Rather than seeing it as making it hard on yourself and charging through to this kind of diet, which seems strange and abstract and "oh what can it hurt if I have this ice cream I've had acne for so long I can deal with another spot or two if that's what it takes to have this ice cream".

Only it's not even the one ice cream that'll do it, it's the constant allowance of things the ice cream is made up of into your physical being. So in theory you could "cut back" on the ice cream, but then you may not even see results at all, which is why it's important to remove some kind of aspect of it at a time.

Which foods are the ones you come running to when feeling hopeless about tracking your food intake or your skin situation, Jenny P? Is it crunchy and salty? Chocolatey? Donutty? Think about it and figure out what it is. Then just focus on removing the basis of it. Ditch wheat/gluten. Refined sugar, cane sugar, corn syrup, sweeteners of any sort. Dairy. Soy. Whatever is the hardest for you, stay away from that one first. Don't even worry about the others, they'll fall into place on your avoidance list soon enough. But the more you deny yourself all those things, the more you're gonna crave that one thing. So get rid of that one thing and have an open attitude about the others "well I can't have ice cream because dairy is my hardest challenge, so I guess I'll go have a slice of multi grain bread, even though it has gluten". Suddenly the "replacement" option won't even seem worth it.

I think about this shit all day, too. "Oh, I denied myself a cookie in a cookie shop with friends earlier because they didn't have a gluten-free option, so maybe I'll pop into a storeon the way home and reward myself with a chocolate". I'll literally stare down a package of chocolate, put it down, and walk out of the shop. It's just something you practice, telling yourself "You know, I don't really need this". And sometimes you don't feel like suppressing the desire so you'll have it anyways, don't beat yourself up over it, just try to focus on something healthy you have in your fridge that you can make and that makes you feel good afterward. And if you're going to splurge, make sure it's on some fancy tiramisu if you're out to dinner with your parents or a home-made cookie your friend is offering you. But stuff like popcorn or donuts or cheap things that are everywhere and constantly at your disposal? Don't waste your time.

Prioritizing pleasure is a weird sensory game in that while you're not the only one involved, you're the only player of your game. But you also get to make up the rules as you go along. Just find new ways to cheat or don't cheat at all.

I am paleo, I'm eating only fish, eggs, vegetables, and fruit, and no starchy vegetables and cooking with coconut oil...

So when should I stop if I don't see any results? 2 months? 4? 6?

You should never stop eating mostly real, whole nutreint dense foods and limiting processed foods and drinks. Never. For reasons far more important than acne.

I think about this shit all day, too. "Oh, I denied myself a cookie in a cookie shop with friends earlier because they didn't have a gluten-free option, so maybe I'll pop into a storeon the way home and reward myself with a chocolate". I'll literally stare down a package of chocolate, put it down, and walk out of the shop. It's just something you practice, telling yourself "You know, I don't really need this". And sometimes you don't feel like suppressing the desire so you'll have it anyways, don't beat yourself up over it, just try to focus on something healthy you have in your fridge that you can make and that makes you feel good afterward. And if you're going to splurge, make sure it's on some fancy tiramisu if you're out to dinner with your parents or a home-made cookie your friend is offering you. But stuff like popcorn or donuts or cheap things that are everywhere and constantly at your disposal? Don't waste your time.

Yes, very little commercially prepared foods are that good, especially cookies. I have never understood the appeal of Mrs Fields, Famos Amos, those big Birthday cookies which are especially bad, etc. Even way before I knew anything about health. They aren't good and not worth the money.

And why don't you carry some dark chocolate or something with you to have while your friends eat the crappy cookies.

The first part took me a couple of months of gradually reducing the processed foods in my house and adding in better stuff. Then I got to the point where I could cut out gluten, dairy and refined sugars. I did this second part for two weeks only and only had a couple of spots at the end of the two weeks. It was also clear at a time when I would always have the worst acne breakouts. Unfortunately my Dr then asked me to go back onto a wheat and dairy diet so they can check me for Coeliac and lactose intolerance. I am at this stage now and once I have been tested I will be taking gluten and dairy back out irrespective of the results as either way I suspect they are the problem.

Once I am free of gluten, dairy and refined sugars again I will be more certain of other foods and their role. However I can say from looking at other people's logs on here that when I was clear I seemed to be eating more herbs and spices than others do and I think this might help with the inflammation. I suppose I'll need to look into that a bit more. I also eat meat or fish every day now whereas previously I would have days where I ate pastas with veg sauces only. I reduced and then cut out caffeine as well. I added in a lot of green veg over that 2 week period as well - I was eating them with lunch and dinner, probably about 4 portions a day. Fruit was only 1 portion a day over that two week period.

I didn't get to the eating treats again stage so I'll have to see how I feel about that once I am back off the gluten/dairy. But my plan was batch bake gluten free stuff like brownies and keep them to hand for when I felt tempted.

Also, I changed a lot of other things - sleep, sunlight, stress. But I had further to go with my holistic changes. I don't believe it is just diet with me.

Honestly, I would definately eat a certain diet if I knew 100% it would clear me. I would follow a strict diet of only lean meat, vegetables, and fruit, and nuts if I knew for a fact it would clear me. Diet is not hard at all if you KNOW the diet you are on will eventually clear you...but if your doing it just to kinda see if things clear up but, your not too sure if it will work for you then it's so easy to just eat whatever is available.

So I can easily EASILY follow a diet but, IF I am 100% positive it will clear me. I went on a diet of just raw fruit and raw vegetables for several months because I KNEW in my mind it would clear me, and yes it did clear me.

But i don't wanna do that diet again because it made me really skinny and i saw a pic of a guy who went on that diet and he lost alllll his muscle, and muscles are what makes my body look toned and the ONLY thing attractive about me is my body so I don't want to lose that.

Which is why i have been searching for other methods of clearing skin besides diet..