Oily, Yet Dry And F...

Notifications
Clear all

Oily, Yet Dry And Flakey...help?!

MemberMember
(@blondedancer10)

Posted : 03/07/2012 1:22 am

So, after having acne for around 8 years now, I can honestly say I have no idea if my skin is dry, oily or combo.

Reason being, I use moisturizer(moderately) but I always seem to be overly oily...but the reason I use moisturizer is because I use Dan's BP (and have for 6 years now) and it dries me out. So honestly, my skin looks dry as in is flakey and dried out from the BP but is also shiney/oily from I guess my natural oiliness, as well as the moisturizer. If I don't moisturize my skin, it just looks REALLY dry and flakey but with less shine....IDK I'm at a loss as to how to maintain a balance between this. How can I make my face look moisturized without being too oily and with no DRY SHINEY FLAKES?!

HELP!

Thanks in advance

MemberMember
(@consciousgirl)

Posted : 03/07/2012 8:35 am

I had exactly the same condition of yours. I strictly advise you trying drinking 2 cups of mint tea per day and using natural products that will nourish your skin and mildly control the sebum production. I have been using Artistry's Balancing skincare system for a week, it eradicated the flakiness and I feel that my pores are cleaner. I am not an Amway sales representative by the way. I don' try to advertise it or something. Besides I live in Turkey so it wouldn't make any favour to me. :)

I never heard such a cream BP but checked out on the net to see what it is about. I would never ever use it.

[Removed]

A recent research study into the use of aqueous cream on healthy skin showed that regular use of aqueous cream can reduce the thickness of healthy skin and increase water loss from the skin. This is thought to be because it contains a detergent called sodium lauryl sulphate rather than just moisturisers. Skin experts now recommend that people with eczema only use aqueous cream as a soap substitute. There are many alternative moisturisers available for use in people with eczema.

Before I bought artistry I would make toners from herbal teas such as mint, green tea, rosemary.. As a moustrizer I have use organic creams and avoid strictly chemical ones.

MemberMember
(@mat-meihofer)

Posted : 03/07/2012 8:56 pm

try some aloe vera.

MemberMember
(@blondedancer10)

Posted : 09/17/2012 11:46 am

Still looking for some input! I appreciate the above suggestions but unfortunately I am still experiencing this issue. Especially when I wear makeup, my T-zone is shiney/oily, yet you can see up close that it is dry and flakey. I tried using a sheer blotting powder in this area but it just accentuates the flakiness...HELP!!!

crazy.gif

MemberMember
(@rnm410)

Posted : 09/17/2012 1:59 pm

Firstly, let me say, I am the same red, flaky, and oily. I did the whole Dan's thing for a bit and I admit it works, but it wasn't for me. Somehow somthing my skin cleared its self one spring, looked much younger. That was untill I worked in the oil spill. Since then I've been dealing with whatever it is combo agony. When my skin was clear and balanced I do recall two things that I did in that period, outside of diet. Diluted lemon juice, from fresh squeezed lemons, on the face, and a B-complex vitamins. Was using Giovanni triple threat? shampoo to wash my skin and hair, and finishing with lemon juice. I've since then gone super hippy and droped all the chemicals in my life, I am just now getting back to lemon juice, and I've noticed my skin is less flaky. But I'm still slightly oily because I use pure shea butter or hemp seed to moisturize. Blah blah could go on. I've tried everything and I could clear up but I won't compromise my organic lifestyle.

The question is: What do you use on your face? (wash, toner, mouisturizer, creams, ....)

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 09/17/2012 10:09 pm

I used to have the same problem my face would be super oily but my chin and underneath my jawline would be really dry. I switched from bp to sulfur and started taking chromium,magnesium,zinc supplements and drank tomato juice everyday which really helped a lot i used to have very severe acne this shit saved my life my oil production reduced but im a guy so i dont know.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/19/2012 1:10 pm

My skin was always like this on BP. Once I switched to a sulfur cleanser that stopped.

MemberMember
(@rnic2)

Posted : 12/05/2012 6:46 pm

have you ever tried Clinique Dramatic difference gel? its pretty amazing, i've used MANY products and have finally stuck with this moisterizer. my skin use to be really dry and flaky then as hours progressed after washing up i would get oily.. worst feeling ever. so far this moisterizer has kept me satisfied, even through the dreadful winter months!.. around $25 dollars too..

MemberMember
(@timaku)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:39 pm

I have this same problem. The edges around my nose are especially flakey. What actually happened is that I ended up applying a bunch more than normal moisturizer at night and more in the day. It eventually eliminates the flakiness (after 2-4 days). Downside is that you are left with oily shiney skin. My solution to that is to blot the oil away. I wait 20-30 minutes after moisturizing to do this (only in the morning, no one sees my oiley face at night..., but blot if you're going out at night though). This method works pretty well. I still have minimal flakes around the edge of the nose, but much less than before. My skin doesn't seem to flake anywhere else other than the nose (it used to flake on my chin and cheeks).

And as long as I'm blotting (with oil paper, kleenex, napkins, any clean paper source), my skin looks OK.

MemberMember
(@apollo94)

Posted : 01/18/2013 7:17 pm

I used to have this problem too. I know this might sound weird coming from a guy, but I found my solution was exfoliation. I have the Dermalogica brand exfoliation powder. You basically just mix it with water in your hands, rub it on your face, and it rubs off all the dead skin cells that are sitting on top. Dermalogica isn't the only place that makes exfoliator though, so don't think that's your only option. You have to find the one that works best for you. Be careful though because over exfoliating can cause damage to your skin.

I literally used to have the same problem. My skin was oily, but I had nasty dead skin peeling all the time. It was horrible on my self confidence. But since I discovered exfoliation I've never had the problem since.

So basically this is what I do:

At night I wash my face, exfoliate, and then put on the needed amount of moisturizer/acne med needed for the night.

Next day I wake up, take a shower, let the shower rinse my face, then repeat.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 01/22/2013 7:49 am

I think you need to use a different moisturizer. It sounds like this one is making you more oily. Also, if you have a lot of dead skin, moisturizers don't absorb very well and will just sit on top of your flakes thus making your skin look greasy. Have you thought about using the AHA that comes with the regimen, as exfoliating would help, whether it's physical [scrubbing] or chemical [AHA/BHA]