Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyanJ21

How much time does your dermo spend w/ you?

I have only been to one dermo and I was just wondering how much time he/she normally spends w/ you. Mine usually comes in bs w/ me for a few mins. looks at my face prescribes me something new and that is about it. He never really talks about side effects or really what to expect w/ the meds. I was wondering if this is normal. Thanks.

hello,

i know exactly your concerns. you must demand to be heard. the last time i went to my derm i took a list of things i wanted to ask and say. she had no choice but to hear me. you have to be concise but voice your concerns. don't let them push you out of the office before your time.

good luck.

It isn't that he pushes me around or doens't listen to me. It just that he doesn't give an info unless I ask. He answers questions. I would just like him to volunteer info, because sometimes there are things I dn't htink about asking.

I'm from the UK and my derm is amazing. He's always talking, listens to everything, and he gives me leaflets for more information to read at home. I only spent about 15mins at the consultation but that cost me £125 so I'm not surprised he was awesome.

Damn they make alot

Ryan, my doctor does not spend a lot of time with me, prob 10 minutes. She does answer any questions I have as does yours. When I get my rx's filled if I am new to it I always ask the pharmacist to talk to me about the drug, precautions, side effects, etc. If I come up with a question later I call and speak to the pharmacist. They can be very helpful, also they see all your meds as long as you use the same pharmacy, so they may see something your derm may miss, like if you take a diff prescription from your general practioner. If I have questions about an OTC drug affecting my rx's I again call the pharmacist. Just make sure you speak to the actual pharmacist and not one of the assistant's, they are not as educated. Good luck!

last time i went into the derm, the doctor wasn't even planning on seeing me. the nurse came in and talked to me and i had to request to see that bitch(the derm). it was my follow-up appt to(2nd one, after he prescribed meds). you'd at least hope he's wondering how the meds turned out.

My derm didn't even spend 5 minutes talking to me. She glanced at my face (didn't even inspect it), wrote a prescription and sent me out the door. I had a bunch of questions I wanted to ask her but she seemed so impatient and rude so I just left. I'm starting to belive the majority of doctors are like this. You'd think they'd be a little more nicer seeing as how that's their job but I guess not.

My dermatologist (I've only seen her twice) seemed to be alright. My first appointment lasted maybe 15-30 minutes. She asked a few questions about my allergies, etc. The second time I went in because of a problem with my prescriptions and I think I was in there for maybe 5 minutes. All she did was look at my face and then changed my duac to klaron.

ha, my new derm just looked at my face and told me if i ever considered accutane. It's funny because i went in there wanting to be prescribed for the medicine. She took forever on explaining the side effects and kept asking me if i was pregnant, sexually active, or planning on being active. I was confused because another derm came in. I know she wasn't the nurse because she acted like a doctor. I personally loved the attention. Two derms, ha, i felt like freak. But you know who are rude, its the secretary people. They always seem to have some kind of attitude. seriously, is it that hard to schedule people, answer calls, and smile?

Because I have had acne for so long, I have seen 6 dermatologists over the last 25 years. I'm glad the current one is by far the best.He spends as much time as we need. He seems to really enjoy being a doctor.With some doctors not just derms, they look at you like a paycheck and not a person.I've started writing down questions before I go to any doctor appt. My OB/GYN didn't like that so much, so I got another doctor. For the $ they charge, I expect my medical questions answered period.

I've had two consultations this year in the Uk. The first was with an NHS derm which was absolutely free, I spent about half an hour with him even though I had barely any acne at that time and I wasnt particularly fussed about asking any questions. Then a few weeks later my acne flared up again and I couldnt wait the 4 months needed to see an NHS derm so I had a private consultation with the head dermatologist, which only took one week to book. That cost £90 and I had half an hour with her. Both derms were helpful, the NHS seemed a bit more sympathetic though.

Ye, when i first went in he just asked me questions bout my weight etc. then asked me why im here to see him, he said acne lol. Then he looked at my face took some notes and wrote a prescription, had a bit of a talk about what he was giving me. He COULD have been a bit better but i was to fussed, my mum was with me, she sees him aswell.