Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elisa103

Best Way To Use Regimen Products From Long Time User W/oily Skin

I take my skin care very seriously and have gotten better and better at controlling my acne. I really would like to take a low dose of accutane for my blackheads and clogged pores because have so many blackheads. But derms for years say my acne isn't bad enough to take accutane, but thats only because I take good care of it. If I didn't know how to treat my skin it would look really bad. I know most people with acne may think blackheads aren't as noticeable, but I have them everywhere and it's hard not to squeeze them which causes scars.

Now that I have finally found a way to prevent almost all white heads from forming I'd like to share it. Take into consideration I have very oily skin.

In the morning I wash gently with clean & clear advantage 3 in 1 exfoliating cleanser, then apply Dan's BP and very little moisturizer. I wear liquid foundation during the day so at night I wash with Dan's cleanser because washes it off well since it foams. Then I apply Dan's Alpha Hydroxy Acid before applying benzamycin, you could substitute this with dan's BP. The Alpha Hydroxy Acid keeps you from getting dry because it exfoliates and moisturizes. I could not even use benzamycin without it because it was so drying, but together they are perfect. I wake up so many more morning without zits it's great. - Just so you know the benzamycin is a prescription which is mixed by the pharmacist before they give it to you and has to stay refrigerated which is annoying when traveling. It's made of 5%BP and topical erythromycin (an antibiotic). It costs $140 without insurance, a jar lasts about six weeks.

Basically I find that benzoyl peroxide works better in conjunction with Alpha Hydroxy Acid. The makers of Proactive think so, because their toner which is supposed to be applied before BP has an Alpha Hydroxy Acid in it. Dan's regime Alpha Hydroxy Acid and Proactive's toner use Glycolic Acid.

BTW Mandelic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, and Citric Acid are all Alpha Hydroxy Acids.

Oh and as a tip to using the Alpha Hydroxy Acid, I started using a little in the day to get my skin used to it since it stings a little at first, after a few days I was fine.

But i do have oily skin, I just saw that Dan posted that mixing the regime moisturizer with the AHA helps. Probably for those with dry skin. My skin is oily but sensitive and I was fine using the 10%AHA after by the fourth application.