Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is soooo another punch to my gutt... I started taking natural hormone replacement a couple weeks ago...I went to the beach yesterday and when we got to the car and I looked in the mirror, I couldn't believe my face...I developed melasma from my cheeks all the way down to my chin...it looked like dirt! I got home and googled this and found it to be hormone related! I never was told this could happen and I am devastated! Reading literature about this condition, it takes months, years to fade away...or have it forever! I can never lay in the sun, avoid sun at all costs! I live in Florida!! Hello???... I am so depressed and feel like my life is over. I can't stop crying. What am I going to do?? I have hashimotos disease as well, my thyroid issues drain the life out of me. I was never told this could happen because I went to a compound pharmacy that doesn't provide side effects. If I has known this I would never have done it! I am a 41 year old female....life sucks for sure

Hello from Florida also! I developed Melasma from birth control pills and I noticed it last Summer when I started going out in the sun alot. It's devestating. Not only do I have to deal with acne related to the pill but now I have this dirty look to my face because of melasma. I actually look like I have sunglass marks on my face. I stopped taking the pill tis month so hopefully it'll start to fade, altought it can take a really long time. I got an rx from my derm for Lustra Ultra 4% hydroquenone so hopefully that'll speed it up. I also try and get regular chemical peels, but it's hard to because I work so much:/

Thanks for your reply...is the cream working? I have an appointment today with a dermatologist...great that we live in Florida, sunshine state!! I am ready to move. I cannot stop crying! This is awful!! I hope we get a good outcome!:)

Hey. Im a 41 yr old male with skin discoloration on my forehead that looks damn ass weird. My derm says its sun damage, but I think all the acne topicals caused it. Nothing I can do about it either and I still have acne to deal with. Ugly ass nightmare!

Thanks for your reply...is the cream working? I have an appointment today with a dermatologist...great that we live in Florida, sunshine state!! I am ready to move. I cannot stop crying! This is awful!! I hope we get a good outcome!smile.png

What part of FL are you from?? I haven't tried it yet;/ it was $60 and for some reason I had to mail the rx she wrote me to a company to get it so it'll be another week or two til I can try it.

What hormone therapy were you on? Was it for acne or menopause related things?

I also have a touch of this since a few years ago. I did have an ovarian cyst back then so my hormones were totally off.

I've heard mandelic acid gets rid of it, but don't know if that's true.

Also, stopping the hrt can make it go away, but you;'ll need to stay out of the sun for a season, so the summer, so it doesn't come back.

Hydroquinone is the best thing for it 4%. I had melasma that came out when my second daughter was born. I used the brand Obagi that has a product called Clear with 4% Hydroquinone. I also used retin a with it. It completely cleared it. Make sure you use a good sunscreen. It was about seven years ago that I had that problem. But even now in the summer I have a spot that tries to come out in the summer. I just start using the Hydroquinone again and it goes away..

It's not always birth control that causes it. Any change in hormones can cause it. Also you can go to an aestitician at a plastic surgeon or derms office and they can help a lot. IPL also helps with it. But you do want to treat it before it gets really bad or it can become hard to control. Hope this helps

I wasn't on any kind of hormonal replacements, etc. but my upper lip turned REALLY REALLY dark over the past couple of months...and i'm only 16 years old! I know how you feel, and I am so embarassed. It's a lot lighter now though because I've been working on it for the past several weeks. Lemon juice (natural remedy) really helped a lot within just a few weeks. I've used 25% Mandelic Acid (from MUAC) and I got a sample size for only 3$ online. I've used it twice and I already see an improvement! On the site, it says its perfect for melasma as well. and of course, i've been using a neutrogena sunscreen with SPF 100+ .

I wasn't on any kind of hormonal replacements, etc. but my upper lip turned REALLY REALLY dark over the past couple of months...and i'm only 16 years old! I know how you feel, and I am so embarassed. It's a lot lighter now though because I've been working on it for the past several weeks. Lemon juice (natural remedy) really helped a lot within just a few weeks. I've used 25% Mandelic Acid (from MUAC) and I got a sample size for only 3$ online. I've used it twice and I already see an improvement! On the site, it says its perfect for melasma as well. and of course, i've been using a neutrogena sunscreen with SPF 100+ .

Does the mandelic burn?

I suffered from melasma during pregnancy and post. My doctor put me on Differin 3% to help with fading but now I also have PIH (dark spots) from folliculitis. I use sunscreen with zinc (the best from keeping dark spots form getting darker) and exfoliate with a Clarisonic brush (faster turn over makes a HUGE difference for how long spots fade). Also, I get microderm every other month. You could go every month but I have sensitive skin. The last thing I did to get the extra boost was using Philosophy's Miracle worker dark spot corrector. There are mixed reviews it helped to almost completely fade the worst folliculitis spots I had (now barely noticeable under mineral make up) and freckling from melasma and sun damage. the miracle works cream is expensive but I got a sample form Sephora and use it for a spot treatment only. It fading my spots miraculously! I had darker skin and my derm told me my spots would fade over time (max 18 months) if on its own. Who really wants to wait that long?

You could really revise you regimen towards prevention if you continue the hormone therapy but it your stop the therapy it'll go away faster. Good luck!

Does the mandelic burn?

it didn't burn at all! just don't use too much. there was a bit of a warming sensation, but that's normal (it said that on the box). However, I wouldn't recommend putting it on active pimples/zits because I did that and it burned it. THe past couple of days it turned into a black scab, and it actually just flaked off a few hours ago and my skin is back to normal, but man, it sure scared me because I thought it would scar.

Hi. I too am a melasma sufferer. I cried and cried when I first noticed it and then got the actual diagnosis. I have it all over my face! It started with a small dot on my one cheek a few summers ago, 2006. And last winter 2011, I woke up and it had grown from my forehead down to my chin and all around. The only part of my face that is my natural tone are my eye sockets. I stopped my BCP that same day of diagnosis because my Derm said that was causing it. A year later it's still there but not too bad. It lightened a little bit. Vitamin c was very helpful. Everyday before i put on my sunscreen. Make up evens it out. Which is something I never wore. But in addition the acne is back full force. So my new Derm now wants me to go back on the BCP which has been the only thing that has worked for my acne.

Good luck.