Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

these days my skin has gotten worse and so has my social anxiety and confidence

whenever I hang out with my girlfriend or go out to eat with her I always feel so uncomfortable and anxious and always have to get drunk to feel good and confident

this has been happening too often and in the past month 2 times I drank way too much and ended up vomiting all night and passing out and even went to the hospital

I really don't want to drink but when I'm sober I always feel so terrible and anxious and grumpy

when I drink I feel good, I feel free and sociable and talkative and confident, something I'm never when I'm sober

but I get pretty bad hangovers after and I get dizzy and headaches and I hate it

I think I'm addicted now.. how do I stop relying on booze

Alcoholism only brings more misery and more pain, not only to yourself but to others as well. Think of your family, career, friends and girlfriend before you allow yourself to be consumed by alcohol. I've been around alcoholics all my life and I can tell you its not a happy ending.

I suggest finding a hobby, getting in better shape, picking up a book and learning something, or doing something productive for society and for yourself. Maybe try volunteer work?

Just whatever you do, please don't resort to alcohol to mask your problems man...

Try clearing up your skin so you can find the confidence to approach people. Being confident in yourself is the only way to be social. Shyness is stemmed from insecurities.

Alcoholism only brings more misery and more pain, not only to yourself but to others as well. Think of your family, career, friends and girlfriend before you allow yourself to be consumed by alcohol. I've been around alcoholics all my life and I can tell you its not a happy ending.

I suggest finding a hobby, getting in better shape, picking up a book and learning something, or doing something productive for society and for yourself. Maybe try volunteer work?

Just whatever you do, please don't resort to alcohol to mask your problems man...

How about the HEALTH issues associated with alcoholism?

I also don't think he should be running away from his problems by finding another hobby, he sounds like he has serious social issues that need to be dealt with. I have a ceratain type of social anxiety, and if it is pushed off, it is not good at all. Social anxiety can ruin your whole life. You need friends and good relationships to be happy in life and being by yourself everyday is the last thing someone with social anxiety should do.

I would suggest the OP to work on his social skills and try to not be afraid to talk to people and say what's on your mind so that you won't have to depend on alcohol to be able to be confident/talkative.

If you've consumed alcohol regularly for a longer period of time, odds are you've developed tolerance and physiological dependence. If your addiction is recent, it's likely to be solely psychological (which, when compared, is a lot easier to treat).

Untreated withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal; GABA receptors (after extended periods of drinking) are desensitized, which, if the patient goes "cold turkey," can result in seizures, hallucinations, delirium, and heart failure. As such, alcohol "detox" usually involves use of benzodiazepines or barbiturates (to depress the nervous system).

Again, it's worth noting you'll only go through withdrawal if you're a consistently heavy drinker (at which point, you'll need the support of a doctor). If the habit is relatively new in origin (as your post alludes), your problem is probably psychological. A licensed therapist or psychiatrist will be able to help. As others have stated, hobbies can often help to occupy your attention, keeping you from obsessing about the lack of alcohol.

Good luck.

Try clearing up your skin so you can find the confidence to approach people. Being confident in yourself is the only way to be social. Shyness is stemmed from insecurities.

How about the HEALTH issues associated with alcoholism?

I also don't think he should be running away from his problems by finding another hobby, he sounds like he has serious social issues that need to be dealt with. I have a ceratain type of social anxiety, and if it is pushed off, it is not good at all. Social anxiety can ruin your whole life. You need friends and good relationships to be happy in life and being by yourself everyday is the last thing someone with social anxiety should do.

I would suggest the OP to work on his social skills and try to not be afraid to talk to people and say what's on your mind so that you won't have to depend on alcohol to be able to be confident/talkative.

That's solid advice. And yes, the health hazards of alcohol are also very important and shouldn't be overlooked.

I definitely did not mean he should run away from his problems, though. Channelling his passion into something that would benefit not only himself but others around him couldn't be that bad of a thing - I would think. It's comparable to what my psychiatrist had me doing when I went through anger management; basically to harness the anger I had buried and put it to work. It actually worked out very well for me and has changed the way I look at life, for the better.

Edited by severity

these days my skin has gotten worse and so has my social anxiety and confidence

whenever I hang out with my girlfriend or go out to eat with her I always feel so uncomfortable and anxious and always have to get drunk to feel good and confident

this has been happening too often and in the past month 2 times I drank way too much and ended up vomiting all night and passing out and even went to the hospital

I really don't want to drink but when I'm sober I always feel so terrible and anxious and grumpy

when I drink I feel good, I feel free and sociable and talkative and confident, something I'm never when I'm sober

but I get pretty bad hangovers after and I get dizzy and headaches and I hate it

I think I'm addicted now.. how do I stop relying on booze

The benefits of Alcohol and other drugs are short lived. Take it from an ex-party animal. Drugs and Alcohol will eventually ruin your life. But many times these are events you must experience for yourself before change can take place. I suggest reading "Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat-Zinn P.Hd. "Mindfulness Meditiation" has been clinically proven to relieve symptoms of anxiety. By no means is Mindfulness and easy quick fix, but with constant, steady training, you will see real-permanent results that alcohol can't give.