Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dlhm

Narrowing Down Factors

Hi, this is my first post here. However, I've been reading this site for a while now. Anyway, my issue is about figuring out what causes my acne. I am 21 now with i'd say mild acne, occasionally makes its way to moderate but I think thats just my perspective. It was quite severe all of a sudden (literally no acne to severe in a couple of months) when I was about 17, been on medication since. Now that I am in college it's been a goal of mine to get clear skin. It seems though every summer near the end of school (May-ish) to the end of summer (September) my acne completely goes away. Its really bizarre. Then when I think I'm going to have a clear school year it immediately comes back when I go back to school. Mild-Moderate, not horrible. Recently I've attempted to narrow down the different problems that may be contributing from what I do at school to what I am not doing at school. So I've crossed off stress, physical exercise, sleep, almost everything besides food.

However, I don't eat badly while at school, no fries, pizza, coke, pasta, basically anything with processed sugar, dairy, or wheat. However I was eating cooked meat, mainly chicken, soup, fish, anything I thought was "healthy". But still got acne, and couldn't figure out what was the problem. So I have decided to eat as close to my diet while away from college, in terms of preparation and quality. A lot of vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish, turkey. some grains. So far it seems to be helping. I no longer get the large big zits as I used to. Is it possible that this is related or is my conditions related to other factors?

pizza is very very healthy. lycopene plus saturated fat= maximum delivery of carotenoids to bodily tissues.

plus all that potassium and calcium, pizza is a winner everytime all the time forever.

start taking vitamin d. i found out i was vitamin d deficent( most of the population is) and started taking 4000 ius a day and its helping signiffiiganntllyy especially if u say ur acne goes away in the summer just adding this could completely get rid if it.

pizza is very very healthy. lycopene plus saturated fat= maximum delivery of carotenoids to bodily tissues.

plus all that potassium and calcium, pizza is a winner everytime all the time forever.

Wat

Gluten, phytic acid, casein, nitrates and whatnot in pepperoni, and forget acne prone people for a second, but claiming pizza is healthy overall as a food? Nutrional content doesn't mean much if you can't absorb it, especially if it also damages the very mechanism through which nutrients are absorbed, screwing up all kinds of things. I've only gone completely gluten free for months at a time, never was obviously sensitive, but I'm only clear if I avoid grains completely, plus other inflammatory diseases.

I always thought of healthy foods as anything that gives to you more than what it takes away health wise. Pizza seems to be a take away food from all the research and whatnot around here. I think good cheese is less of an issue here and there, but there's issues like if the calcium is even absorbed, igf-1, etc.

Edited by tim12

Wat

Gluten, phytic acid, casein, nitrates and whatnot in pepperoni, and forget acne prone people for a second, but claiming pizza is healthy overall as a food? Nutrional content doesn't mean much if you can't absorb it, especially if it also damages the very mechanism through which nutrients are absorbed, screwing up all kinds of things. I've only gone completely gluten free for months at a time, never was obviously sensitive, but I'm only clear if I avoid grains completely, plus other inflammatory diseases.

I always thought of healthy foods as anything that gives to you more than what it takes away health wise. Pizza seems to be a take away food from all the research and whatnot around here. I think good cheese here and there is less of an issue here and there, but there's issues like if the calcium is even absorbed, igf-1, etc.

I was thinking da same thing, mon.

Take vitamin D-3 oil based because Just about everyone should be taking some anyway. As far as your acne getting better at the end of the summer and coming back, it very well could be because the UV rays kill acne bacteria. I've always had perfect skin in summer and within a month of school my acne would come back. Also consider insulin resistance. General information in my signature

As far as your acne getting better at the end of the summer and coming back, it very well could be because the UV rays kill acne bacteria. I've always had perfect skin in summer and within a month of school my acne would come back.

I seem to remember reading various sources that debunked the idea of UV rays killing acne bacteria. I don't have any links to provide, just pulling something from my foggy memory. Also, I have plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that lots of sunlight on my skin helps, and plenty to suggest that it doesn't.

For a much, much, much more robust theory on why sunlight tends to improve acne, google 'Zincless zinc regimen.' A long-time poster on these boards had a very detailed theory on why sunlight exposure to the eyes reduces or eliminates acne in proper amounts, when combined with proper sleep. Something to do with melatonin, zinc, and the pineal gland. The hard part is getting the 6-8 hours a day of sunlight in your full field of vision.

As far as your acne getting better at the end of the summer and coming back, it very well could be because the UV rays kill acne bacteria. I've always had perfect skin in summer and within a month of school my acne would come back.

I seem to remember reading various sources that debunked the idea of UV rays killing acne bacteria. I don't have any links to provide, just pulling something from my foggy memory. Also, I have plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that lots of sunlight on my skin helps, and plenty to suggest that it doesn't.

For a much, much, much more robust theory on why sunlight tends to improve acne, google 'Zincless zinc regimen.' A long-time poster on these boards had a very detailed theory on why sunlight exposure to the eyes reduces or eliminates acne in proper amounts, when combined with proper sleep. Something to do with melatonin, zinc, and the pineal gland. The hard part is getting the 6-8 hours a day of sunlight in your full field of vision.

I've heard somewhere that zinc isn't maintained well in the body without adequate vitamin D levels, but I don't have the study or anything.

As for the UV rays killing the bacteria, I say from experience. During winter I'd have acne on the face, chest and back. Once track started up, the acne on my face would clear from being outside a couple hours a day, but my body acne wouldn't change whatsoever until it got really hot and I decided to run with my shirt off, at which point it would clear up. Happened every single year, so I connected it to the sun killing the bacteria, or at least direct exposure opening up the pores or something of that matter, since it couldn't have been from vitamin D levels, as it was only the exposed areas that would be cleared. Who knows though honestly.

UV rays do kill bacteria. They make cabinets with UV light to sterilize medical instruments. But bacteria isn't that important a factor in acne. More likely it's a variety of factors including the vitamin D and the seratonin and therefore the melatonin that you make in all that light that helps. Also, I would guess you are more active in the summer.

Edited by alternativista

There probly were other factors that helped as well, but as far as exercise goes, there were only about 2-3 weeks each years that I wasn't running 6-10 miles a day and lifting afterward for cross country and track. Bacteria definitely isn't a factor to worry about when trying to fix acne because just about everyone has bacteria and they are supposedly beneficial when your pores aren't clogged and such. But given that bacteria is a factor, if it's eliminated, then you can't have inflammation. However, my blackheads would go away during the summer as well. I believe I read somewhere that the sun also breaks up the clogged pores as well, but I can't recall where I saw it.

Thanks for the replies. The summers which my skin cleared up I was outside a great deal 10+ hours a day doing a lot of physical activity, I'll do my best to get outside more, since I do a lot of running and physical exercise, however, its all been inside because of the winter. The other puzzling factor is that my skin clears up over winter break, where I spend the majority of my time indoors away from school. So...I am at a bit of a dilemma. I don't know if I should focus on my diet as much as I am.

Take vitamin D-3 oil based--- I have to disagree with this as oil based vitamin d3 caused me breakouts even at 800iu. I have tried the dry form with no problems

Gluten is a thrown around culprit for many peoples acne which then leads a user to starting some diet they probably dont even need to do. I would try other things before moving to the gluten bandwagon. I myself cant fricken stand when everyone suggests "dieting/avoid this or that" . I myself eat what everyone says to avoid for aka lots of gluten foods and NOTHING HAPPENS.

Be more proactive in your search before giving in/giving up. I myself found out i need a couple dietary supplements like zinc and vitamin C with the use of AHA/BHA's to keep comedones from popping up.

If your having inflammatory acne then eat more anti inflammatory foods and take a probiotic at night maybe. I would suggest a topical route before trying some "diet". Not saying they don't work as they do for some but thats just it "for some" .

UV rays do kill bacteria. They make cabinets with UV light to sterilize medical instruments. But bacteria isn't that important a factor in acne. More likely it's a variety of factors including the vitamin D and the seratonin and therefore the melatonin that you make in all that light that helps. Also, I would guess you are more active in the summer.

speaking of that, is there any benefit to these red/blue light treatments? I hear they kill skin bacteria. Just wondering.

Gluten is a thrown around culprit for many peoples acne which then leads a user to starting some diet they probably dont even need to do. I would try other things before moving to the gluten bandwagon. I myself cant fricken stand when everyone suggests "dieting/avoid this or that" . I myself eat what everyone says to avoid for aka lots of gluten foods and NOTHING HAPPENS.

So you have 100% clear skin then?