Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
krnbatman

I Got Oily Skin How Should I Wash It?

So in the past my dermatologist recommended me to wash my face with dove bar soap before i wash it with my facial wash due to my oily skin. Now i've read from plenty of sources that this is bad because it can over-dry the face.. im really confused.. should i or should i not wash my face with soap

Many bar cleansers are not soaps, but contain synthetic detergent cleansing agents and various thickening agents that keep the bar in its bar form. Most soaps are considered very drying and potentially irritating for skin due to their alkaline base (i.e., a pH over 8). Bar cleansers can be more gentle than bar soaps, but are more often than not still drying, depending on their composition (Sources: Cutis, December 2001, pages 12–19; Archives of Dermatologic Research, June 2001, pages 308–318; and Dermatologic Clinics, October 2000, pages 561–575).

just use a gentle facial cleanser

So in the past my dermatologist recommended me to wash my face with dove bar soap before i wash it with my facial wash due to my oily skin. Now i've read from plenty of sources that this is bad because it can over-dry the face.. im really confused.. should i or should i not wash my face with soap

Use a very gentile cleanser.

A rule of a thumb

Any Ingredients you see on the label that you do not understand, Don't but it. Sodium Laureyl Sulfate is very good at "cleaning" the Oil away. But it's too used for Kitchen Floors too. It does a great job leaving those floors Oil Free.

Would you want that on your thin layer of skin?

Recommendations

Even Cetaphil is by far harsh due to chemicals in it. The ingredients changed throughout the years..

A gentle pure fat-based soap should be good. E.g Castor/Coconut Oil Soap etc.

Use a very gentile cleanser.

A "gentile" cleanser? I should only use a cleanser for gentiles? smile.png

RESTORZ handmade soap ( online) is my secret. All natural and no chemicals. Try the tamanu oil with it it is absolutely healing. Be well!

Definitely use a "gentle face soap" such as Cetaphil or Cerave.