Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User98562

Ate Gluten And Dairy For 4 Straight Days In France Without Side-Effects

A little over a year ago i confirmed that i was gluten and dairy intolerant :http://www.acne.org/...96#entry3196096

Last week i went to Paris with my wife and i accepted the fact that ill tolerate any side-effects because i can't deny myself French pastries. I ate chocolate croissants, cakes, crepes and other gluten and dairy filled treats all day long for 4 days. I had no bloating, no gas, and no acne at any point... I really can't explain this.

Is it because i have been avoiding these foods for so long that ive recovered some tolerance to these foods, or is it something in the process of fertilizing, cleaning, pasteurizing and preparing the wheat and milk that France does that the U.S. does differently that may be the cause of our intolerance?

A little over a year ago i confirmed that i was gluten and dairy intolerant :http://www.acne.org/...96#entry3196096

Last week i went to Paris with my wife and i accepted the fact that ill tolerate any side-effects because i can't deny myself French pastries. I ate chocolate croissants, cakes, crepes and other gluten and dairy filled treats all day long for 4 days. I had no bloating, no gas, and no acne at any point... I really can't explain this.

Is it because i have been avoiding these foods for so long that ive recovered some tolerance to these foods, or is it something in the process of fertilizing, cleaning, pasteurizing and preparing the wheat and milk that France does that the U.S. does differently that may be the cause of our intolerance?

I find this amazing but not surprising. I believe Food Allergies are common worldwide but I think the Soybean and modified Corn is US foods exploit this in Western Countries. I would advise you to stay GF in this country.

PS Michael J Fox & Elizabeth Hassleback (the View) share your experience.

It might be the difference in how it's processed. Maybe the bread is sprouted over there?

If you've been eating really well, it's possible you've healed your intolerance.

Either way, I'm really glad you were able to just enjoy yourself on your trip!

A few other orgers seem to share the same experience. There's many factors that could have changed since then, I'm sure you don't have nearly as much inflammation as back then, better gut flora to help digest and ferment foods, overall better gut/digestion, overall nutrient dense diet, minimal stress, stuff like that all help keep things running well.

1) Your digestive tract is probably healthier.

2) the quality of food is far better in France at every stage and they most likely use long fermentation methods in preparing dough --rather than the cheapest quickest thing they can to earn the biggest profit like they do in the United States. But you can find such things in the U.S., just not from Big Food.

You could also make your own breads:

Better breads and bread substitutes

Better Grains - Cooking methods and substitutes.

Edited by alternativista

French pastries mmmmm.

It could've just been a change in atmosphere, which can be very stimulating for "good vibe" brain chemicals. And the nutrient-dense/way the French prepare their food, so pretty much what everyone else has said. Also if your showering/topicals you used were minimized whilst travelling, that'll do wonders for the skin. So will small meals which have lots of time between them, idk how frequently you were washing/eating but that's another factor.

Hit up all your local pastry/donut shops where you live in the US and I don't think you'd get the same results, haha.

Same thing happened to a co-worker who is gluten intolerant. He went hiking in Patagonia and just knew he wouldn't have the luxury of being gluten-free. He had no problems with any of the wheat products while there, which was 2 weeks in total. In the airport in Texas, he had wheat and immediately got sick again. I think wheat outside the US is less genetically modified, maybe the bread is allowed to rise more, or who knows! But it's definitely interesting!!

What many people forget, probably in their over extensive search and excitement once they find something that might work.. is that gluten for one affects those with sensitive guts aka leaky gut or those with a genetic predisposition to it like Celiac disease.. If you're intestines are not healthy it will show up via food intolerance expressed through different things like acne.

So many people think "hey gluten = acne because it increases insulin sensitivity and blah blah blah to your system. They go through 3 months of detox and a new diet and come to these forums saying i got clear.... Well sure but not everyone for one is able to avoid gluten and not everyone needs to either. Treat the source of the problem aka your intestines if possible before going on some crusade that will affect your life as a whole forever. If you can repair your gut and or improve its health you can "teach yourself to better handle it" If such makes sense.

I'm not doubting gluten and or the insulin sensitivity as described by scientific studies though i am doubting the need for a diet free of it.

So im glad you can get gluten, like me without side effects. I believe if you eat a wide variety of foods, moderate exercise. and get enough probiotics in your diet you can kick gluten's ass if you will.

All in all speaking from experience I see the whole gluten thing over hyped. Although we are all hardwired genetically different I see it as not the only option to cure/manage acne.

Edited by k3tchup

What many people forget, probably in their over extensive search and excitement once they find something that might work.. is that gluten for one affects those with sensitive guts aka leaky gut or those with a genetic predisposition to it like Celiac disease.. If you're intestines are not healthy it will show up via food intolerance expressed through different things like acne.

Well sure but not everyone for one is able to avoid gluten and not everyone needs to either. Treat the source of the problem aka your intestines if possible before going on some crusade that will affect your life as a whole forever. If you can repair your gut and or improve its health you can "teach yourself to better handle it" If such makes sense.

I believe if you eat a wide variety of foods, moderate exercise. and get enough probiotics in your diet you can kick gluten's ass if you will.

You are partly right. Or mostly right. The thing is, that gluten damages the intestines so they become sensitive. Especially in the amounts of gluten in our food today that is prepared in the cheapest possible way with all kinds of short cuts rather than in traditional methods that reduce the harmful lectins. Especially when you also don't eat the foods that help heal from the damage.

Gluten lectins do affect everyone because they bind to the very substance our mucin linings are made from.

Well sure but not everyone for one is able to avoid gluten and not everyone needs to either. Treat the source of the problem aka your intestines if possible before going on some crusade that will affect your life as a whole forever. If you can repair your gut and or improve its health you can "teach yourself to better handle it" If such makes sense.

I believe if you eat a wide variety of foods, moderate exercise. and get enough probiotics in your diet you can kick gluten's ass if you will.

You are partly right. Or mostly right. The thing is, that gluten damages the intestines so they become sensitive. Especially in the amounts of gluten in our food today that is prepared in the cheapest possible way with all kinds of short cuts rather than in traditional methods that reduce the harmful lectins. Especially when you also don't eat the foods that help heal from the damage.

Gluten lectins do affect everyone because they bind to the very substance our mucin linings are made from.

Especially the way wheat is altered in the US (i.e. the Round-up ready, GMO, Monsanto wheat that is in EVERYTHING!!)

Especially the way wheat is altered in the US (i.e. the Round-up ready, GMO, Monsanto wheat that is in EVERYTHING!!)

Yes, that's a good point. And it wasn't the same before Monsanto or other evils either. Hard vs Soft wheat or something. I remember reading a book on bread making a long time ago that said not to bother trying to recreate French or whatever bread. you don't have the oven for it and we don't have the same wheat.