Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brizzle82

Beginning The Regimen...have Some ?'s - Redness, Shaving.

hello everyone,

I've been using dan's BP and for a few years just as a spot treatment, (which worked up until now) but recently feel the need to step up and go full regimen, mostly due to not having completely clear skin any longer. so, i have some questions/concerns:

My skin seems to be somewhat sensitive so i've started using only a small amount of BP at first, just at night. I already have redness, but its localized to the corners of my mouth. it itches and makes me look weird haha. i'm just wondering if i should continue to apply it over the red areas or decrease BP/start over with even less for the first few weeks as i ramp up the dosage. fyi - i have also been using dan's moisturizer with a few drops of jojoba oil after the BP has absorbed.

My second concern is with shaving. i'd like to continue to use a shaving cream like aveeno's therapeutic shaving cream, but i'm just wondering if i should use the cleanser again after i get done shaving, (as opposed to just rinsing with water) before applying BP.

thanks for your help.

Well i can tell you about my journey on DKR. When i first started i used very little bp and work my self up. even tho i used very little, my face was still red. But i still continued to ramp up my dp dosage and soon the redness faded and now on 7.5 weeks, im on the full dosage. and i can apply as much as i want and my face wont turn red. But still flakiness. so just make sure you moisturise lots. and remember, when yuo moisturrise you're also moving the bp around so try to avoid area around the eyes as it is the thinnest part of skin on ur face. Just be patient. Dont ramp the bp too quickly as it will cause irritation and a bit of itchiness.

as for shaving, I would cleanse and shave all in one step. So cleanse ur face then start shaving and i try to do this quickly as i dont want to keep the cleanser on my face too long. Only cleanse 2 a day, no more than that, as it will dry your face.

Edited by AcneeHater

cool, thanks for the insight. i'm going to continue to use the moisturizer with a few drops of jojoba oil added to it in order to combat the redness and flakiness. i used a tiny bit of eucerin original moisturizing cream by the corners of my mouth where its noticably red, and that seemed to help, especially overnight. (it also works great to moisturize my hands...although it's really thick)

for shaving, i do like the smoothness that the shaving cream provides. it just feels like less tug and pull on my facial hair. i'll see with time if i can continue to use a cream, or else i'll have to switch back to the cleanser. i'm also trying to shave every day/every other day instead of once every 4 to 5 days. i've heard this helps with irritation.

edited - i also see you repeat the moisturizer. do you find that helps better moisturize your skin? right now im using 2 pumps with about 6 drops oil, all at once.

Edited by ibkushman320

hello everyone,

I've been using dan's BP and for a few years just as a spot treatment, (which worked up until now) but recently feel the need to step up and go full regimen, mostly due to not having completely clear skin any longer. so, i have some questions/concerns:

My skin seems to be somewhat sensitive so i've started using only a small amount of BP at first, just at night. I already have redness, but its localized to the corners of my mouth. it itches and makes me look weird haha. i'm just wondering if i should continue to apply it over the red areas or decrease BP/start over with even less for the first few weeks as i ramp up the dosage. fyi - i have also been using dan's moisturizer with a few drops of jojoba oil after the BP has absorbed.

My second concern is with shaving. i'd like to continue to use a shaving cream like aveeno's therapeutic shaving cream, but i'm just wondering if i should use the cleanser again after i get done shaving, (as opposed to just rinsing with water) before applying BP.

thanks for your help.

I would continue to use aveeno therapeutic shave cream. That is what I use because it is non comedogenic and moisturizing, and it's awesome while on the regimen. I shave everyday or every other day using this, and I cleanse after shaving. Shaving using the cleanser is very unnecessary in my opinion as long as you are using a good shaving cream like aveeno, and yes, using the cleanser to shave with will make more tug and pull on your hair. I hated that when I tried it and found it more irritating. Stick with the aveeno, I do and it works great. Cleanse after shaving.

Also, if you apply moisturizer one pump at a time with about 5 minutes in between, it really helps with flakiness. I would give this a shot if you have the time to do it. That's the downside, it makes the regimen take even longer. As if it wasn't a long enough process already...

Edited by Swj48

hello everyone,

thanks for your help.

I would continue to use aveeno therapeutic shave cream. That is what I use because it is non comedogenic and moisturizing, and it's awesome while on the regimen. I shave everyday or every other day using this, and I cleanse after shaving. Shaving using the cleanser is very unnecessary in my opinion as long as you are using a good shaving cream like aveeno, and yes, using the cleanser to shave with will make more tug and pull on your hair. I hated that when I tried it and found it more irritating. Stick with the aveeno, I do and it works great. Cleanse after shaving.

Also, if you apply moisturizer one pump at a time with about 5 minutes in between, it really helps with flakiness. I would give this a shot if you have the time to do it. That's the downside, it makes the regimen take even longer. As if it wasn't a long enough process already...

awesome, then i'll keep doing it that way.

i've noticed when i moisturize, my skin becomes shiny. maybe this is from the jojoba oil or something. do any of you notice this? any way to deal with it or is it something that just is what it is?

hello everyone,

thanks for your help.

i've noticed when i moisturize, my skin becomes shiny. maybe this is from the jojoba oil or something. do any of you notice this? any way to deal with it or is it something that just is what it is?

Mine too. Just gotta live with it unfortunately. People have different skin and for some they don't get shiny and oily looking, some it doesn't even moisturize them at all, and some are like us. But I'll take looking shiny over having acne!

hello everyone,

thanks for your help.

Mine too. Just gotta live with it unfortunately. People have different skin and for some they don't get shiny and oily looking, some it doesn't even moisturize them at all, and some are like us. But I'll take looking shiny over having acne!

ok cool. and yes, i'll definitely take a little bit of shine over acne any day. thanks again!

ya i think its important to moisturise as it does make my face feel awesome and hydrated. when i first started the regimen with jojoba oil, my first thought was OMFG! im so shinny, cant leave my house looking like this but then eventually my face started to absorb everything much better and my faces doesnt seem to be shinny as the first time.