Bad Intestinal Bact...

Notifications
Clear all

Bad Intestinal Bacteria May Be Causing Inflammatory Acne

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 03/07/2012 5:59 pm

Here is possibly confirmation that indeed an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut could negatively affect skin. This may be of interest to others with resistant inflammatory acne so I am posting my experience.

I had a stool test done and got the results today. My regular doc says I have an overgrowth of bad bacteria, an undergrowth of good bacteria and a fungal infection. This is despite taking probiotics, etc. He is putting me on an antibiotic called Bactrim and Nystatin. And he never prescribes antibiotics unless absolutely necessary so I am taking this seriously.

Bactrim is the very same antibiotic that my old derm prescribed and that I took for years --- it's the only antibiotic that calms down my type of acne which is wierd. My skin can be clear and then whammo...it will swell up in 1-2 huge lumps that are infected, red, and very painful. These things quickly come to a head and erupt with lots of pus and blood (sorry) and usually a hard plug. Then my skin returns to looking clear within a day or two with some discoloration. Then it happens again in a week or two.

I used to take a short course of Bactrim when this happened and then would not get another one for months. Maybe I was just keeping the bad bacteria at bay all these years when I took Bactrim for flare-ups. My old derm stopped letting me use Bactrim last summer and I have been suffering with more and more frequent outbreaks in recent months...to the point I get one every other week or so. Very depressing since they are so inflammed...I mean really inflammed. I have to stay home they are so infected.

My regular doc firmly believes my problem is with my gut and not my skin...although my facial skin is where I happen to suffer from the inflammation. He thinks that if we can get the gut healed the skin will follow. He may be right. Next time I get an inflammed swollen infected thing he wants to swab it to determine exactly what kind of bacteria is causing these outbreaks. No doctor or derm has every taken my condition this seriously. I have read in research papers about taking a sample of pus to determine what exactly is causing the bacterial outbreak but not one of my derms has ever done that. Although my current derm seems to be taking this more seriously than most and is working with my doc to figure this out since my ongoing resistant condition (40+ years) just doesn't go away despite the usual treatments. And he wants to know why.

Although I have to say that I am also taking this very seriously as I became fed up several years ago and demanded a more scientific approach. When I did this the doc and derm responded with appropriate hormone tests, allergy tests, etc. Plus it helps that my regular doc believes in what is called Functional Medicine --- treating the whole body and working with the body to effect healing...rather than just treating symptoms.

Just thought I would share this. The results and how inflammation works in the body ties in with my food allergies and possible histamine sensitivity. As I understand it, once the body becomes chronically inflammed then everything goes whacky. Very hard to treat it naturally when it gets this bad. Although it can be done. We are moving in that direction but have to nudge things along with some modern meds!

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 12/09/2012 6:03 am

My regular doc firmly believes my problem is with my gut and not my skin...although my facial skin is where I happen to suffer from the inflammation. He thinks that if we can get the gut healed the skin will follow. He may be right. Next time I get an inflammed swollen infected thing he wants to swab it to determine exactly what kind of bacteria is causing these outbreaks. No doctor or derm has every taken my condition this seriously. I have read in research papers about taking a sample of pus to determine what exactly is causing the bacterial outbreak but not one of my derms has ever done that. Although my current derm seems to be taking this more seriously than most and is working with my doc to figure this out since my ongoing resistant condition (40+ years) just doesn't go away despite the usual treatments. And he wants to know why.

Any update on this since you last wrote it? As in, did your doc's find out the type of bacteria?

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 12/10/2012 11:43 am

Yes - the doc did find out what kind of bacteria but I can't remember now. He put me on strong probotics and I follow a strict allergy diet to reduce inflammation. All this has helped but what really helped my skin was the complete regime below. It's complicated but it works...for me! It seems that if you have really resistant chronic acne you have to attack it on several fronts all at the same time --- lowering surface bacteria, calming internal and external inflammation, and helping pores to shed better. The regime below does that. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:45 pm

You have leaky gut and SIBO! You've got to change the way you eat. Antibiotics will make the condition worse in the long run. You've got to go through an entire detox diet phase, and a round of antibiotics. Then completely re-vamp your whole diet (no grains, sugar, dairy, low carb, lots of proteins and healthy fats, fruits and veggies). Lastly, add in a high quality probiotic to fix the damage from your antibiotic. Good to hear you found your cure and good luck

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 12/12/2012 4:05 am

Yes - the doc did find out what kind of bacteria but I can't remember now. He put me on strong probotics and I follow a strict allergy diet to reduce inflammation. All this has helped but what really helped my skin was the complete regime below. It's complicated but it works...for me! It seems that if you have really resistant chronic acne you have to attack it on several fronts all at the same time --- lowering surface bacteria, calming internal and external inflammation, and helping pores to shed better. The regime below does that. Hope this helps!

Thank you. And well done.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 12/12/2012 4:06 pm

i have been thinking for a while that my intestines may be the cause of my acne, although i do not know where to go to get a doctor to help me. all my dermatologist wants to do is put me on Accutane, and during my last visit i even told her of my intestinal issues. what kind of doctor do you see for all these things you mentioned? i had a damn hard time even getting in the derm office for a cortizone shot, which seems to be like a fucking golden egg for these people.

i am really desperate to fix myself... i am considering Accutane but i do not want to go on harsh drugs that will only offer temporary alleviation, because i know it will not solve anything. is it any coincidence that only industrialized nations suffer acne? i believe that it is a conspiracy against our own kind so the pharmaceutical companies can bank off of us. even 50 years ago people did not have as much acne as there is running rampant today. i believe it must be the farming industry acting with the pharm industry so they have us by the cajones

MemberMember
(@freeas4bird)

Posted : 12/13/2012 7:29 pm

i understand this completly, i always wondered if that is the reason why i have adult acne as never had it as a teen, my doctors cant find the reason behind it. However they did send me for a biopsy which they couldnt find the results for 6 months and then told me they found it and there is nothing to worry about it. not sure if that was the case or they where just lying so i wouldnt complain against them. now am stuck on accutane for the next 5 months.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 12/18/2012 12:55 pm

Accutane really isn't as evil as everyone is making it out to be. Not so long ago it was seen as the miracle drug for treating cystic acne...and it still is. Yes, it is a strong drug and yes it is not right for everyone. But for most people who have tried it, it is amazing. I did it twice many years ago and it forever changed my pores so that my cystic acne was much more manageable...meaning that topicals and other less strong drugs actually worked. Before taking accutane nothing worked...and I mean nothing. My skin was a mess and nothing budged it. Now with the regime below I have clear skin. For some of us with truly resistant chronic cystic acne there is no cure and no growing out of this. Contrary to current thinking people did suffer from acne many years ago. All you have to do is look at old magazines to see all the ads for tar soaps and other blemish creams. There was a time when x-ray was used to treat acne, actually all through the early part of the century. And it effectively wiped out the acne but it meant those people were really prone to serious skin cancer later so it was stopped. The only thing worth looking at from a cultural perspective is our use of dairy and cosmetics, both of which can lead to acne flare-ups. In cultures where make-up and dairy is nonexistant, acne is less too. But then there are other problems in many of those cultures which tend to be primitive. The only modern culture worth comparing is traditional Asian where acne is much less due probably to less dairy and more greens. But even that culture is changing and acne is becoming more common. So to reiterate....accutane is good. If your doctor is recommending it then take it. You'll be clear while on it and who knows...maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and have a total remission of your acne! And another thought --- my brother is a doctor and he strives to heal. He is not in it only for the money (although it is a nice perk) but his main focus is to help others. I think we need to let go of the idea that derms are in it to screw us. Why? Doesn't make any sense. My derm is thrilled I am clearing up and he also supports my alternative treatments and also any diet that helps.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 7:43 pm

You might get more help on SIBO forums. If you really want to kill SIBO, you'll need 1-2 courses of Rifamaxin. Bactrim will help but it won't eradicate SIBO.

Though there are a few people on there who say they have seen amazing results with enteric-coated peppermint oil and oil of oregano capsules over many months.

Have you been tested for C. diff and Helicobacter pylori? Both are particularly hard to kill.

MemberMember
(@healthywomen)

Posted : 12/22/2012 2:19 pm

I think endotoxin plays a big part. Endotoxin is produced by you eating slowly digestible foods. It also becomes a problem when you have slow thyroid function. You want to get food in and out as fast as possible to lower the ability of these bacteria to feed on your food. When they feed they cause the body to produce lactic acid which is a toxic.

MemberMember
(@mikex10a)

Posted : 12/29/2012 4:39 pm

I think I may have this issue. I have other symptoms and other issues that I've gone to the doctor in the past about and all of my research pointed to bacteria in my digestive system.

Guess I'll find a good gastroenterologist and get some tests done.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:16 pm

i'm interested in learning more about the specific tests that were run on your stool and where something like that is generally done. i have food intolerances (confirmed thru Alcat testing and Leap Mediator Release testing) and my skin is a mess. I take good probiotics, L glutamine to heal the gut, eat no dairy, sugar, processed foods and eat good grains and high protein. I limit my fruit as well as their is too much sugar in most of them. I avoid yeast like the plague as I have seborrheic dermatitis as well. Doing all of this for two years has produced no results whatsoever and I dont know what else to do or try. I have also been taking tumeric supplements to calm inflammation internally. I believe long term use of antiobiotics did my gut in.. My skin has never looked so bad. I also am taking Nystatin and Oil of Oregano for two weeks and my scaling and flaking plugged skin is worse. Maybe it gets worse before it gets better but I feel as though I;m losing this long battle

MemberMember
(@germandolls)

Posted : 01/01/2013 6:09 pm

i have been thinking for a while that my intestines may be the cause of my acne, although i do not know where to go to get a doctor to help me. all my dermatologist wants to do is put me on Accutane, and during my last visit i even told her of my intestinal issues. what kind of doctor do you see for all these things you mentioned? i had a damn hard time even getting in the derm office for a cortizone shot, which seems to be like a fucking golden egg for these people.

If you think you have problems with your intestines and want to try probiotics, you don't need to go to the Dr for it. It's actually not a bad idea to take one daily just for the sake of taking one. It's really good for digestion, immune system, bloating, etc. So it wouldn't hurt to take it even if it doesn't help with your acne :)

There are many different potencies, ranging from a low dose at like, 1 million or they have some that go up to 200 billion. If you wanted to take it though just for maintenence, a low dose daily is fine.