Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Calavera

why is my cleanser soo drying

ive tried afew cleansers and they all seem to dry my skin out really bad.. i tried just water and that was ever worse. whats going on?

+ the cleanser i use doesnt remoove any of the flaky skin so when i moisturise the flaky skin stays on my face so when i smile or open my mouth wide all the flakes come out

It sounds to me you have dry skin. You might want to try a moisturizing cream cleaser. And exfoliate your skin once or twice a week with St.Ives Srub (or what ever you want). If you are using excessive amount or BP and SA that could be causing the flakeiness to so cut down.

Firstly, what cleanser are you currently using and how are you using it?

I suggest

* wash your face for no more than 10 seconds twice a day

* avoid contact with water at other times.

You need a cleanser with an acid ph around 5-6. Do not use soap. In fact I suggest you avoid bar products. Consider a, preferably unscented, liquid cleanser. Suggestions - cetaphil, aquanil, basis comfortably clean cleanser, jasons super c cleanser (no SLS), oil of Olay foaming cleanser for SENSITIVE skin. I use Neutrogena extra gentle skin cleanser...(I have dry skin and it works great for me - BUT people who are prone to reactive cosmetic breakouts don't like this product)

an aha moisturisier like eucerin renewal can be a good way to insert some exfoliation into your routine without adding an additional step. You could consider using diluted apple cider vinegar as a cheap as chips aha alternative. Some people use a tape method for lifting off flakey skin.

The "Eucerin Renewal" that people are suggesting is badged "Eucerin Face Renewal Alpha Hydroxy Lotion w/ Spf 15," *NOT* the one that says "Day Lotion." Also for an extremely gentle cleanser try "Aveeno's Skin Replenishing Cleansing Lotion with Soy Extract, Fragrance Free." I've washed with this 4x a day once and didn't even dry out. However the oil of olay for sensitive skin broke me out after a few days of use.