Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cubb

20 % Benzoyl Peroxide?

Just recently went to the dermatologist and he prescribed 20 percent benzoyl peroxide cream. the benzoyl peroxide looks like it was made at the office. It is also water based so he said it wont cause irritation. is this a horrible idea to take? after reading acne.org it seems like this is extremely unnecessary. Am i at risk for longterm skin damage using this high of a percentage?

sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

I wouldn't use Benzoyl Peroxide at all if I were you. There's nothing good about it...it might help your acne on the outside, but it's doing nothing for the underlying problem, and it's definitely not worth it for the long haul.

It was definitely made in his office. I'm just skeptical about using it since its so strong. Don't want to permanently damage my skin.

20% sounds like a ridiculously high concentration to start with, especially since research has shown that lower concentrations work just as well, but show less/less severe side effects. I would definitely talk to my derm and have him/her explain why s/he prescribed this.

Coinciding 2.5% causes some pretty red faces on acne.org, I'd hate to think what 20% would do!

So far it hasnt caused any irritation but this may be due the prior use of dans bp. im suppose to take it once a day at night. its working really well but i dont want to mess up my skin permanently so im probably going to back off it once im completely clear.

Never heard of it that strong, but if it's working... I've used bp since I was a teenager... I'm 49 now. It hasn't caused any problems for me. If I exfoliate very well and use BP, that's the best routine I've found.. (I'm not willing to go on strict diets).