Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AceEpidermis

Black Under-Eye Circles

I have some fairly substantial dark circles under my eyes, and was wondering if anyone had any sure fire tips to getting rid of them, or at least reducing them? I'm frequently well-rested, so it's not a matter of getting more sleep. =P

I use this sucker:

polls_Garnier_2Banti_puff_2Beye_2Broller_5023_143332_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

It works really well. :) It's cooling, goes on easy and it's clear. I get chronic dark circles too (although mine are from lack of sleep) and this pretty much stompinates them. My older sister turned me onto it because she uses it, it helps her and she used to walk on the bags under her eyes.

You could also try taking a vitamin B12 supplement. Sometimes the dark circles are related to a B12 deficiency, so that might help a little. And you know, cutting cucumber slices and putting them on your eyes actually works to some degree. :lol: Or you could use a cooling gel mask. They look weird and you'll probably want to do it privately, but they feel really nice and they help, too.

I use this sucker:

It works really well. :) It's cooling, goes on easy and it's clear. I get chronic dark circles too (although mine are from lack of sleep) and this pretty much stompinates them. My older sister turned me onto it because she uses it, it helps her and she used to walk on the bags under her eyes.

You could also try taking a vitamin B12 supplement. Sometimes the dark circles are related to a B12 deficiency, so that might help a little. And you know, cutting cucumber slices and putting them on your eyes actually works to some degree. :lol: Or you could use a cooling gel mask. They look weird and you'll probably want to do it privately, but they feel really nice and they help, too.

Why thank you, I'll give that all a try. It just so happens there is some fresh cucumber in the house, so I'll start with that method and work my way up. :)

I use this sucker:

It works really well. smile.png It's cooling, goes on easy and it's clear. I get chronic dark circles too (although mine are from lack of sleep) and this pretty much stompinates them. My older sister turned me onto it because she uses it, it helps her and she used to walk on the bags under her eyes.

You could also try taking a vitamin B12 supplement. Sometimes the dark circles are related to a B12 deficiency, so that might help a little. And you know, cutting cucumber slices and putting them on your eyes actually works to some degree. lol.gif Or you could use a cooling gel mask. They look weird and you'll probably want to do it privately, but they feel really nice and they help, too.

I was going to suggest this too.

edit: actually, I use their concealer which looks a lot like this, but it's a beige colored container.

Edited by Prettywords

Dark circles are similar to hematomas (bruising.) It's little blood vessels that leak around the lower park of the eye and cause pools of blood, which is why you see such darkness of the under eye. I have very dark circles under my eyes. I use erase paste by Benefit as a concealer. You can find it at Sephora or Macy's. It's very similar to a paste and its very creamy. I have even used it on my entire face for hyper pigmentation, it works magic. Make sure to match your skin tone. You don't want to get too light of a color and highlight the problem.

Hope this helped. smile.png

From thin skin? You can try to increase collagen production there to thicken skin. And try to conceal them. But I've been trying for so many years....

I have the same thing. If I pull my cheek down, I can see the tiny blood vessels and what looks almost like scales. You can't notice it from more than 4 or 5 feet away, but when I'm up close in the mirror, it's definitely bad. Wish I knew how to get rid of it too..

From thin skin? You can try to increase collagen production there to thicken skin. And try to conceal them. But I've been trying for so many years....

I'm not entirely sure what the cause is. It may very well be thin skin. There's an almost translucent quality to the dark circles. I've consulted various articles on the subject and they all seem to hold to the opinion that everyone has dark circles to some degree. Yet mine are particularly awful. In addition to thin skin, could my pale complexion be a factor?

I use this sucker:

I've shelled out for the roller. I don't think I applied it properly initially, though. It's the same product, but with concealer as well, much like Prettywords described. I'm hopeful that it works.

On the subject of B12 deficiencies, does anyonehappen to know just how much B12 you're supposed to get in a day?

If you google B-12 there should be a Wiki page for that supplement that tells you how much you should have for your age.

You could also have dark cricles that are hereditary.

In my case, my dark circles were a result of sinus issues... I have a deviated septum.

I'm Canadian so the surgery isn't costly (covered under our health care) but still, the thought of the breaking my nose to reset it with only a 75% chance it'll work (with no complications) and in the 75%, a 50% chance that there will be no difference... i'll still have sinus issues.

Also, there is no guarantee that will reduce my dark circles.

My Dark Circles are large and very prominent above and below the eye. They are commonly called allergic moonshiners (by Doctors) as I look like I was in a fight and lost badly. Being 6'7" sometimes make people have the 'goon' impression but my size also allows me to not care.

I've combated the dark circles using B12 supplements, many and a wide variety of under eye creams, gels and roller. I only caution that some can cause irritation and leave you with a ghastly looking rash. Be very careful of the area around your eyes!! I am currently not using anything.

If you know your dark circles are caused by sinus issues then try some kind of nasal irrigation (neti pot) daily. Plenty of sleep and use your allergic meds (I prefer aerius) daily. I still have noticable dark circles under my eyes but given where I am in my life, I has never impeded me in anyway. Don't let it bother you.

--Ian.

Oh and forgot, for B12... just get a simple multivitamin. You only need like 2.5 mcg daily. Go to your doc, ask what your 'level's are like, they'll do blood work and from there get a recommendation for the types of vitamins you should be taking. Everyone is different.

How can you increase collagen production?

I have really bad dark circles sometimes too and I always get enough sleep and eat extremely healthy. One thing I noticed is that they get a lot worse if I eat foods I have a delayed allergic reaction to. It's only when I started cutting things out of my diet that the dark circles started to look considerably better. I thought they were hereditary! For me avoiding gluten was the biggest factor in making them go away. From what I have read online dark circles are either: hereditary, an undetected food or airborne allergy, overload of toxins in the body, bad kidney function or improper elimination.

I can't wait until I have saved enough money to have a delayed reaction allergy test done. I think that and too many toxins is the real answer for me to making them go away. One thing that is gross but actually works pretty well to get rid of them is hemorrhoid cream. Bruise cream would also probably help.

How can you increase collagen production?

With nutrients, topically and internally. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/page__view__findpost__p__2576900

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/page__view__findpost__p__2591468

I can't wait until I have saved enough money to have a delayed reaction allergy test done. I think that and too many toxins is the real answer for me to making them go away. One thing that is gross but actually works pretty well to get rid of them is hemorrhoid cream. Bruise cream would also probably help.

hemorrhoid cream? really? i've nvr heard it could help drk circles.

for the people who use the roller, how long was it until you saw improvement?

I use the Garnier beige under-eye concealer as well, I like it, it works pretty ell, but mine are pretty bad.. I've read that drinking lots of water can help as well as what you eat, and I've also read that raw potato skins work very well (use 'em like good ol' fashion cucumbers!).

I actually JUST read in a Cosmo article that you can put them in the fridge to get them cool, peel some slices and soak them in water (not sure if that's necessary) and then put them over your eyes for 10-15 minutes. I really want to try this.

Yep I'm not lying, hemorrhoid cream works. It has shark liver oil and live yeast cell derivative which are vasoconstricters. The American hemorrhoid creams wont work because they had to take out these ingredients, but they are still available in Canada and Europe. I've used it myself every once in a while and it reduces puffiness and darkness for sure.