Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coin

Soothing Irritated Skin

I realize this is a side effect of the regiment, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering if there is a way to make my skin a little less red and flaky.

I'm been on the regimen for about 3 months now, and it seems to be working great. No more zits. However, the BP gel seems to be making my skin red and extremely flaky. Moisturizer, Neutrogena, helps with the flakes, but my skin still looks a little damaged and red on some days.

Am I being too agressive when I apply the gel and moisturizer? Would using only moisturizer and no bp gel for a day or two make the redness go away?

Like I said, I'm completely satisfied with the regimen, and realize these effects are to be expected, but is there any way to lessen them?

Guest Captain Chaos

Whereabouts are you applying the gel? Different parts of my face are more sensitive than others, for example I can be quite aggressive with my forehead but around my lips I have to be very gentle because it gets irritated very quickly and usually apply less BP to the areas which are more sensitive...

For the redness I'm not sure what you could use, maybe Aloe Vera? Aftersun?

When I lighten up on BP applications and use moisturizers- good ones (I found this Oil of Olay "beauty fluid" which seems to work wonders)- My face is less red and dry. So taking a short "break" from treatment gives my skin time to heal up and it looks a lot better.

you could experiment with applying the bp once a day only - to see if you still obtain the skin clearing benefits but reduce the dryness

I am glad I am not a slave to BP. I used to use it on Proactive and it irritated dried out and caused hyperpigmentation. My skin looked better with the pimples. I was all dull. I have found that tea tree oil as a spot treatment works just as well as BP and is more soothing healing and less drying. If you do have flakiness and dry skin I would say that a weekly exfoliation and a massage with Vit. E Oil should help. As well as cutting down on the amount of BP.