Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jhw123456

Starting Accutane, Looking For Additional Guidance

Hi all, today I am starting with accutane, 40mg a day, (20mg morning and night). Let me give you a little run-down of the situation though.

I am 29 years old, white male, about 145 pounds or so. I've had acne since I was about 17. It has never really been severe (like those bad pictures you see) but mild to sometimes rather moderate. I have tried just about every possible thing, and before starting this, the last several months I have been using b5 plus l-cysteine, which has actually worked pretty well, better than anything else I have ever really tried. It would not quite get me COMPLETELY clear, but pretty close, so I tried adding some other things one at a time, to try to improve it even furthur.

That turned out to be a mistake. I swapped out cysteine for methionine for about two weeks, and in that time it steadily got worse, and I developed an under the skin nodule type lump that is still there now (and this was back in November!) Shortly after that, I switched back to cysteine, and tried adding in l-carnitine, (I've heard this helps) but it also made things get steadily worse. I would advise anyone wanting to go the b5 route to not try methionine or carnitine under any circumstances. I have never really had an (under the skin) acne lump like this before.... it sucks bad. It does not really look bad, but I can feel it under there. At this point, I can conclude that b5 can be a pretty effective method for acne, but almost everything says that correctly used accutane is simply the best there is.

Anyway, I have done a bit of research on low dose accutane a lot lately (there is a lot about it here on acne.org) and a lot of info makes it look to actually be a pretty safe method. Also, I really have to find something that can get rid of this nodule, and there is nothing stronger than accutane as far as I know...

I will say that after doing a LOT of reading up on accutane and learning a lot about it, I am self medicating starting today. I know a great many would argue against this, but I am going to be very watchful and note any weird symptoms at all. If something strange does begin to happen, I can always go see a doctor, right? But honestly I don't think that will happen. A lot of research says that low dose accutane is actually pretty safe, even if used on a rather long term basis. I am aware of the risks, and will be the best personal doctor I can. I do not intend to go over 40mg a day unless absolutely necessary, I don't think I will need to though, because right now I am mostly clear, I just can't seem to get rid of this nodule...

So now to my main question. Do you think 40mg a day (for a couple of months or so) will be enough to push out the nodule? How much do you think it will take to remove it? Once it is out, I want to go on a more long-term low dose level for maintenance, (like 10mg a day or so) and see how things go from there.

I thought about that, but much of what I've read implies that using accutane is a more effective method for removing them. Also, A lot of sources will tell you that using low dose accutane is actually a safe and effective long term maintenance therapy (probably one of the best there is). Honestly, this is something I should have looked into and tried long ago. Sure accutane is a powerful drug, and it does have side effects, but so do all drugs. If it is used wisely and intelligently, there isn't much that works better when it comes to acne, and many can attest that the side effects are not at all unbearable if used carefully and in moderation.

With that being said, after all I have read on it, I do still wonder one thing. It is always taken in either one or two doses a day. Would it possibly work better to split it into three doses per day, or even four for that matter? Like instead of me taking 20mg 2 times a daym do the same total, but 4 times a day (4 times 10mg). Has anyone else ever tried this, or at least thought about it?

That also is how I understand it to work, I was thinking that perhaps taking it in more spread out doses would get more bang for the buck out of each dose, and perhaps give faster results with the same amount taken.

So there really isn't much of a difference between taking all of the dose at one time, or at two seperate times? Seeing how it is fat soluable, I think I can understand why that may be.

I don't understand why people don't take regular vit A rather than synthetic Accutane? Either way take vitamin E but Accutane has damaged my system giving me problems that are the problems of old men, not 23 year olds and I was on 40 mgs. I'd try anything and everything before Accutane if I were you.

Well, I have now been taking 40mg of accutane for 4 days now (today is day 5). I started with 40, because that seems to be the most common starting dose used. I am starting to get a little dry, lips are a little dry, and have a couple of areas that are getting slighty swollen. Is this normal? Maybe I should go with 20 a day for a bit and go from there?

I will just ask it like this. Anyone who has been through a course (or two) of accutane, what do you think is the best regimen to go through with? I weigh about 140, and have moderateish acne. I would like to hear from someone who has some experience with it.

Even though I have really read a lot about it, and feel like I have a pretty good understanding of it, it would make me fwwl better to get some good pointers from one who has been through it before so I can get the most out of it.

I am doing a follow up after one week of using 40mg a day. Hopefully this info will also be of help to anyone else who may be wanting more insight into something like this. Well, after a week a have been peeling a little bit, have chapped lips, and feeling a little bit "sunburned". But, so far at least, I am not having much of an initial breakout. A little bit of the lightly swollen areas, but they seem to be going away pretty fast for the most part.

I had similar results to this after using b5 for a week or so, although it seems to be a little more pronounced with accutane. I also figured I would start to see some effects after about a week, which is about how long b5 takes to show a difference for me. Does anyone think that, with what I've seen so far, that this is a good dose to stick with, or am I maybe using a litlte too much? Other than these side effects I feel fine, but am curious to hear from others who have used accutane before.