Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rfc100

Any Recent Smoothbeam Laser Experiences?

I've read several posts on this site, and I haven't seen any recent ones. I'm wondering if anyone has used this within the past 2 years, and at what settings? The setting options are joules and DCD cooling spray. Results? Side effects? Cost? Number of treaments?

I'm going for a consult and possible treatment tomorrow. I have hormonal acne on my chin.

to get laser treatment for acne is the dumbest thing u can do, not to mention expensive. U should only consider laser if u have acne scarring, my opinion. I had 4 smoothbeams for the craters on my temples, didnt see any improvement on scarring, acne or oil, so i stopped going. And non ablative lasers dont do anything for scarring btw.

but yea, expect to pay $200 for each session, i paid $60 cause i knew the customer care managers daughter.

I would consider antibiotics or something topical to keep acne under control. But if ur rich and can afford to get a laser treatment everytime u break out, go for it

Edited by Nelo18

Do you know what settings were used? Smoothbeam targets sebaceous glands. It supposedly shrinks the glands, which should stop or reduce acne.

Edited by rfc100

to get laser treatment for acne is the dumbest thing u can do, not to mention expensive. U should only consider laser if u have acne scarring, my opinion. I had 4 smoothbeams for the craters on my temples, didnt see any improvement on scarring, acne or oil, so i stopped going. And non ablative lasers dont do anything for scarring btw.

but yea, expect to pay $200 for each session, i paid $60 cause i knew the customer care managers daughter.

I would consider antibiotics or something topical to keep acne under control. But if ur rich and can afford to get a laser treatment everytime u break out, go for it

^^This.

im not sure of the settings, sorry. And be careful, alot of derms and laser places just want money and will tell u whatever u want to hear

I totally agree. I did the research on my own. The reason I'm considering Smoothbeam is strictly for long-term benefit. Four initial treatments spaced 3-4 weeks apart then 1-2 a year. If it works like it should, then it should reduce sebum output by 75-80+%. From what I can tell, 'operator error' is a big problem. It looks like the settings make a huge difference, and there isn't a large margin for error either. Also, in the early release of the laser, many of the machines were faulty, so I'm sure it got a bad wrap early on. I changed my appt to tomorrow evening so I could collect research and hopefully convince her to use the settings I want. The ones she plans on using for me are too low. All it will do is aggravate my chin and I'll get a huge cystic outbreak. If you are so inclined, please find out the settings used on you. I'm a skin type Fitzpatrick III, close to a II, and they should do a test patch starting at 13 joules and 35 DCD, using the 6mm attachment.