Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillgrid

Should I Honestly Worry About Them?

Hey Acne.org,

I have been a lurker for a long time only posting here and there - but I was wondering if I could get honest opinions from anyone here - even if you do not suffer from acne scars.

My girlfriend says she cannot even see anything, as well as my parents. They usually say, "You are the only one who can see them."

I work in a nursing home and on a every day basis it requires me to speak in front of people, and usually I am very nervous - I hide it well however. When I speak to people, I feel like they are looking at the scars that bother me the most, and it brings me down. Please zoom in to get a better look at the texturing of the scars. I have been off Accutane for quite some years now, but the scarring is still apparent. Currently I am using Neutrogena face lotion with SPF and Apha-Hydroxy Acid as a moistrorizer and then follow up with some slight make-up.

I use a primer to cover the discolorations up, Ben Nye concealer, and finish with Revlon Color-stay foundation. But sometimes I think the foundation makes it look worse. Here lately I have been wanting to visit a local dermatologist, but currently do not have insurance. If I do visit a dermatologist, I am worried that it may make my skin look worse. Any advice or honest opinions would be very grateful. In dim lights they are very apparent, but this was the best photo I could get as of now.

Thank you!

Edited by skillgrid

No, you shouldn't worry about them at all :)

Your skin looks great and baby smooth skin on a guy isn't a great look, I think wink.png

Edited by thrillpink

Your skin looks great! You shouldn't worry about it at ALL. It could be a LOT worse, and I hardly noticed anything until I read through your post.

Let me give you 2 tips that will be life changing.

1. Get off this board, you're wasting your time. You DON'T have ance scars at all.......you jackass.

2. Start living it up. It's people like you that piss people like me off and others that actually need scar revision.

Your welcome.

Let me give you 2 tips that will be life changing.

1. Get off this board, you're wasting your time. You DON'T have ance scars at all.......you jackass.

2. Start living it up. It's people like you that piss people like me off and others that actually need scar revision.

Your welcome.

If I did not have scars, I would not be posting on this board. Let me try to get some better photos for you tough guy.

Your girlfriend, your parents, the previous poster, and I agree that there is absolutely nothing for you to be worrying about.

Honestly I'd recommend you seek psychological counseling. I think you may be suffering from body dismorphic disorder.

Edit: You should expect some exasperation, annoyance, and even hostility towards this post, because honestly, most of us on these boards would kill to have your skin. I understand your feelings are real and valid, which is why I suggest you get some help and determine the root cause of your insecurities.

Edited by tritonxiv

I use a primer to cover the discolorations up, Ben Nye concealer, and finish with Revlon Color-stay foundation. But sometimes I think the foundation makes it look worse. Here lately I have been wanting to visit a local dermatologist, but currently do not have insurance. If I do visit a dermatologist, I am worried that it may make my skin look worse. Any advice or honest opinions would be very grateful. In dim lights they are very apparent, but this was the best photo I could get as of now.

Thank you!

Were these photos taken with or without make up?

all you have are some scarred pores that are very superficial. I know people with this... and they are invisable to the public, as your skin still appears smooth just not on the "hi def" pixel level. But really, your coloring is creamy and even... there are no circular indentations or anything. so don't worry about it you look great.

I know I can't change your mind, cause I feel the same for myself too and it's like an obsession, but you shouldn't worry at all, such scars are hardly visible. I wouldn't risk doing any treatment.

As a person who also does public speaking and who has worse scarring than what I see in your photos, I get where you are coming from. It's subjective to every person, but the person with scarring is almost always the one who is the most judgmental. Honestly, your skin looks normal to me. I think you run the risk of making things a lot worse if you tried to "fix" your skin.

You have what is called ''body dysmorphic disorder'' (Not kidding)

Look it up. You should listen to what everyone said here. Even though some were kind of rude about it (and I kind of understand them) They're just trying to do you a favor. Your problem is mental and if you don't fix it, it'll hunt you for a long time. Trust me, this is coming from someone who had the same problem as you. I would be obsessed about any freaking little thing on my face that people would never even pay attention at for a second because they just couldn't see it.

You really have to realize that people look at your face as a whole. They don't have a flaw detector integrated in their eyes that spots the smallest imperfections. They do not focus on your skin. Please take ''10yearswiththis'' 's advice and start living it up. You have nothing to worry about.

It's barely noticeable. In fact, they might be mistaken for large pores. I would just do research to see it there is really anything worth doing. I wouldn't risk a chemical peel but maybe microderm might help. Not sure.

Look it up. You should listen to what everyone said here. Even though some were kind of rude about it (and I kind of understand them) They're just trying to do you a favor. Your problem is mental and if you don't fix it, it'll hunt you for a long time. Trust me, this is coming from someone who had the same problem as you. I would be obsessed about any freaking little thing on my face that people would never even pay attention at for a second because they just couldn't see it.

You really have to realize that people look at your face as a whole. They don't have a flaw detector integrated in their eyes that spots the smallest imperfections. They do not focus on your skin. Please take ''10yearswiththis'' 's advice and start living it up. You have nothing to worry about.

I know what you mean because I am obsessive too, therefore i don't blame skillgrid at all and almost get mad htat people attack him for caring. I mean why wouldn't he want to make it look perfect again? It shouldn't make him feel too bad because it isn't, but then again we have to all remember that everyone's "bad" is relevent.

I know what you mean because I am obsessive too, therefore i don't blame skillgrid at all and almost get mad htat people attack him for caring. I mean why wouldn't he want to make it look perfect again? It shouldn't make him feel too bad because it isn't, but then again we have to all remember that everyone's "bad" is relevent.

Yeah, I don't blame him for feeling bad about his skin. I know everyone wants perfect skin and that everyone's ''bad'' is relative. But I can spot unhealthy and obsessive ''caring'' when I see it and that's exactly what's happening with the OP. He has to find a way to get over it and realize that his skin is just fine or else he'll end up wasting away the best years of his life worrying about a problem that's in his head.

This is what my psychologist told me I have as well.

I agree with your perspective. Have you been successful with getting over it? I'm just wondering because I have yet to do that. I'm extremely tormented by this happening and am just wondering how many of you all are just as happy now as you were before the scarring. There has to be something seriously mentally mindf'n about it because we all seem to somewhat obsess, and have been or go to psychologists for this... I personally have seen people I know get through cancer easier than my 6 year battle with acne and scarring, but we can't pick our battles.

Skillgrid,

Please, PLEASE listen to me. I'm going to be 100% honest with you. It would be a lie to say you do not have acne scars, you do. You're not crazy. BUT your acne scars are incredibly mild, and only someone looking for your acne scars would even notice them, and even then it would be difficult.

If anyone is actually looking at you funny, which they most likely are not, it is because you are wearing make up. Thats probably not something they see often. Do yourself a favor, stop using ANY make up, use some hydroquinone on your discoloration if it bothers you (you can buy this at any local drug store), and enjoy your life worry free. I know it is difficult to gauge how you look through the eyes of someone else, but please let this thread bring you assurance that you have nothing to worry about. PLEASE do not do anything to your skin, no acne scar treatment is 100% and an attempt to treat it may cause actual significant scarring.

If you absolutely can not resist trying SOMETHING, try some retin-A for 6 months- 1 year and you might just see those scars fill up completely. But I would strongly suggest against any type of treatment no matter what your derm tells you.

Now go do something with your gf and family and I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by SoontobeMD

Those scars are so tiny that they're basically just pores, so please do believe your girlfriend and family when they say they can see nothing.

No one looks at you as closely as you yourself do, and no one else is going to even notice.

You have already been told you you have very mild scarring For a guy you are quite obsessed with your looks. A guy wearing makeup for that type of scarring is quite uncommon

That looks pretty mild. I actually wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. You look awesome. I know we're usually a lot harder on ourselves than other people are on us. I've seen actors on tv with much deeper scarring and they were able to land jobs as actors.