Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
larzooma

Acne Only On Forehead

I’ve had acne since my early teens (I’m now 28). It used to be all over my face, especially around my mouth but also my forehead, temples, and cheeks. Over the years almost all of my face has cleared up 99% except my forehead. I rarely get any on the bottom of my face and I never get cysts. Has anyone else experienced a slow clearing of parts of their face but not others? I go through periods (months at a time) where my skin gets better on my forehead. I’m not sure if it’s hormones or issues with my diet. All I know is I’ve eaten similar foods for the past 3 years, and I’ve gone through long periods of being clear and periods of breaking out. Oddly, I usually only break out in two areas on either side of my forehead. I rarely get them along my hairline or in the middle of my forehead, and I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a cyst in the middle. About a year and a half ago I had a major breakout on both sides. I went to a derm and they prescribed me Tretinoin cream 0.025%, which cleared them up 99% and kept me cyst free until just recently. I’ve gone up to 0.05% but I’m still getting cysts. I also get acne on my back and chest, which was a lot worse when I was younger but I still get them. I’m just looking for any advice on what might be causing just this type of acne. Thanks.

Hey larzooma,

I have the exact same conditions that you are describing. Acne only only on my forehead on both sides, maybe one or two in the middle, but none on the rest of my face. I was thinking that some of it was from my pillow as I am a front sleeper. So recently I have been trying to sleep on my back and see if that helps. I have also been on a dairy and gluten free diet for 3 months, which seems to make no difference to me. I use to use the regimen consistently, but I stopped for a while. I have been back on it for about a week and following instruction closely. I am still currently having the same heavy breakouts in these areas, but its too early to diagnose if it is working or not. Let me know if you have any luck with this. Also, have you had any changes to your personal routine or anything touching your face? I also know that stress is a major reason that I break out sometimes, but I don't feel stressed at all and am still breaking out as of lately.

I'm going to attempt a gluten free diet over the next month or two to see if that helps. Today I was checking my supplements to see if they contained gluten because I read some do. The omega 3 supplement I take, which I thought was plant based, contains concentrated fish oil. I've had issues with fish oil causing cystic acne in the past, and I started taking it around the time I broke out. I definitely have an issue with digestion, which is why I'm trying a gluten free diet with a lot of fruits and vegetables plus I'm going to take a digestive enzyme supplement and pro-biotic just waiting for them to come in. I switched to shampoo without sulfate and other harsh chemicals and started using burt's bees face wash and lotion but this was a month and a half after I started getting cysts

The more I research, the more I think that the root cause of my acne is in my diet. At one point last year, I had really bad stomach pains. I went to the doctor and they said it was probably Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Of course if you look that up, you will see that it's a fancy way of saying "I don't know what is wrong with your stomach". Although I have been recently eating healthy for a few months, my diet throughout my life hasn't been great all the time. Honestly, I don't like the idea of having to use chemicals like BP, and I would much prefer to go completely natural. So I'm exercising regularly now, drinking at least half my body weight in ounces of water, and my diet is 80% or more raw foods. In addition, I'm also taking a really good probiotic everyday, multivitamin, and fish oil pills. I usually have a green smoothie for breakfast too. Basically, I'm looking at how to best detoxify myself and change my lifestyle to how we should be living. This is a long hard road, but I think it's the right one to getting clear permanently. It may take a year or more, but I'm prepared to do what it takes. I also saw the Burt's Bees products, and I think those look really good. It's hard to find a moisturizer that is 100% natural and non-comdomegenic. A good tip I found for the morning is to start off with just a glass of spring water (clean as you can get). Then mix a table spoon of psyllium fiber in another glass, drink it right away, and follow that with more water. Very detoxifying and easy on the stomach.

I agree penthagorus. Over the years I’ve had many signs my diet was causing me issues but I always fought it’s connection to acne for selfish reasons. I started eating healthier a few years ago to lose weight but it mostly consisted of substituting foods with fats and sugars for whole wheat products. As of late my entire diet consisted of whole wheat. This week I haven’t had any at all and stuck to fruits, vegetables, and chicken. I haven’t had a new cyst after stopping the supplement with fish oil, which may have been the cause for me as of late. I always assumed I broke out on my forehead primarily because of sweat but I think it’s only part of the story. Sure excess sweat on my forehead compared to the rest of my face is causing the acne but it’s because I don’t properly digest my foods and have infrequent bowel movements, so the toxins are coming out through my skin. This girl used to joke around in college that she had perfectly clear skin because she went to the bathroom 5 times a day, but I’m starting to think in part it’s not a joke. If gluten is causing me issues with digestion and absorption of nutrients then I’m cutting it out completely. I drink water all day long but it isn’t enough to clean out my system. I’m tired of worrying about it constantly and feeling bad. The thing that used to get me through when I was breaking out in high school was the eventual clearing in my early 20s and here I am going on to 30 with partial clearing but this persistent forehead acne.

hm, does your hair touch your forehead most of the time? I've noticed that since I started sleeping with my hair wrapped my back acne has completely cleared up

Hey larzooma,

I have the exact same conditions that you are describing. Acne only only on my forehead on both sides, maybe one or two in the middle, but none on the rest of my face. I was thinking that some of it was from my pillow as I am a front sleeper. So recently I have been trying to sleep on my back and see if that helps. I have also been on a dairy and gluten free diet for 3 months, which seems to make no difference to me. I use to use the regimen consistently, but I stopped for a while. I have been back on it for about a week and following instruction closely. I am still currently having the same heavy breakouts in these areas, but its too early to diagnose if it is working or not. Let me know if you have any luck with this. Also, have you had any changes to your personal routine or anything touching your face? I also know that stress is a major reason that I break out sometimes, but I don't feel stressed at all and am still breaking out as of lately.

Hey, getting forehead on both sides of your forehead means oyu are eating too much processed foods. Try going for some liver supplements! Eg burdoch root

It may also be due to hair too though!

No, I actually eat very few processed foods. My diet is very healthy. I only eat fruit and vegetables for breakfast. Usually soup and salad for lunch, and maybe rice, veggies and chicken for dinner. I have even moved away from cooking foods with oil and what not. I'm not a huge believer anymore of taking supplements unless a doctor gives you a good reason. I think eating a healthy and balanced diet should provide you with all the nutrition you need; however, I have started taking a vitamin d tablet in addition since I don't get a lot of sun during the winter.

I have very short hair, so that is definitely not it. If anything, I'm thinking that it is either mental such as stress or possibly I have an allergic/inflamatory reaction to certain foods. Thanks, for the thoughts though.