Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hutchdan

Diet And Acne, What Did You Find?

hey! Let me being by saying I've been on various diets and treatments for my acne like everyone else and like everyone else nothing has worked substantially. For all of the following diets I've cut out sugar almost completely (fruits were allowed):

low carb high fat diet 2 weeks (on it now)

gluten and dairy free diet 3 months

Are you ready?

NOTHING WORKED!

O O (They're balloons)

/ /

However, despite this massive failure, i did learn that sugar does cause acne.

Im calling out to you, anyone who is POSITIVE that they have found a correlation between certain foods and acne, please leave a message.

but most of all....

what worked for you?

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could send me their email so we can start a chain mail if i have questions. THANK YOU

☆┌─┐ ─┐☆

│▒│ /▒/

│▒│/▒/

│▒ /▒/─┬─┐

│▒│▒|▒│▒│

┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘ ♥♥PeAcE♥♥

│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│♫ ♫

└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘

└┐▒▒▒▒┌┘

for me, sugar is definitely a culprit. as is fried foods and greasy foods. i haven't eaten sugar in probably 4 years. same with fried food. and i always try to avoid greasy food, sometimes it's a little inevitable but if i get a pizza and it's too greasy i will blot it with a coffee filter. (this works better than paper towels and leaves no paper residue on the food) i also cut out milk over a year ago, not exactly sure if it helped because i was doing a lot of different things at the same time, but i'm sure it was a factor. i limit myself to one cup of coffee a day as caffeine is another culprit. aside from keeping a healthy diet, a good regimen in addition is what works best. eat vegetables and fruits and take a multivitamin. and most importantly, drink lots of water.

My triggers are caffeine, gluten, citrus and apples. All of which give me horrendous breakouts (in the case of citrus and caffeine) or just increase the severity/frequency of my breakouts (gluten, damn you!)

Since eliminating or reducing my intake of the above, my skin has calmed down a lot. I'm not breakout free because I know that diet is not the sole source of my acne (it isn't for most people and would just be a contributory factor) but it has definitely improved my skin. Its hard to deal with not eating "normal" foods or being able to drink my beloved caffeinated sodas but once you get used to it, its not a problem. I would rather have less acne than eat a slice of bread!

I also try to eat low-sodium as well as the iodine in salt is known to flare up acne.

I'm currently experimenting with eliminating tomatoes from my diet (which is hard work for me because I eat them a LOT)

You have to be on it longer than 2 weeks. I did it for two months last year. End result: didnt work. I dont diet now (but eat more greens/fruits as well as exercise) and im more clear than the last year.

Diet wise- the only thing that worked for me was eating only raw fruits and veggies. It totally cleared me BUT (and this is a big but) it caused other health problems..my bones weakened from lack of vitamin d & c, i was nutritionally deficient because of the strict diet, and my nails thinned out (I had thick long nails my whole life until I started eating this way.) So just because a diet clears your skin DOES NOT by any means mean that it is healthy. Just like a diet that makes you lose weight is not neccessarily healthy because people can lose weight by eating ice cream everyday.

Now, I learned to eat a wide variety of food. I eat eggs, bread, cheese, sandwhiches...the only thing I avoid is sugar and junk food and fast food and very processed food (like Gold Fish or Pop tarts). I eat wholesome food from the produce department and make sure to eat a wide variety of food and not be strict. I learned the hard way and it took me forever to realize I need to eat a wide variety of food to get the nutrients I need. I also started to eat only when I am hungry and stop eating once I'm full but not stuffed..and I think this contributes to health as well.

I decided to clear my skin through a topical appraoach and so far it is working for me. My back has cleared up with topicals but my face still hasn't responded but, I'm hopefull I will find a product that works for my face.

Curing acne through food will only cause depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and fear every time it is lunch time. I know it all too well, it's not a fun life to live at all. I still eat healthy but, not as strict as I once was.

hey! Let me being by saying I've been on various diets and treatments for my acne like everyone else and like everyone else nothing has worked substantially. For all of the following diets I've cut out sugar almost completely (fruits were allowed):

low carb high fat diet 2 weeks (on it now)

gluten and dairy free diet 3 months

Are you ready?

NOTHING WORKED!

O O (They're balloons)

/ /

However, despite this massive failure, i did learn that sugar does cause acne.

Im calling out to you, anyone who is POSITIVE that they have found a correlation between certain foods and acne, please leave a message.

but most of all....

what worked for you?

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could send me their email so we can start a chain mail if i have questions. THANK YOU

☆┌─┐ ─┐☆

│▒│ /▒/

│▒│/▒/

│▒ /▒/─┬─┐

│▒│▒|▒│▒│

┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘ ♥♥PeAcE♥♥

│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│♫ ♫

└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘

└┐▒▒▒▒┌┘

You have a couple of major food allergens you could try to avoid, Soybean or Egg. Good luck trying to avoid Soybean (Caveman Diet). This is why Food IgG testing is sooooo much easier. 2 weeks and you know for sure.