Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ickle*pickle2603

Maybe Helpful Information!

Hiya

I'm a 33 year old woman, who has suffered since my teens with my skin, it used to be really bad as a teen, but has improved, significantly over the years, although I do get break outs before my cycle!

My confidence was minimal, I still have days where I hide in doors, rather than face the world but its more psychoclogical then physical with me, anyway, last year I moved to the coast, the water must be quite hard where I am because I started to have an itchy, blotchy rash, whilst bathing, it wasn't due to the water being to hot it was an actual hard water alergy, so after about 6 months of dreading a bath I started to take anti histamines in the morning before bathing, the symptoms disapeared and I also began to notice that my skin improved dramatically as well, so I spoke to my doctor, he said that although he could not be quoted, my skin was very sensative to water, yes water, and that the irritation could cause my acne, I take an anti histamine every day, my skin does not itch and I would say I am 98% clear of acne, I have some scaring and the occasional breakout but its minimal and my gp has said I can take anti histamines long term for my hard water alergy.

I only wish I knew this years ago and I am not saying it would work for everyone but it worked for me and that must be worth sharing!

I don't know medically if you can take them whilst on other acne medication you would have to check that with a doctor, and it may not work for everyone, but I buy a 99p pack of anti alergy tablets from boots for a weeks supply, and it's worked for me!

Also whilst I am at it, Vichy Dermablend foundation has changed my life, my skin looks so smooth even though I have enlarged pores and scarring, its worth the £15.50 so check it out, I also purchase this from boots, it's not cakey a small amount goes a long way, it feels great on and does not irritate, so give it a try!

Thx peeps. let me know how u get on, or if u have any questions.

Jai x

Welcome aboard, Jai. smile.png

That's a coincidence, I've been thinking about taking anti-histamines. Well, there have been a few topics around the boards lately about histamines in food and a connection to acne. Plus, I know of a number of foods I'm intolerant of and my skin soon reacts to them, so I was kind of curious to see if I could do anything to minimise that and I thought of taking anti-allergy pills. Although I've got a handle on most of it and generally cleared my acne, I still get the odd reaction and also the odd bout of eczema, so perhaps this could be the missing piece to the puzzle. You might be onto something and I'm glad it's worked for you. Thank you for sharing! smile.png

This is actually doesnt surprise me! I live in a soft water area (oh sooo soft, my hair loves it) but I come from a really hard water area, and every time I go home I break out more. I've been convinced it's the water for ages!

Yeah, Plain old water! I would imagine I have had a reaction to the chemicals all my life, but moving to sunny old Folkestone, where the water is hard as nails, brought out the worst in my skin, I guess in a way I am thankful that I have such an extreme reaction to the water here, otherwise I might have never made the connection, I know what u mean snap, any spicey foods and fizzy drinks my skin pays the price, luckily the only water I drink is bottled and it is a must because I end up dry, flakey etc, so a good diet is essential, although I rarely eat my 5 a day!

So I hope my post encourages people to try, the difference is amazing, I am more confident and don't mind the horrible supermarket lighting, quite so much now!

Jai x

Yeah, Plain old water! I would imagine I have had a reaction to the chemicals all my life, but moving to sunny old Folkestone, where the water is hard as nails, brought out the worst in my skin, I guess in a way I am thankful that I have such an extreme reaction to the water here, otherwise I might have never made the connection, I know what u mean snap, any spicey foods and fizzy drinks my skin pays the price, luckily the only water I drink is bottled and it is a must because I end up dry, flakey etc, so a good diet is essential, although I rarely eat my 5 a day!

So I hope my post encourages people to try, the difference is amazing, I am more confident and don't mind the horrible supermarket lighting, quite so much now!

Jai x

Folkestone eh? That's near(ish) to my corner of the world!

I have been thinking about taking anti-histamines but not for my acne...I get quite a lot of phlegm in my throat and it could be due to an allergy (to what, I have absolutely no idea!) but it would be interesting to see if it would help my acne as well.

Supermarket lighting is almost as bad as the lighting in my office - not flattering at all!

Glad its working for you :)

Hi guys :)

So I'm pretty clueless about this and would love it if someone could explain to me the difference between hard and soft water and how I can tell if my water in my area is "hard" or "soft". Thanks :)

Hi guys smile.png

So I'm pretty clueless about this and would love it if someone could explain to me the difference between hard and soft water and how I can tell if my water in my area is "hard" or "soft". Thanks smile.png

Hard water and softwater relates to the amount of limestone in the water in your area. If you look up your water board/supplier it should say on their website, or a quick google search for terms like 'water in areaname' should yield results.