Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lngo

My Friend Has Flawless Skin, Was On Accutane, But...

He's never used sun screen, cared about what he eats (exception of alcohol), etc.

He's had terrible acne since middle school and I only had it since the end of high school, so he's had it for a long long time. But now he has flawless skin. He told me he took accutane, and that's the reason why I'm taking it because I saw the result. Anyway, I kept asking him question about what to eat, what sunscreen to use but he said it wasn't important? He said when he was prescribed accutane, he didn't know what it was and just took it like any other drug. He received it, took it, never read the instructions, etc. It's like taking any other drug like for example eye drops. Doctor tells you to do it twice a day you do it, no point reading the ten page of manual. He said he didn't know how serious accutane was until I told him (he knew it caused dryness but that was pretty much it).

So because his experience, he's been eating junk food, going out without any sunscreen (and by the way, he does not use any cleansers) and his skin is flawless. Maybe it's because he's a guy and he's lazy (haha), but his results pretty much showed. He told me he would just use Vaseline at night and "any lotion" for his dry skin. I said what does he mean by "any lotion" and he said any lotion that he could find at home - like Nivea, Aveeno, etc.. (and yes, on his face too).

So the question is... Does sunscreen really matter? What brand your moisturizer is? What you eat? Is this even all necessary?

Wow, I'm shocked he didn't know about any of the risks and side effects with Accutane. When I took it, I had to sign all sorts of papers and do the iPledge thing every month.

My advice, wear the the sunscreen (maybe a brimmed hat too.) I didn't use any particular brand, but I did religiously wear spf 55 every day. Granted, by the end I was literally snow white. As for a moisturizer, I ocassionally used vaseline, too, because I had extremely dry skin. I actually had these patches on my ribs that were raw and very painful, so I would slather some vaseline on.

After two cycles of accutane, I still ended up reverting back to my old skin, so I've since looked into the nutrition/holistic route, which is working pretty well now. There's plenty of information here on the forums.

Wow, I'm shocked he didn't know about any of the risks and side effects with Accutane. When I took it, I had to sign all sorts of papers and do the iPledge thing every month.

My advice, wear the the sunscreen (maybe a brimmed hat too.) I didn't use any particular brand, but I did religiously wear spf 55 every day. Granted, by the end I was literally snow white. As for a moisturizer, I ocassionally used vaseline, too, because I had extremely dry skin. I actually had these patches on my ribs that were raw and very painful, so I would slather some vaseline on.

After two cycles of accutane, I still ended up reverting back to my old skin, so I've since looked into the nutrition/holistic route, which is working pretty well now. There's plenty of information here on the forums.

Accutane is working extremely well for me... But I have not been using sun screen and I've been going out everyday (school/work). I just use the moisturizing cream by Cetaphil morning and night and it has worked fabulous. If it works good, why change it? I don't need sun screen if I'm seeing results from my cream. However, I did buy the Neutrogena UltraSheer one since it seems the most favorable on this site. I just used it and my face looks like a ghost. Hopefully this does not break me out or ruin my skin otherwise I'll regret using the sun screen when the cream was already working fine.

Honestly, while I was on accutane, I don't think it was possible for anything to break me out, unless I rubbed my face in dirt and maybe some sort of bacteria culture. Sunscreen never broke me out. Also, you might be fine with the cream. I'm really pale and sunburn easily to begin with, so the accutane just made it that much worse.

Sounds to me like you're doing fine, so I wouldn't worry so much about specifics on products.

Honestly, while I was on accutane, I don't think it was possible for anything to break me out, unless I rubbed my face in dirt and maybe some sort of bacteria culture. Sunscreen never broke me out. Also, you might be fine with the cream. I'm really pale and sunburn easily to begin with, so the accutane just made it that much worse.

Sounds to me like you're doing fine, so I wouldn't worry so much about specifics on products.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. If the moisturizing cream is working fine for me - no break outs, and I see improvements (without sunscreen), then why should I apply sun screen?

You should really wear sunscreen while on accutane. How long have you been taking it for?

I've never taken it last couple of months because it was still snowing here, it was only this week that it surprisingly went from 1-2 degrees to 20. After using sun screen, I can see multiple white heads now, so now I'm unsurei f I want to continue with it. I mean, the Moisturizing Lotion from Cetaphil worked perfectly fine, did not break me out, and my skin was getting clearer (even though it did not have any SPF), so I think I'd rather just stick with that.

You should really wear sunscreen while on accutane. How long have you been taking it for?

I've never taken it last couple of months because it was still snowing here, it was only this week that it surprisingly went from 1-2 degrees to 20. After using sun screen, I can see multiple white heads now, so now I'm unsurei f I want to continue with it. I mean, the Moisturizing Lotion from Cetaphil worked perfectly fine, did not break me out, and my skin was getting clearer (even though it did not have any SPF), so I think I'd rather just stick with that.

Neutrogena makes an oil free sunscreen (it's with the face lotions, not tanning products). It just makes me so shiny! Anyone have a good one that doesn't make you all shiny?