Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JamesC122

Is Accutane Too Extreme?

Hi guys smile.png ive had acne now since i was 13/14, although it was only very mild when i was young ive still always had a form of acne, I'm now 17 and it's went from 1 or 2 pimples to about 20 across my jaw line, there is a few blemishes on the rest of my face but not many.

Because ive had acne for so long it's really starting to depress me, i haven't had a girlfriend for over a year now which is annoying because i've been going gym for nearly two years and have a decent physique which i've worked hard for but i feel as if all that effort is wasted by having acne.

I've tried a lot of over the counter creams, scrubs etc. but none of them have really helped, i've recently been using a treatment cream that has help a little with the blemishes but not with the acne across my jawline sad.png

I am really considering accutane, although i have not yet tried the regimen i know it's going to be a long journey to become completely acne free and after 4 years i think i've waited long enough, i can't drink alchol as it causes break out's for me and i need to avoid having too much milk as i also found that causes me to break out which is hard as it used to be my main source of protein.

Is taking accutane too drastic? would it be better if i watched my diet carefully and tried the regimen?

here's a pic from a while ago when i had little acne which isn't noticable, you can see my face is a little red http://www.facebook....&type=3 (ignore the glasses and stupid hairstyle)

i will look for some pic's of my current acne and upload them soon :)

Edited by JamesC122

A lot of people have acne along their jaw because they touch it too much, or rest their chin in their hands. Try not to touch the area, eat less dairy, and try the Regimen for a little while. If nothing works, see a dermatologist and he/she might recommend Accutane.

A lot of people have acne along their jaw because they touch it too much, or rest their chin in their hands. Try not to touch the area, eat less dairy, and try the Regimen for a little while. If nothing works, see a dermatologist and he/she might recommend Accutane.

thanks for the help smile.png i take creatine and drink whey protein, could these contribute to the problem also accutane and creatine both dehydrate in a way so if i go on accutane should i stop taking the creatine? the whey protein i need to drink as it replaces the milk and i heard creatine induces hyperhydration thereby resulting in a more efficient thermoregulatory response, so aslong as i drink 8 glasses of water per day i will be fine right? If heard a lot of mixed storys with accutane, some saying it changed their lives and got rid of acne forever and others saying its done the total opposite but if the regimen don't work i suppose it's worth the risk :/

I actually never touch my face but i only wash my pillow case every 2 weeks so i will do that more frequently and see if it helps :)

Edited by JamesC122

I was big into weightlifting and still am and protein shakes wreaked havoc on my skin. I started off buying isopure protein powder which did not bother my skin too much but it got to be too expensive after a while so I switched to cheaper brands and my skin got progressively worse and worse. I also took creatine monohydrate in cycles as well where I would load with a large dose for a week, maintain it with daily doses and deload after a couple months of use. I've had multiple doctors tell me that if I absolutely must take the creatine to avoid alcohol consumption at all costs as it strains the liver much more than if you were not on creatine at all. Also I would avoid the accutane my close friend got erectile dysfunction from taking it.

Too bad I've never taken creatine, nor do I drink whey protein so I have no warnings of my own. But I found this old thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/75909-creatine-and-accutane/

I suppose if you can stop the creatine while you're on Accutane, do it. Accutane does so much to your body, you should try to do as little as possible aside from that.

In nmy opinion, ur cause of acne is from creatine. I know a lot of people who get a lot of acne from creatine because it messes with hormones. Try to decrease dosage and don't suddenly stop creatine.

Edited by ohhhhhhnooooooo

i don't think creatine messes with hormones/testosterone in anyway so i don't think it could be directly the creatine, maybe because the creatine helps me lift harder in the gym my testosterone levels are highering that way? i've fininished college for 2 months so i'm not stressing as much and i've started to clean bulk rather than dirty bulk which is costing me a lot but it means im not taking in large amount of saturated fats and sugar, my acne has improved a lot in just a few days :) i'm still on creatine and whey protein but i think just the fact from eating healthier, getting more sleep, lowering stress and drinking more water has reduced my acne :) i'm starting to clear up, if the progress stops i will consider quiting creatine, thanks for the help :)

thanks for the help smile.png i take creatine and drink whey protein, could these contribute to the problem also accutane and creatine both dehydrate in a way so if i go on accutane should i stop taking the creatine? the whey protein i need to drink as it replaces the milk and i heard creatine induces hyperhydration thereby resulting in a more efficient thermoregulatory response, so aslong as i drink 8 glasses of water per day i will be fine right? If heard a lot of mixed storys with accutane, some saying it changed their lives and got rid of acne forever and others saying its done the total opposite but if the regimen don't work i suppose it's worth the risk :/

I actually never touch my face but i only wash my pillow case every 2 weeks so i will do that more frequently and see if it helps smile.png

Deffo. If you avoid whey and creatine completely you will notice an improvement within a few weeks.

Before roaccutane would say treat it with your diet. It is the best way to stay clear in the long run.

Easiest way to do this is avoid dairy & high gi foods & too much caffeine (all affect your hormones).

If you go on a healthy diet like this you will be treating your acne from within and all you need is a simple gentle cleanser once day. Often harsh chemical products aggravate things. If you must use a moisturiser be sure it is non-comedoegnic (will not clog your pores).

I had acne for 5 years. Now stick to diet above and use this cleanser once a day http://www.purelynat...acne-cleanser/. Find there is no need to moisturise. Less is more when it comes to your skin care regime. Skin has never been better and even get the odd compliment.

Edited by naturaldoctor