Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone, hope you're all ok. In a few months I will be starting accutane. I've tried all the other anti-biotics up to Minocin, and the doctor agress that it is right to go on Accutane. Anyway, I'm not quite sure what's going to happen, seeing as I don't havy oily skin in the slightest. All day without washing, no build up of oil on my face..It's weird. I still get annoying acne, bad enough to be put on Tane, yet there is no oil for the drug to get rid of...I guess it will still work on curing my acne (moderate and persistant)..

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

X

Hi,

I just started accutane last week, and I was wondering the same thing. I also don't have oily skin even though I get pretty bad acne. I'm especially worried about the dryness (hasn't happened yet) since I already have normal to dry skin. But I think the Accutane also helps with speeding up your skin's turnover rate and unplugging pores. Also, it may be possible that even though your skin isn't looking oily its still producing too much sebum?? I'm not sure... ~Gypsy

Just because your skin does not look like it is producing a lot of oil, the hair follicles can still become plugged with sebum, dead skin cells, and the bacteria that feed of these substances which in turn causes the acne that you see. The Accutane will work by decreasing the oil that is produced, and increasing the rate at which the dead skin cells shed. Accutane also makes the cells that are sloughed off into the sebaceous glands less sticky, and therefore less able to form blackheads and whiteheads (comedones). Accutane is not an antibiotic but its effects combined create an environment on the skin that will decrease the amount of acne bacteria, and that is why it is sometimes stated that Accutane has antibiotic properties.