Notifications
Clear all

19 Year Old With Terrible Acne Scarring

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/10/2012 8:20 pm

Hey guys, I have been a reader for a while and I finally decided to make a thread looking for advice.

I am 19 and have terrible acne scars as you can see from the pictures. I am wondering what can I do.... PLEASE HELP ME!!! I went to one dermatologist and they told me 6 treatment of fractional treatments with a grand total around 2k. I don't know if laser is right for me I have darker skin too and the dermatologist will put hydroquiline on me.

I was looking into TCA peels/cross but the dermatologist said my skin is too dark and will cause loss of pigmentation.. is that true? :(

Anyways I am in Toronto and am looking for anything at this point as its bringing me down.

Thanks

post-172035-0-30213300-1331428719_thumb.

post-172035-0-58936800-1331428739_thumb.

post-172035-0-88852000-1331428763_thumb.

post-172035-0-73835300-1331428782_thumb.

post-172035-0-81489200-1331428806_thumb.

post-172035-0-30213300-1331428719_thumb.

post-172035-0-58936800-1331428739_thumb.

post-172035-0-88852000-1331428763_thumb.

post-172035-0-73835300-1331428782_thumb.

post-172035-0-81489200-1331428806_thumb.

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/10/2012 9:36 pm

...Does anyone have any opinions..please?

MemberMember
(@ihatemyskin94)

Posted : 03/10/2012 10:04 pm

lol thats not terrible dude, mine is worse than that and more red. Dont do any surgery, laser, peel etc. it'll work short term and the scarring will re-appear. I ordered a dermaroller a few days ago so hopefully that works for me, i think you should look into getting one too..

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/10/2012 10:07 pm

I have some deep pitted scar? Wouldn't surgery be good for those?

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 9:39 am

Does anyone have any other advice?

MemberMember
(@harlowefey)

Posted : 03/11/2012 10:09 am

my acne scarring isn't like that.. honestly, i would recommend exfoliating every three days and slathering on vitamin E. but i'm no doctor and i don't know what its like to have pitting scars like that. but if i have a scar i usually put vitamin e on it or bio oil and it works pretty good.

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 10:30 am

harlofewey, do you even have acne scars?

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 12:19 pm

Is my scars that bad that I will never find a cure? Should I just kill myself?

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 03/11/2012 1:09 pm

They really don't look that bad to me. I have some scarring but since I still have active acne i'm just letting them be for now, count yourself lucky your not still dealing with that!

How long ago did your acne stop? I think if it was recently you should seriously consider just waiting and doing something like harlowefey says. Vit E is meant to be good for scarring. Have you browsed the forums and the gallerys? You're bound to find someone with pictures that look like yours and an idea of what they are planning on doing. They will naturally fade over time anyway

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/11/2012 1:40 pm

Good God man, why are you talking like that. At 19 you have your whole life ahead of you. Start looking at your treatment options. My thread concentrates on lasers which may not be a good option for a black man, but there is a lot of other information. http://www.acne.org/...er-link-o-rama/ There is a treatment called Sublative Rejuvination http://www.syneron.c...x_ABG_09_10.pdf , you have subcision, and many other options that are mentioned on this forum. Go see a dermatologist and/or a plastic surgeon. My scars were worse than yours, and I went on the attack instead of giving up on life. I have dated many girls much younger than me. I took one to eat at Hooters and she was the best looking girl in there by far. If you give up on yourself how are you going to thrive?

MemberMember
(@dainbramaged)

Posted : 03/11/2012 2:02 pm

I don't think he's black

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 2:03 pm

I have brown/olive skin lol depends but thank you guys

MemberMember
(@ishmaelish)

Posted : 03/11/2012 2:28 pm

I wish I had skin like yours even though you have scars.

Beats acne, besides, scars are nothing to be ashamed of.

Stop being so dramatic.

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 2:45 pm

Excuse me but in strong sunlight and when i tild my head sideways, these scars look 100 times worse fyi

MemberMember
(@andreaxd)

Posted : 03/11/2012 3:01 pm

If you have the money dont hesitate to get laser treatment, remember most people dont get laser treatment because its a fast solution yet very expensive. Most people dont have 3k dollars to spend on laser and preffer going on cheaper stuff but yet takes longer to disminish. If you consider having laser treatment ask questions , asks for pictures of before and after and make sure its a trusted doctor

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 3:26 pm

I am not going for full co2 but non ablative due to darker skin. Its a total of 6 session and will be around 3 k total

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 3:48 pm

Good God man, why are you talking like that. At 19 you have your whole life ahead of you. Start looking at your treatment options. My thread concentrates on lasers which may not be a good option for a black man, but there is a lot of other information. http://www.acne.org/...er-link-o-rama/ There is a treatment called Sublative Rejuvination http://www.syneron.c...x_ABG_09_10.pdf , you have subcision, and many other options that are mentioned on this forum. Go see a dermatologist and/or a plastic surgeon. My scars were worse than yours, and I went on the attack instead of giving up on life. I have dated many girls much younger than me. I took one to eat at Hooters and she was the best looking girl in there by far. If you give up on yourself how are you going to thrive?

Lol you sound like my mom. I don't really care about what other people thinks but its just I AM not happy with my face. do you have and before and after pics?

MemberMember
(@amomofateen)

Posted : 03/11/2012 8:28 pm

Hi Theonlyandonly. I agree with others who mentioned that the photos make the scarring appear to be almost unnoticeable. Did you or a friend take the photos? Photos taken by a professional medical photographer, or someone who regularly takes medical photographs under professional lighting would give a more accurate portrayal.

What's most important is how you perceive your own skin. Listening to the advice given by a board certified dermatologist about any treatment, including the suggested laser treatment, in my opinion, is the best plan.

Because of the high cost and what sounds like some remaining doubts you have about laser treatment, it would be well worth your time and a little extra money to first get a second opinion from another board certified dermatologist. If both dermatologists agree on a course of treatment, and if both agree on the same pros and cons of the treatment, then you can relax and decide on whether you are ready to follow through with their advice.

If the dermatologist told you that there is a risk of skin lightening using chemical peels, then I'd believe the dermatologist. Medical doctors don't have any advantage in revealing negative side effects, so when they do mention risks, it's probably a good idea to listen carefully. The concern would be when they don't tell you about known side effects, or if they falsely dismiss possible side effects as rare occurrences.

There are risks with all treatments and medications so always ask for the pros and cons on each treatment.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/11/2012 8:36 pm

Lol you sound like my mom. I don't really care about what other people thinks but its just I AM not happy with my face. do you have and before and after pics?

I never post pictures on here.

MemberMember
(@theoneandonly)

Posted : 03/11/2012 9:01 pm

Oh ok thats cool I am going to wear make up from now on.

MemberMember
(@nelo18)

Posted : 03/11/2012 9:08 pm

I am not going for full co2 but non ablative due to darker skin. Its a total of 6 session and will be around 3 k total

I tried skin needling and broke out due to the irriation. I have brown skin, so if anything, i might try eMatrix laser once i re-continue and finish accutane. and ur scars arent that bad. they're are people with way worse scarring.

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 03/12/2012 6:05 am

Oh ok thats cool I am going to wear make up from now on.

I never post pictures on here.

Btw do you think my scars are severe moderate or mild?

It looks like moderate.

MemberMember
(@harlowefey)

Posted : 03/13/2012 11:29 pm

harlofewey, do you even have acne scars?

Yesssss I sure do. Makeup helps to cover them up. I've had one acne scar here on my right cheek thats been here for like 2 years because sometimes a new cyst will appear over the scar and mess up the process of the scar disappearing. I know what it's like to have acne scars. Thanks for asking. :)

MemberMember
(@fruitbiscuits)

Posted : 03/13/2012 11:39 pm

looks like mild-moderate...

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 03/14/2012 1:03 am

If you have the money dont hesitate to get laser treatment, remember most people dont get laser treatment because its a fast solution yet very expensive. Most people dont have 3k dollars to spend on laser and preffer going on cheaper stuff but yet takes longer to disminish. If you consider having laser treatment ask questions , asks for pictures of before and after and make sure its a trusted doctor

Where are you getting your info? I can afford laser, as can many others, but the risks generally outweigh the benefits and lasers don't do a whole lot for scarring despite what they (PS'S) tell you.

OP: Your scars are not that bad. Laser won't help much. You need excision or TCA CROSS first or they'll be utterly worthless. You should look into CROSS. If you don't know what that is, you aren't even close to being ready to make a good decision regarding scar revision. You need to research all your options before you decide on a procedure. Lasers are more risky for you because of your skin tone and non-ablatives aren't real effective.