Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, I've been meaning to go back to this site and update about my second course of Accutane, cause I know when I first started round two, I looked high and low on the Internet for other people who also did round two, and could not find anyone who had shared. So if this is helpful for others, I'm glad to come forward.

Brief history: did my first round in May of 2010. Has no serious complications other than the dry lips. Skin cleared up almost instantly and I was so happy. Once I came off that october, th acne came back within a week, but very very tiny. My doctor said my skin was just adjusting and it was not a big deal. But then it started popping back up on my chin. Doctor gave me a topical, and all was well until February of 2011, when it was popping up all around my mouth (and of COURSE I had a super hot fling at that time and he had to see it.) I ws putting aspirin on the breakouts every night and then I flipped out and went back to the doctor, and she put me on round two.

On round two, the side effects were a bit worse, not gonna lie: all my eyelashes startd falling out, which freaked th shit out of me, but luckily it stopped after a week and they grew back. My lips also were even drier than before and the corners would crack like the joker. I also gained some weight, which really really sucked.....but oh we'll. The hot guy had duped me anyway by this point so I had no reason to be vain :)

I've been off Accutane now since October of 2011, and while I was scared it would come back, as a few little teeny dots popped up here and there, I'm happy to say that I am acne free, and I found out that if I cut bread and sugar from my diet, my skin looks like a 5 year olds. However, I like bread and sugar.....so I eat them in moderation, and I'm okay with a teny little micro dot here and there that makeup goes right over and you'd never notice. When I did the first round, my acne would have returned by the 5 month mark and if hasnt this time....so I'm not worried. I get compliments all the time too about how nice my skin is.

So that's my story! Anyone torn or curious over doing a second round can read this and get some info. Good luck.

Correction: may 2009, not may 2010

Thanks for sharing! I think I'm soon going back on my second as well. I have enjoyed two years without acne now, two BEST years of my life!! I will fight this with all I got. Stay positive girl, and again thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing!

2 months into my second course and I think, like you, the side effects are slightly worse but nothing I can't handle.

Just got a question after your first course how long did it take you side effects to go?- eg foggy head, dry lips fatigue?

How long after your second course did it take for the side effects to go away?

I had a theory, people have the side effects for a while after accutane this is just the accutane remaining in your system- once this has been flushed the effects go away. However when this happens some peoples acne returns. I think tbh i started feeling healthy again about the time that i had to began my second course-this could have been what happened to me. Hopefully this doesn't mean you must have some accutane in your system for the rest of your life to remain acne free- this is my biggest worry, the long term side effects of accutane- eg will I ever truly be as healthy (mentally, physically) as i was before accutane? -

So anyway back to the questions

Just got a question after your first course how long did it take you side effects to go?- eg foggy head, dry lips fatigue?

How long after your second course did it take for the side effects to go away?- do you feel as healthy as you did before accutane? (mentally, physically)?

thanks

Matt

I've been off Accutane now since October of 2011, and while I was scared it would come back, as a few little teeny dots popped up here and there, I'm happy to say that I am acne free, and I found out that if I cut bread and sugar from my diet, my skin looks like a 5 year olds. However, I like bread and sugar.....so I eat them in moderation, and I'm okay with a teny little micro dot here and there that makeup goes right over and you'd never notice.

What is it in the bread that triggers your acne? I've never heard of this!

I eat a lot of bread, perhaps thats a contributing factor to my acne also. You can buy gluten and wheat free bread, I will give that a try.