Notifications
Clear all

Longest I Have Ever Been Clear - Neem Oil

MemberMember
(@artisdead)

Posted : 02/26/2012 3:06 pm

I never thought I would be posting this or saying this (I almost dont want to curse it!) but I have been clear ever since I stopped using products that were contributing to my cystic acne, and using neem oil in combination with some other things.

Neem oil is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine for skin disorders. I picked some up at Whole Foods, the Neem Aura Naturals brand.

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B001ET7N3S

Every day when I moisturize I mix a drop in with my moisturizer. At night I'll use a bit more as spot treatment. Neem oil has a strong smell, but it really doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I have been using this for over a month and this is literally the longest I can remember that I have not had a SINGLE cystic breakout. This is calmest my skin has been in ages. Even when I got my period this month I didn't break out. I am literally. amazed.

If anyone is into natural (and easy!) acne treatments, please try this. I'd love for someone else to be in the same boat with me on this.

As a side note, I now use only pure aloe vera gel & jojoba oil in place of moisturizer. My skin has been far less oily, but not dry at all! (and I have eczema, so this is pretty amazing.)

MemberMember
(@jmcsm)

Posted : 02/26/2012 10:25 pm

Congrats on getting clear! I have heard some good comments about neems. I am currently using a neem and turmeric soap for my backne. Recommended by a friend. Seems to begoing ok so far.

MemberMember
(@shraakky)

Posted : 02/29/2012 6:40 am

Yay congrats.

I have only just started using neem oil and soap. I was my face with the soap bought from the local health shop and then apply the oil for 5 -10 minutes before washing it off again. I HAVE to wash it off.

First time I applied it, I kept fighting the urge to throw up. I was seriously trying to keep food down! Now that would have stopped me using it right then until I realised my swollen, sore face wasn't sore anymore a few hours after applying it. The next day the pimples had healed a great deal, faster than anything else I have ever tried. So after that first application, I learnt my lesson... now when I apply the oil I stick huge wads of cotton wool up my nose so there's no way I can smell that horrid odor that neem oil has. My kids think i'm nuts! lol.gif

MemberMember
(@wantthisacnegone)

Posted : 02/29/2012 9:31 am

Interesting. Might give this a try :) I kinda wonder though if the products I'm using are a contributing factor to my cystic acne?

All I use is Clean & Clear blackhead eraser (I get a bit on my nose), St. Ives Apricot Scrub, and Clean & Clear dual action moisturizer. I use them because they make my skin feel 'cleaner', and smooth. I had cystic acne before I started using these products though.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/29/2012 11:47 pm

Neem oil is great, however, is toxic at the same time as it can in larger doses cause liver failure. Applied topically im not sure how much is absorbed into the blood stream but i wouldn't use to much. Little goes along way and you dont want to have an antibacterial resistance develop.

But other than that congratulations! Stay clear now, continue exfoliating because this helps keep cystic acne down as well.

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 03/01/2012 5:28 pm

Congrats on finding something!!! I have not tried neem, but have used tea tree oil and manuka oil. My husband hates the smell of them. lol I find they do disappear after a few mins, though. I am so glad that you haven't had any cysts! I hope mine go away. I haven't had any in a long time and then last month and this month I got several mid cycle. Really hoping and praying it was a reaction to something and not a new hormonal shift or something!

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/07/2013 11:11 pm

Congrats on finding something!!! I have not tried neem, but have used tea tree oil and manuka oil. My husband hates the smell of them. lol I find they do disappear after a few mins, though. I am so glad that you haven't had any cysts! I hope mine go away. I haven't had any in a long time and then last month and this month I got several mid cycle. Really hoping and praying it was a reaction to something and not a new hormonal shift or something!

Hi, curious about your use of manuka oil.

I just ordered some; does it work on cysts that have been there a long time and are really deep?

I've got these cyst/sac like things that have been there for months.

MemberMember
(@carp351)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:44 am

My sister tried Manuka honey for 2 weeks fo her severe cystic acne and it didn't do anything.

I just ordered some; does it work on cysts that have been there a long time and are really deep?

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/09/2013 1:32 am

My sister tried Manuka honey for 2 weeks fo her severe cystic acne and it didn't do anything.

I'm not talking about the honey; talking about the Oil; Manuka oil is 33 times stronger than tea tree oil.

Not the same at all as the honey.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/09/2013 2:16 pm

I never thought I would be posting this or saying this (I almost dont want to curse it!) but I have been clear ever since I stopped using products that were contributing to my cystic acne, and using neem oil in combination with some other things.

Neem oil is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine for skin disorders. I picked some up at Whole Foods, the Neem Aura Naturals brand.

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B001ET7N3S

Every day when I moisturize I mix a drop in with my moisturizer. At night I'll use a bit more as spot treatment. Neem oil has a strong smell, but it really doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I have been using this for over a month and this is literally the longest I can remember that I have not had a SINGLE cystic breakout. This is calmest my skin has been in ages. Even when I got my period this month I didn't break out. I am literally. amazed.

If anyone is into natural (and easy!) acne treatments, please try this. I'd love for someone else to be in the same boat with me on this.

As a side note, I now use only pure aloe vera gel & jojoba oil in place of moisturizer. My skin has been far less oily, but not dry at all! (and I have eczema, so this is pretty amazing.)

That's great, glad neem worked for you. I recently tried taking a neem supplement (pure neem oil) but I think it caused more flare ups for me. I also tried applying neem cream topically and it sometimes helps with redness but hasn't improved my acne. I really wanted it to work because it can be a multi-tasking herb

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/10/2013 12:40 am

Neem oil is an anti-fungal. Maybe you have a fungal issue?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/10/2013 5:36 pm

Neem oil is an anti-fungal. Maybe you have a fungal issue?

How can I tell if I have a fungal issue? I basically took the recommended dosage of neem from a dropper for 3 days straight and my flare ups worsened. Not sure if it's coincidental but I haven't had much luck with a topical neem oil for acne either. The only success I had with neem in the past was as a cream which was also vanilla flavored, so it couldn't have been all natural but it worked anyway for redness around my mouth. What are the side effects of a fungal issue?

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 02/08/2013 5:54 pm

I didn't notice any different than the Tea Tree. Nothing like Wow, that was faster! But it was ok. I don't get cysts for months. I feel them come up and it only takes a day or so once I feel the pain under my skin. At this time, I can sometimes ice them frequently and they'll go away--or least stay deflamed until the plug can come to the surface. So, my cysts last a week or two max. I have also used warm compresses with varying degrees of success.

One thing I do when I use tea tree or manuka oils, I mix them with a little glycerin and water moisturizer (I use Deram E vit A wrinkle gel). Then I slather a good amount on the area. I feel this absorbs into my skin better than pure oils (and heard undiluted oils can burn skin although I haven't experienced that). I think it stays moist longer and able to penetrate. I've noticed MUCH better success that way than I did when I slathered the oil on by itself. I think it dries too quickly. In fact, I recently had one monster come up on the side of my nose and with some icing and the tea tree oil gel mix, it completely flattened and is no longer *active* within 3 days or so. I'm just waiting for the plug to come to the surface.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 02/11/2013 11:34 am

Yeah I agree, using a penetrator along with the oil is very helpful.

I now use emu oil for that; other than DMSO it is the strongest penetrator you can use.