Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justmeuk

Is It Safe To Have A Professional Dermaroller Treatment If Still Getting Occasional Pimples?

I am due to have my first professional dermaroller treatment on Friday. I've been off of roaccutane for nine months but in the last couple of months i've started getting the odd tiny pimple, maybe one a fortnight and it's usually gone within a day or two, so nothing like the severe acne i had before roaccutane. However when i told the nurse that i was getting these spots she decided to delay my dermarolling treatment and put me on a course of lymecycline for a month before treatment. The reason for this being that if there is an underlying infection that the dermaroller could spread it and bring me out in lots of spots which may scar. I was actually prescribed lymecycline before roaccutane but it didn't do anything for me. I told her this but she said it will still work at keeping the infection at bay. Anyway i'm now less than a week away till my first treatment and i'm starting to panic a bit as the lymecycline doesn't seem to have made any difference and although i'm only getting occasional spots i'm terrified that the dermaroller might spread it and i might end up with even more scars. Has anyone ever had a dermaroller done and had this happen? I don't know what to do for the best at the moment.

Is It Safe To Have A Professional Dermaroller Treatment If Still Getting Occasional Pimples?

Nope.

Thanks for that input. Anyone else got a different opinion? I have an appointment to see Dr Chu in a couple of months, i am sure i read somewhere that he rolled when someone had a few pimples. I would stress that i really wouldn't consider what i have to be active acne, just more like the occasional pimple, some of them are the size a of a pin head so really tiny. I think i'm going to make an appointment with my GP before i see Dr Chu and see if he can prescribe me a different antibiotic, i am just doubtful that i will ever be at a stage where i never get a spot, i have had spots for the last 20 years and have tried everything. Roccutane has cleared me up to the point that i am happy and an occasional spot doesn't bother me. If this means that i can't have dermaroller treatments i may as well give up now.

it should be alright to roll on them VERY lightly and then spot treat those with some topical cream so it penetrates deeper. But leave those areas for last so it doesnt get on the needles and spread to other places. if you have a smart derm then he/she should know what theyre doing. good luck!

it should be alright to roll on them VERY lightly and then spot treat those with some topical cream so it penetrates deeper. But leave those areas for last so it doesnt get on the needles and spread to other places. if you have a smart derm then he/she should know what theyre doing. good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I've decided to cancel my appointment with a local nurse for Friday and wait out to see Dr Chu. He is one of the top dermatologists in the UK so if it is too risky then i guess he just won't do it. Hopefully he might do subcision or TCA instead otherwise i will have had a wasted journey. It will take me nearly four hours to get there so i am really hoping he can do the dermarolling. I have pinned all my hopes on this being the best option for me so to not even be able to try it will be gutting.

yeah that seems to have been the best thing to do. dermarolling takes multiple treatments. so if you go see Dr Chu and he agrees to do it then youll have to keep going back perhaps every month. and it takes about 10 months to see some (if any) improvement. i really do hope you get what your looking for. i wish there was a one time cure for this. cheers.

In general, you would just avoid the area with active acne.

Everyone still gets occasional pimples, even when acne vulagris at large is mostly under control. Many procedures still work, regardless, and many doctors are even willing to treat both active acne and scars at the same time if they are good enough.