Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zitty McGhee

Microdermabrasion For 6 Month Old Cysts

Several months ago, I got two gigantic cysts on my chin. I have already diagnosed their cause as hormone related, but I can't get rid of the remains! I also had both of them injected with cortisone twice, and to no avail. Now, six months later, I still have two red bumps on my chin ... they never come to a head and cannot be popped. At the suggestion of my dermatologist, every night for the last six months I have covered them with a Band-aid and a combination of vaseline and Epiduo to both keep the skin moist but also kill the skin and promote new skin growth. Needless to say, the buggers are still here and my dermo keeps telling me I have to "wait it out".

I am considering getting several sessions of microdermabrasions to take off layers of skin. However, this is a very costly investment. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, had you had any success? Any other suggestions are welcome ... my self-esteem has reached an all-time low and I am truly getting desperate at this point!

I am so sorry you are dealing with such an awful flare-up! Can you see another derm? I'm totally not impressed that your derm is not doing more after 6 months of this! You should be on an oral antibiotic to take down the infection and inflammation before you get deep scarring. Nothing topical will help such deep resistant cysts...only something internal. Microdermabrasions will only inflame these deep ones more. Do not do it right now. Later when they are healed you could do microdermabrasion every month or so as a preventative...but it only works if you are also using a topical too. It allows the topical to get deeper into the skin.

My advice is to go back to the derm or go to your regular doc and demand an antibiotic. I personally like Bactrim. It really takes care of the big deep ones.

From personal experience with large cystic acne the best thing to do is to treat them like an abscess. That is what they are anyways. Use epsom salts, a mild face wash, 100% tea tree oil and betadine iodine after they have drained. It should take a month at most for them to come to a head.They might come to a head sooner than that though.

I like to mix 1 tablespoon of epsom salt with 3 drops of tea tree oil and water in a 1 ounce bottle. I let all the epsom salt dissolve in the bottle before using. I use this like a toner morning and night. I use the 100% tea tree oil as a spot treatment.If one of the lesions comes to a head or bursts use the betadine iodine on it. I also drink an ice cold 8 oz glass of water with 2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar mixed in twice a day. It makes your skin look sooo nice :)

You should try this! Its very inexpensive and effective. You can find the tea tree oil, beatdine iodine and epsom salt at any drugstore. Raw apple cider vinegar can be bought at Whole foods, Raily's or any health food store.

Hey guys, thank you so much for your suggestions and sympathy! This has definitely been a test of patience for me. I was originally was seeing two different dermatologists and they both said I'd have to wait it out .... but no way in hell did I think I'd be waiting this long! I should have mentioned that I already am taking 75 mg of Spironolactone per day and that has been great in preventing new breakouts but has done very little to clear up the two cysts on my chin. I doubt my main dermo will prescribe me an antibiotic because she says it is not an active cyst (thus why cortisone shots did nothing) but rather the skin layers have changed shape. With that said, I still am not sure if a microdermabrasion is the best route to go or if a microdermabrasion will just aggravate them more. Has anyone ever considered skin resurfacing? That is a new technology available at my second dermo's office and was thinking I might give that a try ....

So there isn't anything in the cysts? Can you post a picture? I'm curious as to what the cysts look like.

Hey guys, thank you so much for your suggestions and sympathy! This has definitely been a test of patience for me. I was originally was seeing two different dermatologists and they both said I'd have to wait it out .... but no way in hell did I think I'd be waiting this long! I should have mentioned that I already am taking 75 mg of Spironolactone per day and that has been great in preventing new breakouts but has done very little to clear up the two cysts on my chin. I doubt my main dermo will prescribe me an antibiotic because she says it is not an active cyst (thus why cortisone shots did nothing) but rather the skin layers have changed shape. With that said, I still am not sure if a microdermabrasion is the best route to go or if a microdermabrasion will just aggravate them more. Has anyone ever considered skin resurfacing? That is a new technology available at my second dermo's office and was thinking I might give that a try ....

oh and you are very welcome :)

That's correct, there is no pus or anything "in" the cysts, as far as I can tell. I have steamed the crap out of these things by taking long, hot showers, using a hot washcloth, removing a layer of skin and then squeezing them ... and nothing ever comes out. Or perhaps if there IS some pus or bacteria in there, it's still too deep to come to the surface.

Okay, hopefully attaching a picture works. Here it is:

Also, I do realize that it doesn't LOOK bad at all ... keep in mind though that my camera is kind of crappy and old and doesn't capture depth perception very well. You can see that there are two red spots, but photo doesn't really show the fact that they are protruding from my chin.

it doesn't look bad what so ever! when you touch it do you feel something? Or do you feel nothing and is it just red? because if it's just red that usually does take a few months for that to go away! but your skin looks great!