Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lee00001

Diet For Next 3 Weeks - Criticism/advice Appreciated

Hi,

Here is what i've come up with after hours of banging my head against a brick wall, its not too different from my diet of the past 6 months but I've changed a few things and would appreciate any criticism or advice before I start my 'experiment'.

I'm also going to do a complete dietary analysis, when I have the diet structured sorted....

• Meal 1

• Gluten-free cereal (corn & rice), rice milk, pumpkin seeds, cashew nuts, fruit*.

• Meal 2

• Eggs (x2), Walnuts, fruit*, Omega 3 supplement.

• Meal 3

• Brown rice, meat**, bell pepper, red cabbage, red onion, green beans, chilli powder mix (cayenne, garlic, cucumin etc).

• Meal 4

• Sweet potato or Quinoa, meat**, broccoli, brussel sprouts, peas.

[*]Meal 5

[*]Soy protein isolate & banana smoothie, almonds, 85% dark chocolate, omega 3 supplement.

[*]Drinks

[*]Filtered water, peppermint & nettle tea, redbush tea, green & ginger tea.

*Fruit will be one of: grape fruit, apple, red grapes, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries.

**Meat will be one of: cod, red sea bream, chicken, turkey, canned tuna.

There is no gluten because i'm convinced that i'm either hypersensitive or intolerant, and no dairy because I don't really like milk & cheese anyway (I did consider greek yoghurt but i've heard mixed review on its effects). I'm also not sure about eggs everyday but I can't think of anything as quick/easy and cheap.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

When you buy canned Tuna, just read the ingredients or information.. Sometimes it says it contains soy and milk or Salt etc.. Stuff you don't want

Honestly.. I would keep the grains. Grains have fibre and fibre helps keep you regular and cleans out your rectum.. I think that would play a very important factor in health, especially skin health. A lot of research says that when you have a build up of toxins in your body, it can cause acne. So it's important to push out all those toxins.. in your colon.. with fibre. Make sure you are eating brown, wild, or black rice though (YUMMY). Make sure you rinse your quinoa, because thats removes the outer resin and makes it easier for your body to digest.

http://www.bodyfaq.com/Acne-Library/acne-fibre-connection.html

As for the chill powder mix, I'm not sure if you're buying it prepackaged. But if you are, make sure there isn't any weird stuff in it like Monosodium Glutamate, or stuff you can't pronounce. MSG (monosodium glutamate) apparently.. can cause acne. Legally, they can put "Spices" in the ingredients, and that is MSG.

For the 85% dark chocolate, if you are using it in the smoothie, I would replace that with organic Cocoa powder or cacao nibs (lots of antioxidants and fibre). It gives it the chocolatey taste without the added sugars or milk or other things. (That's what I do, because the banana will sweeten it naturally)

Good luck! :) Sounds like a good meal plan to me. You did a good job.

Honestly.. I would keep the grains.

I genuinely love you for saying that! Ive already taken a lot of grains out my diet in the past 12 months, and it didn't really bother me, but when I took them all out my energy levels dropped massively. I've heard a lot about black rice by the way but I can't find any anywhere :(.

I didn't know that about spices....is there anything these people can't sneak nasty ingredients into? haha

No the chocolate is seperate and always the first thing I crave after a hard workout! and your right, banana sweetens smoothies just right (even if it didn't I wouldnt add sugar on principle haha).

Thanks for the luck ;)

Honestly.. I would keep the grains.

I genuinely love you for saying that! Ive already taken a lot of grains out my diet in the past 12 months, and it didn't really bother me, but when I took them all out my energy levels dropped massively. I've heard a lot about black rice by the way but I can't find any anywhere sad.png.

I didn't know that about spices....is there anything these people can't sneak nasty ingredients into? haha

No the chocolate is seperate and always the first thing I crave after a hard workout! and your right, banana sweetens smoothies just right (even if it didn't I wouldnt add sugar on principle haha).

Thanks for the luck wink.png

Black rice is at a lot of health food stores. You're in the UK, I'm not sure if it's hard to find there but I don't imagine it should be. It really is only sold at health food stores and speciality stores. It has sooooooooo many antioxidants in it and it's just really good for you, better than brown rice even. Back in the day, only emperors were allowed to eat it. :P - fun fact.

It seems like they sneak nasty things into a lot of stuff. I didn't know for a year or so into my vegan diet that "gelatin", like in jello, is made from bone-marrow from animals or something along those lines.

And no problem! :)

Does that Chocolate say Gluten Free on the label? I bought Gluten Free Chex ceral, it was not Gluten Free. FDA allows 20 mmp (as of 2012, 220 mmp before) of Gluten to be in GF labeled foods.

If you think your digestive tract is damaged by the gluten, then you should try avoiding all grains and seeds for a few months while consuming healing foods. Do you have digestion issues? many allergies? other health issues like fatigue?

If you think your digestive tract is damaged by the gluten, then you should try avoiding all grains and seeds for a few months while consuming healing foods. Do you have digestion issues? many allergies? other health issues like fatigue?

I'm pretty sure gluten is an issue, i've started noticing mild stomach discomfort after a gluten rich meal (even gluten free oats - but i've read that oats contain a gluten-like protein), maybe its always been there but i'm only noticing now i've reduced my intake. If I eat no gluten, white potato or buckwheat my digestion is fine, those seem to be the main problem.

The only allergy I have ever had is moderate to severe hayfever but symptoms nearly vanished when I took up an 'inflammation free diet' and used a daily turmeric supplement.

Although i've had no diagnosed health problems or general fatigue, I am prone to tendon inflammation. Three or four times in the last couple of years i've gone a little hypoglycemic after (not during) swimming and running. The swimming and running were early morning so likely due to low blood sugar, but it also happened the other month in the gym around 3 pm (after two or three meals), but nothing since. I'm not diabetic by the way, I was tested a few month ago. Also I had two blood tests a year ago the first my WBC count was below minimum, the second just over. Lastly the size of my lymph glands either side my trachea correlate to the severity of my acne, unfortunatly the lymphatic system is one of the only systems I haven't studied so I have no idea how it works or how to 'enhance' it.

What could I replace gluten-free cereal, brown rice and quinoa with? I try and limit my complex carbs from grains/seeds as much as possible, but without it seems to take my body forever to recover from even moderate training. Shouldn't those three be completely free of gluten anyway?

I was thinking the other day and one theory I came up with was gluten/oats is causing an mild allergic reaction in my digestive system (hence the reduced WBC count and lympatic blockage), damage to the mucosa of the small intestine is reducing vitamin and mineral absorbtion which explains tendon inflammation (vitamin C), acne (vitamin A, zinc), and hypoglycemia (B vitamins, iron).

Clealy my body is well out of balance, it's just the why which is puzzeling me...

I appreciate all your help by the way :)

I'm pretty sure gluten is an issue, i've started noticing mild stomach discomfort after a gluten rich meal (even gluten free oats - but i've read that oats contain a gluten-like protein), maybe its always been there but i'm only noticing now i've reduced my intake. If I eat no gluten, white potato or buckwheat my digestion is fine, those seem to be the main problem.

so does rice and other grains and potatoes. Just because you don't notice a reaction doesn't mean they aren't preventing healing.

What could I replace gluten-free cereal, brown rice and quinoa with?

Sweet potatoes, winter squashes, cauliflower...

Edited by alternativista

If you're craving chocolate, that may indicate that your body needs magnesium. Pure cocoa is one of the highest food sources of magnesium, a mineral in which 60% of people are deficient (there's a good thread about minerals somewhere around here). Just another note for you to ponder.

Incidentally, I just bought cacao nibs for the first time yesterday, and they taste like a good, dark beer. Very bitter. I added them to my oatmeal this morning and balanced the bitterness out with blueberries. Delicious.

The only allergy I have ever had is moderate to severe hayfever but symptoms nearly vanished when I took up an 'inflammation free diet' and used a daily turmeric supplement.

Good. But I didn't know I had any allergies, until I figured out my severe cystic acne was a reaction to most citrus.

Edited by alternativista

so does rice and other grains and potatoes. Just because you don't notice a reaction doesn't mean they aren't preventing healing.

What could I replace gluten-free cereal, brown rice and quinoa with?

Sweet potatoes, winter squashes, cauliflower...

The problem for me is this:

100g Brown Rice - 111 kcal - 23g CHO

100g Cauliflower - 19 kcal - 4g CHO

100g Winter Squash - 40 kcal - 10g CHO

The last time I had my TDE (total daily expenditure) analysed it was between 2,500 - 3,000 depending on what training I did on that day. So to make my TDE by switching high energy dense foods (such as brown rice) for low energy dense foods (such as vegetables), would require me to constantly be cooking/eating.

I appologise if I seem to be dismissing all of everyone's comments by the way, I am honestly not, these are the genuine barriers i'm facing at the minute. I have to try and balance consuming enough calories and in the right proportions (carbs, fats, protein), whilst avoiding acne inducing foods, it's a constant tradeoff :(.

I took out all grains and just eat sweet potatoes for my carbs...economically it amounts to the same and at least for now, I still love sweet potatoes.

If you are having trouble getting enough calories, try putting a lot of extra virgin olive oil on your food. As far as I know, EVOO is good for you, although I guess too much could upset your balance of Omega 3s to Omega 6s. But it's 900 calories per 100 ml (3 fl oz) !

I took out all grains and just eat sweet potatoes for my carbs...economically it amounts to the same and at least for now, I still love sweet potatoes.

If you are having trouble getting enough calories, try putting a lot of extra virgin olive oil on your food. As far as I know, EVOO is good for you, although I guess too much could upset your balance of Omega 3s to Omega 6s. But it's 900 calories per 100 ml (3 fl oz) !

This. Or coconut oil. That's how I eat my sweet potatoes, in fact. Blend of cinnamon, cayenne, salt and olive oil. And usually stuffed with spinach, pumpkin seeds, little bit of goat or other strong flavored cheese, etc.

Also, eating plant foods high in mucin help restore your mucin lining. This means anything slimy or that turns to a gel in water: Okra, cactus, aloe vera, malabar spinach, purslane, chia, flax, etc.

Besides, the avoidance of all seeds is temporary. After your symptoms go away and at least one month, especially if you consume the healing foods, you can add the more benign seeds back into your diet like properly prepared oats, letgumes, etc.

Edited by alternativista