Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DukeBlueDevils

Having A Job With Acne - Simple Question

My question is simple - Is it possible to have a job even with acne? I'm really asking because my parents have stated I'm going to have to get a job by my 19th birthday (May 21st) or they are going to kick me out of the house. If you have acne and have a job currently (or have had a job when you had acne), PLEASE leave a reply saying that you do. I need hope.

During you guys' experiences, have you ever been declined of a job because of your acne or had a job go to another person who just so happened to NOT have acne? Just wanting to know if the employer is going to discriminate during the hiring process. I know discrimination is illegal (in the work field), but the employer could give other, BS reasons as to why he hired somebody else and not you.

Help guys? All replies are appreciated.

Hi i just wanted to reply to this because no one has yet, and it is an important question. I will say this on behalf of an employer looking for staff, acne will have very little if any impact, more important is your attitude and eagerness to fit the job description and fulfil the tasks outlined. Presenting yourself in a tidy and presentable manner (of dress) clean neat hair, being polite and well spoken in the interview, showing up on time, providing a list of referees and a cover letter presenting why you want to position; these are all important parts of a hiring process.

A smile will present much more impact than your skin. People interviewing you may take into account you have acne, but no much more than they would than mentally noting you have red hair, or were very tall, very short, very fat or very skinny. They are character references to other people and not 'bad' or 'good' in the sense of comparing someone's employability, unless those things directly related to the job at hand. ie. height; being a basketball player, strength; a physically demanding role.

The issue at hand may be more that you don't feel confident in applying and presenting for jobs because of your acne. I think that is totally understandable and i relate. i had a job interview on friday during one of the worst breakouts i've had in years. I did NOT want to go to the interview but i presented the best i could and went along, and by the end of the day i felt much better about myself.

You are worth employing! Good luck.

If you can, use a bit of coverup to make your face more "presentable" on a job interview. Sure, a clear face is never a job requirement but depending on the position you're applying for, overall physical appearance can be a factor. Just look your best and have a matching attitude. Absolutely do not bring a depressed or awkward attitude to the interview as it'll be obvious to the hiring manager.

Plenty of people with acne problems have jobs, so it's just a matter of confidence. My bank teller has pretty bad acne and I can tell that it bugs her by the way she interacts with customers and myself. She is always looking down and not that friendly, very cold and mechanical. I just do my part and smile, be courteous but I know what she must be feeling working under harsh lighting with countless people up close and personal. Anyway, good luck and remember to exude positivity and confidence!

I have acne and have a job and let me tell you, it makes it even worse, getting up in the morning going into work, seeing all these clear skinned people and me sitting there, a few spots short of a mental breakdown, luckily my job doesn't involve me talking to the public, i talk to them on phones, so they don't actually have to see my face. Regarding the interviews, i go with the mentality, im not going to get this job, look at the state of me, but i suppose that is my outlook generally on life, expect the worst in every situation and then when something goes good i see it as a plus, but its not often that things do go good, i've came to terms with the fact that i'm probably going to be alone for the rest of my life, i'm only 19 the now, but if this isn't clear by the time i am 20-21 then i will probably end up in a mental institution for losing my mind.

It's quite laughable for me to talk about this now - given that I got fired from my last job after I did some really stupid things because I couldn't handle being there when I didn't have control of my acne - but I remember that when I had the interview for said job, I was pretty broken out. It didn't come into it. I was down about my skin, sure, but I was also buoyed by the fact that I had the ability to ace the interview and knew for sure that I could get the job. That was all it came down to. By the same token, I've only ever been turned down because I didn't make the grade in the interview. Nothing at all to do with my skin. In an ideal situation, I'm sure we'd all feel better without acne and I'm sure we all feel we might be able to perform better without acne, but it's not like employers actually care. If you can delivery, do the job, do as they ask and become an asset, that's what matters.

I always had jobs. I think they're harder to get when you have acne. But, as with all things in life, there are plenty of people out there (employers too) who will look past your acne.

Put in the effort and you will be able to get a job. It is very possible.

i didnt have trouble getting a job, and i have plenty of scars and pimples. i had a great place where no one even mentioned my skin.eusa_pray.gif

I am going to apply for a job this summer too...

To answer your question, I've seen plenty of young men and women with acne( the severity varies) working in different places. It's pretty much the same thing when pple get self conscious about being too fat or too short or etc. I've seen deaf pple living happy. Having acne shouldn't hold us back from living and fulfilling ourselves.

From my experience, it has definitely got in the way and caused me to be late and even miss a day or two. But fortunately my bosses were understanding and hired me/kept me based on my personality and work ethic. Sure, there may be some who are looking for a pretty face above all else but those people are probably not going to be the best to work for anyway. I have also worked with some others who had it a lot worse than me.