Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristabel

Question About Pcos, Hormones, Phytoestrogens, Soy...

I have pcos. I get acne pretty much only days 1-10 of my cycle.

I wonder if this indicates the particular hormone problem i have?

Also i wondered if its a good idea to drink soy milk because it increases oestrogen, which is good for pcos?

But then on these boards everyone says soy is bad

Pcos usually is related to an estrogen dominance and a progesterone deficiency, so you may want to look into saw palmetto, vitex/chastetree berry, and buckwheat. Those are just some things I picked up from reading about pcos when suspecting that I had it, which I honestly have no idea of anymore (no health insurance to confirm). It don't matta as long as you pay attention to what you eat (nutrient-dense meals) and exercise/sleep okay.

Staying away from sugar/too much fruit is important with any hormonal condition/in general as is soy. The only group soy may be good for is menopausal women. Fermented soy is a bit of an improvement, but over 95% of soy is GM'd and contains harmful chemicals, not just phytates either.

PCOS is usually high androgens. You can take an antiandrogen like spiro or the BCP. Natural remedies get tricky here. If you're overweight too, you're lucky, because diet can have a huge impact on your condition and your skin. If you're not overweight, it's much harder and diet generally doesn't work for thin PCOSers. If you're overweight, you're going to want to go as low carb as you can. If you're normal weight or thin, you can try it, but it can actually make your acne even worse. (Happened to me & a few other thin cysters I spoke with).

Getting acne days 1-10 looks like you have low estrogen, since it's low then. You're probably not going to mess with phytoestrogens because they can make you have less estrogen = more acne. But sometimes they have the reverse effect. It varies.

Saw palmetto is worth a try. Make sure it's standardized 85-95% fatty acids.

You want to stay away from buckwheat if you're PCOS, because it lowers estrogen and can raise testosterone.

Exercise is good for PCOS.

Well, first, PCOS is a syndrome which means it's a collection of various symptoms that you may or may not have.

And if you want to consume some source of phytoestrogens, try flax seed which at least has the extra benefit of omega 3 fats and hasn't been found to permeate the intestinal linings like unfermented soy. And many people report it

Also how is your diet? Do you avoid high glycemic load meals/drinks/snacks? Do you eat mostly real whole nutrient dense foods?

PCOS is usually high androgens. You can take an antiandrogen like spiro or the BCP. Natural remedies get tricky here. If you're overweight too, you're lucky, because diet can have a huge impact on your condition and your skin. If you're not overweight, it's much harder and diet generally doesn't work for thin PCOSers. If you're overweight, you're going to want to go as low carb as you can. If you're normal weight or thin, you can try it, but it can actually make your acne even worse. (Happened to me & a few other thin cysters I spoke with).

Getting acne days 1-10 looks like you have low estrogen, since it's low then. You're probably not going to mess with phytoestrogens because they can make you have less estrogen = more acne. But sometimes they have the reverse effect. It varies.

Saw palmetto is worth a try. Make sure it's standardized 85-95% fatty acids.

You want to stay away from buckwheat if you're PCOS, because it lowers estrogen and can raise testosterone.

Exercise is good for PCOS.

I am underweight :( so its bad news for me then

Well, first, PCOS is a syndrome which means it's a collection of various symptoms that you may or may not have.

And if you want to consume some source of phytoestrogens, try flax seed which at least has the extra benefit of omega 3 fats and hasn't been found to permeate the intestinal linings like unfermented soy. And many people report it

Also how is your diet? Do you avoid high glycemic load meals/drinks/snacks? Do you eat mostly real whole nutrient dense foods?

I eat pretty much just vegetables, meat, fish, sweet potatoes and brown rice.

Had a food intolerance test and am intolerant to things like nuts and seeds.

I was just wondering if the fact my acne is days 1-10 flags up any particular imbalance

Join the club, I am thin and have it too. It's more complicated for us.

I gave a theory as to what may be going on:

Getting acne days 1-10 looks like you have low estrogen, since it's low then

Also, at this time, progesterone has dropped off but it remains the dominant hormone, so less estrogen. At this time of the cycle estrogens and androgens begin to rise and peak at mid-cycle (that's when I break out) but they're low at days 1-10. At the end of the cycle, before the period, progesterone is high and so is estrogen, but it's beginning to be dominated by progesterone now. During the period, estrogen and testosterone are at their lowest, progesterone are at their highest levels. I wonder if your Progesterone gets too high at this time?It sounds like it's dominating your estrogen, causing you to breakout So, days 1-10 are when estrogen is lowest.

From your diet I see you don't eat carbs. You may want to start eating them. They help to make estrogen. Being overly thin (underweight) usually means estrogen is being dominated by androgens or it's on the low side. When I went on a diet like yours my acne went nuts and I got thicker hair on my legs and I lost hair. My androgens took over. If it were me, and it was at one point, I would eat more carbs and see what happens. It helped me. Fat stores also produce estrogen and you sound like you have little fat since you say you're underweight.

I should add that my blood sugar runs on the low side, so that could also be why I need carbs, I need that sugar.

Edited by Prettywords

I was just wondering if the fact my acne is days 1-10 flags up any particular imbalance

Yeah. Look up a chart of hormone fluctuations over the course of the menstrual cycle.