Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icefairy88

Going On A Class Trip...i'm Terrified. Any Support Or Advice Would Be Great.

So i'm going to disney world this weekend, with the music department at my school. Should be fun, right? No. I'm terrified. First off, we're taking a bus 22 hours to Florida. No stops..that's going to be a nightmare for my skin. We get to bring stuff to "freshen up with", but other than that, right when we get there, we're gonna be doing stuff all day. I honestly don't know how i'm gonna be able to do this..I can barely go a half a day without my skin feeling disgusting. sad.png Secondly, we have roommates. I'm also scared of taking off my makeup at night...all of my acne is going to be showing, red and irritated, and i don't want them to judge me. It's for about 5 days, so 4 nights of torture as i'm stuck in a room with people who have clear, beautiful skin. What am i gonna do?! sad.png PLEASE give me any support, or advice you may have. Everything will be greatly appreciated.

I can't do too much for you emotionally, but I'll try my best to give some tips and tricks that might help during your trip.

For the bus ride make sure you take a loose fit shirt. You want to look and feel relaxed for the ride, but make sure it's nice enough for when you get off. I know you're not going to like this next one, but tie your hair up in a pony/messy bun. This is going to keep the hair off of your face and help with oil on the face and keep you from growing new acne on the ride. Take some oil blotting paper with you. Try to blot every quarter of the trip, but don't blot too much. Next you want to drink a TON OF WATER. This will keep your skin hydrated during the trip. Drink more than you normally would. Try to take a nap, when in rest your body will naturally heal and make you feel better. Try to wear very little makeup on the ride, you don't want it to clog the pores. Also, wear some SPF and if you are next tot he window, pull the blind down. (guessing it a charter bus).

Once you get out, try your best to find a bathroom, I bet that everyone will be going at this point. Do a simple cleanse and moisturize. If you don't feel up for that then just do a quick touch up of some clear powder to help get rid of oil on the face. Once you finally get settled into your rooms, wash up. Try to schedule it so that it is right before 'lights out' hits. For the most part you are there to have FUN. So don't let other people or your acne get in front of that. Like I said before, nothing I can do about your emotions, but I do wish that you will have fun!

Good Luck!

Yes definitely drink a lot of water and wear your hair up! I have been in very similar situations and I completely understand your anxiety. I remember having to share a room with someone on trips like this and I had two roommates, one with perfect skin, and one with problem skin like mine. The difference between me and the other girl with problem skin is that she was not shy or ashamed and she had an incredibly positive attitude about everything, and everyone was quite fond of her as a result. It's not easy but try to remember that other people are not going to judge you on your skin, and even if they do, they aren't judging your character. If you maintain a positive attitude, are friendly, have fun, laugh, get involved, no one will even care! If you are worried about your roommate, know that it's ok to talk about it. They probably have things they are equally as insecure about. Everyone does really. In college my roommate first year had great skin, but she never cared that mine wasn't perfect and she didn't judge me for it. As significant as it seems to us, it's not really important to others, and being honest about your feelings really makes a world of difference. When sharing such close quarters people have to let their guard down and usually this relieves a lot of anxiety.

As far as for your skin, I think chococrit gave you some really great advice. Oil blotting sheets will help you greatly and make you feel better. I know that feeling of out of control oil in the middle of the day too. Try not to think about it too much, just think well there's not much i can do while on this bus, so I might as well forget about it and have a good time. If doing your nightly routine with other people around causes some anxiety, just wait until they are done with the bathroom and use it last. Even though it's a waste of water which is a no no, but pretend to take a shower and do everything while the water is running and no one will bother you, or let the water run after a shower to do what you need to do. Most importantly just relax, be open about yourself, and focus your mind on other things. I really hope you have a great time and I'm sure you will look back on the trip fondly. Best of luck.

Hey girl!

I was just in a situation like this! My sophomore class took a trip from Michigan to D.C. on a charter bus. I have moderate acne and it seems like everyone in my class of 20 people has perfect skin except me. I used the bathroom on the charter bus at 2 in the morning and did my routine while everyone was sleeping, and then got up at 6 and put makeup on! It worked perfectly. Sleeping definitely helps too(: YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL, DONT EVER FORGET THAT! Best of luck, and have a WONDERFUL time!!!

~ Maeve ~

Something like this happened to me a while ago. Me and some friends went to Toronto for about a week. It was school related so we everyday was busy. We also had to stay with roomates which I didn't really mind I guess since that made the trip more fun.

I'm a guy so the whole make up thing wasn't a probem. There not much I can say but just try to have fun and try to fit in whatever you can do for your skin like cleansing and moisturizing. Of course drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. Try not to worry too much about your skin during the trip. Hope you have a fun time in disneyworld!

Bring some shades and possibly a hat, if you can wear one without irritating your acne. It will definitely help you feel more comfortable out in the open sun without exposing your entire face.

Thank you all so much! it's definitely nice to hear that alot of you have been in the same situation. You all had great suggestions, and i'll be sure to keep them in mind this weekend. :)

Oh girl, I so feel for you! Two years ago I took a trip to Washington D.C. from California with my class and after that super long flight we had to just get off and start the day! My skin was a nightmare, and to add to that I got sick, so my skin was even worse! I was so embarrassed to be seen. Anyways, I agree with what other people said, including bringing blotting sheets. I'm assuming there will be a bathroom on the bus, so bring some of those gentle makeup removing wipes with you and take off your makeup and reapply it before you get off the bus. You could also lightly apply some pressed or loose powder when you feel like a lot of your makeup is starting to slip, but don't do that too often because your face will get cakey. At night, you could wait until your roomates are asleep or have turned off the lights and then do your routine or at least wait until they've used the bathroom so you can have it to yourself so you don't feel self conscious. You could also get up a bit earlier than the others so you can do your routine and apply makeup before they will see you. This way they might never see you without makeup!

Most of all, just try to enjoy yourself and remember that you are beautiful and your acne doesn't define you. Best of luck to you! *hugs*

Thank you for the advice :D i'm gonna try waiting until my roommates are done, or wait til the lights are off, like you and others have suggested. I also got new foundation, the neutrogena kind, so hopefully it'll help with not clogging my pores.

If you can't bring anything for your skin, just wash your face twice a day and take a shower once a day. More importantly, just forget about your acne for the time you're there and have fun! Don't let your acne get in the way of having a good time.

5 days is a pretty long time for a class trip! Good luck :)

I second the thing about wearing a hat, especially because acne can look worse and more inflamed in sunlight, and the hat visor will shade your face. Again though, try to have fun anyway! Just try your best to forget about your skin :)

So i'm going to disney world this weekend, with the music department at my school. Should be fun, right? No. I'm terrified. First off, we're taking a bus 22 hours to Florida. No stops..that's going to be a nightmare for my skin. We get to bring stuff to "freshen up with", but other than that, right when we get there, we're gonna be doing stuff all day. I honestly don't know how i'm gonna be able to do this..I can barely go a half a day without my skin feeling disgusting. sad.png Secondly, we have roommates. I'm also scared of taking off my makeup at night...all of my acne is going to be showing, red and irritated, and i don't want them to judge me. It's for about 5 days, so 4 nights of torture as i'm stuck in a room with people who have clear, beautiful skin. What am i gonna do?! sad.png PLEASE give me any support, or advice you may have. Everything will be greatly appreciated.

I am sure you will do just fine. First of all,Going through experiences like that can only build character. Whatever doesn't kill you can only make you stronger! Second of all, reality check! Teenagers are going to judge you know matter what. It is the nature of teenagers. Hell, it is the nature of people. Who cares what they think right? I mean, if they dislike you because you have acne, then they have bigger issues then you. Acne goes away in time, personality flaws tend to last a life time. Besides, you appear to me from your photos to be a young, beautiful woman. Have fun in Disney World! I am jealous.

Hang in there I know how you feel. Im currently deployed over seas and breaking out really bad. I feel like im the only one over here in this situation. Anyway Im sure your just being to hard on yourself hope you made it threw ok::)

Thanks everyone :) During the trip, i thought about everything you all had said, and it really did help. The ride there was okay, i had a really bad zit form above my lip, but other than that my skin wasn't that bad during the trip! Once i was there i kind of forgot about being nervous around my roommates and just did what i knew i needed to do, like wash my face etc. I probably would have been more self conscious had i not received all of your advice :)

22 hours no stops? Kidding!?!?! Sitting down for 22 hours? That's crazy. Need to get up and stretch, etc once in a while. smile.png Also, don't stress 'cause then you might get new zits. It happens to me. When I am worried about something , I do break out.. weird. Edited by EddieE