Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
conyee

What I Learned About Myself And Life Through Acne

I posted and researched on this site for years desperately trying to end my battle with acne. I have grown to realize it was never a battle between myself and acne but between my inner self and outer desires. Many of you were probably once like me. Unable to read something more than a few paragraphs with the creeping feelings of self-doubt and hatred falling upon you. But as someone who could once fully relate to this unfortunate situation I ask you to let your loathing subside. Acne was at one point in time one of the most troubling problems I have ever dealt with. But in the end it proved to teach me more about life than the years of school I endured with it as my accomplice in misery.

Here is what I thought of acne only a few years ago: Acne makes me feel as though it is the only people will see when they look at me. It makes me feel hideous physically, which triggers a mental obsession that makes me feel bad mentally as feel. One bad glance in the mirror or one reminder of it can bring down from even the highest emotional places. It is as if as long as it is part of me, I can never escape it. As if I can't outshine it. As if while it is with me I can offer nothing to the world. It makes me constantly look to the future because I can't possibly enjoy the present while it is with me.

Since then I have undergone a revolution in spirit. What I am about to say is not true for everyone but everyone can gain the same enlightenment from it. The majority of my acne was not a result of diet, genetics or abuse of my skin. The majority of my acne was caused by stress. The majority of my thoughts about my acne were the result of stress. Without stress acne is only bumps on your face and not the emotional plague I and I am sure many of you come to know it. Seek not outward beauty but beauty of spirit. Daily meditation will distance you from your acne. You are not your acne. Your acne is not you. Establishing distance between your inner self and anything else in the world is the key to happiness and often success.

Very often acne is merely a manifestation of your failure to value your spiritual self over the physical. I learned to practice spiritual maintenance first as a desperate response to my acne. It soon became a trusted method in my response to the condition of life. As my spirit grew stronger and full of love I noticed my acne began to lessen. But more importantly I slowly cared less and less about my acne. I can't say I ever completely stopped caring, only that I found a place through meditation where acne nor any other earthly problem could inhibit me. From this place I have grown stronger than I ever thought possible. I won't tell you about meditation or how to do it because I know you all can do your research as I once did endlessly on the subject acne. But I highly suggest you modify your searching.

In high school girls gave me looks of repulsion due to my skin and unkempt appearance. Now I go to a state university and the same girls can't help but bite their lips when they see me. To them I have undergone a complete physical transformation. Little do they know the more important one was in attitude and spirit. My old acne-ridden and spiritually weak self would relished at their lustful stares and acted on it whenever possible. But everything I wanted then has been outweighed by an insatiable desire for inner peace.

View acne and your obsession with it not as a physical ailment that must be fixed but as a spiritual weakness that must be healed. Let it be your guide to true strength and beauty instead of what keeps you from ever seeing it. Your face can be misshapen and mauled but your spirit is always air. Seek to purify it.

Since then I have undergone a revolution in spirit. What I am about to say is not true for everyone but everyone can gain the same enlightenment from it. The majority of my acne was not a result of diet, genetics or abuse of my skin. The majority of my acne was caused by stress. The majority of my thoughts about my acne were the result of stress. Without stress acne is only bumps on your face and not the emotional plague I and I am sure many of you come to know it. Seek not outward beauty but beauty of spirit. Daily meditation will distance you from your acne. You are not your acne. Your acne is not you. Establishing distance between your inner self and anything else in the world is the key to happiness and often success.

You are not your body. Your body is not You. What helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S6U01qU7Ho&feature=related

near death experience stories. I still have acne but I'm quite happy.

Well said. All in all, you're pretty much saying that not caring about your acne will make you feel better about yourself. I need to start doing that. I'm completely opposite, unfortunately. The only thing I care about is my acne (appearance) and how badly I want it gone after 3 years of dealing with it. It effects me physically (obviously), mentally, and emotionally. How I feel about my acne really does have a massive effect on my mood. I'm just self conscious about my acne. I hardly go out in public because I feel like people are going to be staring at my acne and laugh at me. Maybe it's all in my head? I don't know. Girls supposedly want a guy who has confidence and a good personality. They don't care about looks as much as those two things. To me, I just don't see how a girl would even date me, let alone talk to me, when I have acne on my face. I would think it'd be embarrassing to them to be seen with a guy with acne. How would that make them look? Again, maybe it's all in my head. Maybe most girls are not that shallow. Anyways, I just thought I'd elaborate on this topic. Feel free to leave thoughts on them if you want. Any advice would be helpful also.

Well said. All in all, you're pretty much saying that not caring about your acne will make you feel better about yourself. I need to start doing that. I'm completely opposite, unfortunately. The only thing I care about is my acne (appearance) and how badly I want it gone after 3 years of dealing with it. It effects me physically (obviously), mentally, and emotionally. How I feel about my acne really does have a massive effect on my mood. I'm just self conscious about my acne. I hardly go out in public because I feel like people are going to be staring at my acne and laugh at me. Maybe it's all in my head? I don't know. Girls supposedly want a guy who has confidence and a good personality. They don't care about looks as much as those two things. To me, I just don't see how a girl would even date me, let alone talk to me, when I have acne on my face. I would think it'd be embarrassing to them to be seen with a guy with acne. How would that make them look? Again, maybe it's all in my head. Maybe most girls are not that shallow. Anyways, I just thought I'd elaborate on this topic. Feel free to leave thoughts on them if you want. Any advice would be helpful also.