Notifications
Clear all

Can Vitamin D Supplements Worsen Acne?

MemberMember
(@tk112233)

Posted : 03/15/2012 4:20 pm

i had my vitamin D levels checked and mine were at 18 ng/ml. normal levels are at 30 ng/ml. my primary doctor prescribed me vitamin D 50,000 IU once a week for 8 weeks (so i'll just be taking 8 pills for two months). is there any chance that i could break out from taking these supplements?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 4:54 pm

I don't know. I suppose it's possible that some of the symptoms of Vitamin D toxicity could appear and impact your acne. such as dehydration/constipation, irritability which could = stress, etc. Do you have to take that amount once a week as opposed to spreading it out? You are getting 50,000 IU pills? You can't get out into the sun instead?

And FYI, those so called 'normal' levels are still too low.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:03 pm

Even though the doctor prescribed it, I would highly recommend not filling the prescription and buying your own oil based Vitamin D-3 pills, online or in-store. I've read hundreds and hundreds of reviews about vitamin D, and there's 3 things I've noticed.

1. There are almost no side effects complained of when people take oil based D-3, however there are great amounts of complaints from the doctor-prescribed 50,000 Iu pills.

2. The dry form of Vitamin D-3 is extremely less effective at raising levels than the oil based D-3. (For example, I've read where people have taken 5000 IU of dry D-3 for 3 months with little change, and upon switching to 5000 IU of oil-based, they saw an increase of 30-40 ng/ml in the same amount of time.

3. There is apparently no difference between the oil-based D-3 and the vitamin D we make from sun exposure, whereas the doctor prescribed D is quite different.

Not to mention, it's supposed to be more effective if you can take 1 pill a day with less IU, than taking 1 pill a week that contains a megadose.

If you get the oil-based D-3, I see no reason why it should cause your skin to break out.

MemberMember
(@tk112233)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:11 pm

i'm gonna wait to fill the prescription and ask my dermatologist to see what he thinks, just in case. because it's my primary doctor prescribing this, not my derm.

and honestly, i'd rather not take any sort of pill to get vitamin D. why can't i just sit out in the sun for 15min everyday and eat salmon/fish 4-5 times a week?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:21 pm

that sounds like too much vitamin d too me, i dont see why you want to ever take more then 1000 iu, even to treat a deficiency, even in studies where severe fat malabsorption is present, 1000iu of vitamin d has proven to restore blood levels in a timely manner, and you probably do not have any fat malabsorption issues.

i have experianced negative side effects from high dose vitamin d supplements, when i say high dose i mean in the 2000-8000iu range, which is not really considered high but never has it affected my acne, just makes you a bit constipated and effects your sleep quality. at higher doses it is immunosuppresive and that may explain the toxicity symptoms of constipation.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:24 pm

In the winter, we absorb basically no vitamin D. And depending on where you live, the only time to get adequate levels might be during the summer. Your doctor will recommend prescription unless he knows you on a more personal basis or truly cares about his patients, because he is, in fact, a doctor, and wants to make money just as every other person wants to. As I said though, I've researched a lot about Vitamin D, and they say there is honestly no difference between the oil-based D-3 and the D-3 you would manufacture from the sun. The reason is the oil-based D-3 comes from cod liver oil and fish oil a lot, which is just taking the Vitamin D the fish manufactured and putting in a gel capsule for us. The only difference between soaking in the sun and taking the supplements, is that if you don't get your levels tested every 6 months like you should, and you go stupid about how much vitamin D you're taking, you could technically develop toxicity.

This is because when your body makes D-3 from the sun, it makes however much it needs and it is impossible to develop toxic levels from the sun. However, when you supplement, you're bypassing the manufacturing state, which means you voluntarily control your levels, rather than letting your body involuntarily control the levels.

If you're that deficient however, I would recommend starting on 5,000 IU oil-based D-3 per day until your next appointment to check your levels. If you get your levels checked somewhat regularly, you can then put yourself on maintenance doses of 1,000 or 600 IU daily, rather than the "CATCH-UP" dose of 5,000 IU daily.

Regardless, I would really advise you to avoid the prescription and Dry D-3 forms.

MemberMember
(@annamoyer)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:28 pm

For the record, the prescribed Vit D is not the D3 in the oil based supplements or that one can get from the sun. Instead it's D2, which your body can tolerate high levels of and then convert to D3. I think the idea is that your body makes as much D3 as it needs to regain a healthy level.

Either way, I'd still go with the oil capsules of D3.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:33 pm

Actually, there's at least one researcher that says that in addition to the D3 we also make a sulfated form of vitamin D that is water soluble and can go places and do things the fat soluble D3 can't. Mercola posts articles citing her all the time.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:35 pm

For the record, the prescribed Vit D is not the D3 in the oil based supplements or that one can get from the sun. Instead it's D2, which your body can tolerate high levels of and then convert to D3. I think the idea is that your body makes as much D3 as it needs to regain a healthy level.

Either way, I'd still go with the oil capsules of D3.

Which is where I think the complaints of side effects come into place, because your body must convert it to D-3 and then probably doesn't use all of it, putting excess work on other parts of the body. Either way, glad someone agrees... haha

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:36 pm

i'm gonna wait to fill the prescription and ask my dermatologist to see what he thinks, just in case. because it's my primary doctor prescribing this, not my derm.

and honestly, i'd rather not take any sort of pill to get vitamin D. why can't i just sit out in the sun for 15min everyday and eat salmon/fish 4-5 times a week?

You can and should. And you probably don't need to do it every day. Just know that most of the D is made in your torso area, not so much your face, arms and legs. Also, the sun has to be high enough in the sky. UVB rays bounce off the atmosphere when they hit at an angle. If your shadow is longer than you are tall, the angle is definitely too low.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:39 pm

Actually, there's at least one researcher that says that in addition to the D3 we also make a sulfated form of vitamin D that is water soluble and can go places and do things the fat soluble D3 can't. Mercola posts articles citing her all the time.

I've heard something along those lines as well, however when it comes to Vitamin D, since there are different forms and doctor can prescribe it, I like looking at people's reviews. 90 percent of people I've read about talk about how well oil-based D-3 works with no side effects, while 75 percent of people I've read say that the prescribed form causes all sorts of weird symptoms. I guess in reality, there might be nothing wrong with the prescribed form, but I'm just giving the best recommendation I can based on research and hundreds of reviews.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:41 pm

I've heard something along those lines as well, however when it comes to Vitamin D, since there are different forms and doctor can prescribe it, I like looking at people's reviews. 90 percent of people I've read about talk about how well oil-based D-3 works with no side effects, while 75 percent of people I've read say that the prescribed form causes all sorts of weird symptoms. I guess in reality, there might be nothing wrong with the prescribed form, but I'm just giving the best recommendation I can based on research and hundreds of reviews.

???? I'm not talking about prescribed forms. I'm talking about the D your body makes from the sun.

MemberMember
(@tk112233)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:41 pm

in the letter my doctor sent me it says: "vitamin D deficiency is relatively common especially in Western New York". which is true since the only time we get real good sunlight is in the summer months. like during the fall and winter months here, i try to stay inside as much as possible. so like the past 7 months i haven't been outside that much at all since it's cold and then i get my levels tested just a few days ago. so no wonder my vitamin d levels were low. but in the summer, i do go outside..but i don't like staying outside for too long cause i don't like being hot.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:46 pm

???? I'm not talking about prescribed forms. I'm talking about the D your body makes from the sun.

Yes, and I never claimed that the oil-based D-3 is a perfect and 100% completely acceptable substitution for natural sunlight. However, when you can't get enough sunlight, oil-based D-3 is the best you can get because it is chemically the same as the D-3 we manufacture from sun exposure. It may well be very more beneficial to have the added sulfate water soluble form you get from direct sun exposure. But at the same time, the oil-based D-3 supplements don't run the risk of developing skin cancer from UV rays.

MemberMember
(@annamoyer)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:49 pm

lol, I have the same problem. I'm also from Western New York! One of my close friends was diagnosed with depression due to lack of sun and vitamin D, so she started taking supplements. Her uncle who's a doctor told her she just needed 15min of sun 3 times a week. Of course, her uncle is from California, and she's here in good old gloomy Western NY.

I'd say it's always better to get sun, but sometimes you have to supplement or eat vitamin D rich foods.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 5:54 pm

Haha I think everyone thinks I'm suggesting the oil-based D-3 over natural sunlight. I don't think any semi-intelligent person would recommend that, as light is the most significant natural source of energy. However, when you can't get enough natural sunlight (those of you here that live in New York..ha), then oil-based D-3 is your best bet, not to mention it's cheap as hell.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 6:24 pm

AnnaMoyer--Off topic, but have you ever watched Prison Break? Because I could honestly mistake your picture for Sarah on that show. Haha

That's a compliment anyway, nothing bad.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 03/15/2012 6:36 pm

If you are allegric to cod liver oil which is normally what D3 comes from in softgels then yes it could cause acne (did with me). Dry forms on the other hand tend not to. Just wait and see i guess

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/15/2012 6:51 pm

The cod liver oil caused you acne or oil-based vitamin D-3 pills did? Not calling you a liar whatsoever, I just find it hard to believe the Vitamin D would be the actual cause of acne. I would think it would be attributed to the ingredients involved. But, I've been wrong once or twice. cool.png

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/16/2012 10:10 am

in the letter my doctor sent me it says: "vitamin D deficiency is relatively common especially in Western New York". which is true since the only time we get real good sunlight is in the summer months. like during the fall and winter months here, i try to stay inside as much as possible. so like the past 7 months i haven't been outside that much at all since it's cold and then i get my levels tested just a few days ago. so no wonder my vitamin d levels were low. but in the summer, i do go outside..but i don't like staying outside for too long cause i don't like being hot.

Hasn't it been warm there for most of this winter? And come to Houston in the summer before you talk to me about not liking the heat.

Haha I think everyone thinks I'm suggesting the oil-based D-3 over natural sunlight.

LOL. And you seem to think everyone else is suggesting no one take D3 supplements. How many times are you going to type your D3 lectures out? We don't need them.

All I was saying was that might be reasons that you do need to try to make some D from the sun. As much often as you can.

lol, I have the same problem. I'm also from Western New York! One of my close friends was diagnosed with depression due to lack of sun and vitamin D, so she started taking supplements. Her uncle who's a doctor told her she just needed 15min of sun 3 times a week.

15 minutes of sun when it is high in the sky. And with as much of your torso exposed as possible. Which isn't easy for a lot of people in this terribly unhealthy way of life we've evolved.

Even though the doctor prescribed it, I would highly recommend not filling the prescription

Yeah, unless you are talking about an acute, critical condition, go to doctors for tests and diagnosis and then do your own research into what kinds of nutrients/foods and lifestyle behaviors will address your problem.

MemberMember
(@jal-v)

Posted : 03/16/2012 10:24 am

Hasn't it been warm there for most of this winter? And come to Houston in the summer before you talk to me about not liking the heat.

Haha I think everyone thinks I'm suggesting the oil-based D-3 over natural sunlight.

LOL. And you seem to think everyone else is suggesting no one take D3 supplements. How many times are you going to type your D3 lectures out? We don't need them.

All I was saying was that might be reasons that you do need to try to make some D from the sun. As much often as you can.

lol, I have the same problem. I'm also from Western New York! One of my close friends was diagnosed with depression due to lack of sun and vitamin D, so she started taking supplements. Her uncle who's a doctor told her she just needed 15min of sun 3 times a week.

15 minutes of sun when it is high in the sky. And with as much of your torso exposed as possible. Which isn't easy for a lot of people in this terribly unhealthy way of life we've evolved.

Even though the doctor prescribed it, I would highly recommend not filling the prescription

Yeah, unless you are talking about an acute, critical condition, go to doctors for tests and diagnosis and then do your own research into what kinds of nutrients/foods and lifestyle behaviors will address your problem.

I agreed with you about why there may be extra reasons to get natural sunlight, and then gave a positive about D-3 over sun exposure. Each time I posted on this board about D-3, it was a reply in a different manner that added more insight as to why I feel D-3 is better. If YOU don't need my lectures, then that's fine, but don't speak for other people by saying WE don't need my lectures, because obviously people want to know about vitamin D, hence the reason the OP posted about it. In no way did I say that people think D-3 shouldn't be taken at all, but people seem to keep bringing up points about getting 15 minutes of sunlight a few times a week. In summer that's fine, but not everyone lives in Texas, and it's pretty obvious that it's hard to absorb sunlight for a lot of people. Not to mention, not a single person I know from my town would go outside at noon, when it's 30-40 degrees, shirtless, in order to get adequate sunlight, if that's even possible. So sure, maybe I lecture, but it's because I feel strongly about D-3 over the doctor prescribed form, and I feel strongly about D-3 when it's impossible to get enough sunlight. It IS a forum, I can post as I feel, and the whole purpose of my posting is to tell people what I know from research, so they don't have to waste as much time as I did researching. Sorry for intending to help, and if the lectures are too much and YOU don't need them, then stop reading and responding to my posts.

MemberMember
(@annamoyer)

Posted : 03/16/2012 1:07 pm

Chill, kiddies, chill. We're all friends heresmile.png

@Alternativista: It's true, we have had an unusually warm winter here, but unfortunately warm doesn't equate with direct sunlight at the proper angle. Lately it's been pretty overcast with a lot of bright but diffused sunlight. Too bad though; I'd really rather get a bit of sun (maybe a bit of color too). Wish I could take a vacation to somewhere sunny and exotic.

Off Topic:

@Jal V: No, I haven't really seen any Prison Break, maybe one episode. But I googled it and yeah, I can see it. It's really only this one picture though, I don't think I really look that much like her (wouldn't mind having her flawless skin, though, lol). My profile pic is actually really old; I've since cut off all my hair. Thanks for the compliments though.

MemberMember
(@tomthepom)

Posted : 11/09/2020 3:26 am

Vitamin d3 was giving me cystic acne,took me months maybe yearsto realise as I always read it helped acne. Was taking 1000 UI daily. Positive effect as soon as I stopped. Had to stop eating my 4 daily eggs though to get completely clear, perhaps overload. Now can eat pretty much as normal although I eat very healthy.
So my two cents is that it could be worth stopping vit d supplementation if youre experiencing cystic acne, see if it helps.Were all different though right?

MemberMember
(@jeffreyhuynhhotmail-co-uk)

Posted : 11/19/2020 5:36 pm

I think it is also giving me cystic acne. I took it one day for the first time ever and got 2 cysts the next day. So I decided to give it a rest for a few days...

Then in order to test it, I tried it again for another 2 days and have got 2 further cystic breakouts.

Ive read that vitamin d3 increases testosterone levels so can this be the cause after taking just one (4000iu) tablet?

I can barely find anything online about vitamin d3 actually causing acne...

On 11/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, TomThePom said:

Vitamin d3 was giving me cystic acne,took me months maybe yearsto realise as I always read it helped acne. Was taking 1000 UI daily. Positive effect as soon as I stopped. Had to stop eating my 4 daily eggs though to get completely clear, perhaps overload. Now can eat pretty much as normal although I eat very healthy.
So my two cents is that it could be worth stopping vit d supplementation if youre experiencing cystic acne, see if it helps.Were all different though right?