Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jenny P

Can You Drink Alcohol Without Getting Breakouts?

Drinking 3 nights a week? Not drunk, just enough to become more talkative (maybe 1 or 2 shots of vodka)...is it possible to drink and NOT get any breakouts and if so what alcoholic beverage do you recommend.

I'd say it's possible, but it's also possible that you WILL break out. I feel this varies from person to person. I don't ever drink 3 nights a week, but I recently had wine one night and drank a couple beers with lunch the next day, and I did not experience any type of breakout from doing so. But then again, I'm one of those people that diet really has no effect on my acne. I went from eating super healthy to eating junk and fast food during my early college years and experienced no change in my acne. If you're one of those people that break out after consuming sugar, I'd definitely stay away from all the sweet mixed drinks (pretty much anything with juice if not making it yourself, bars buy the cheapest stuff possible, usually very high in sugar...and of course anything mixed with soda). I'd base your answer on how your skin has previously reacted after consuming alcohol...sorry I'm not more helpful!

I think it depends on the alcohol. For example, if I drink a lot of beer, the next day I can definitely expect a new breakout. If I drink whiskey or rum I'll break out too. But if I drink cheap vodka(Kamchatka, McCormick, Dark Eyes, etc) then I don't. I'd say it's the sugar and carbs that break me out, compared to the pure rubbing alcohol of the cheap vodka..haha

I've been getting drunk 2-3 times a week for the past month or so. No new breakouts except when I was so drunk I passed out and vomited all night and couldn't wash my face properly.

I've been getting drunk 2-3 times a week for the past month or so. No new breakouts except when I was so drunk I passed out and vomited all night and couldn't wash my face properly.

lol oh how I have had those nights back in my college days lol

Stick to vodka distilled from potatoes, not wheat. It was a mistake I made in thinking all vodka was distilled from potatoes. Uh uh. Just stay away from grain alcohols in general. Sure, there's stuff to be said for the fermentation process of beer and nutrients it can provide you but ~probably~ not with the messed-up state of the gut in most people with acne. At least not until you tend to that part first, the gut I mean. The harder the alcohol the better, an occasional vodka or gin won't kill your face. Rum/whiskey/tequila are gonna be trial-and-error in seeing what works for you. Shmeh.

As far as wine goes, the dryer the less sugar/the better. One time I had fizzy peach wine one night, like maybe 2/3rds of a bottle? And woke up the next morning with super inflamed spots. That day I also had dark chocolate and popcorn, corn being something that usually gives me an allergic-reaction type of acne.

Stay away from sugar, foods you're sensitive/intolerant/allergic to, and things the governments subsidizes, kiddos.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!