Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cwk390

My Skin Routine Giving Me Whiteheads?

Hello all!

Ok so I just changed my skin routine a few days ago. I used to use a pretty harsh cleansing cream (Clearasil Ultra Acre+Marks Wash and Mask) and I never moisturized. I kept getting acne all the time and my skin was scaring and dry as mess. So I looked around the web to try to find a better routine because clearly mine was not working.

I bought these products:

1 Cleansing Foam from Beauty Control (I think it is so weak it may be my problem)

2 Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner

3 Neutrogena Health Skin Face Lotion with Alpha-Hydroxy

4 St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub Invigorating

My everyday routine uses products 1, 2, 3

Every other day I use 4, 1, 2, 3

Now to get to my point.. My overall skin quality has increased no big bumps or redness; however every morning I wake up I have a lot of these very tiny white heads.. and I don't know what to do with them. Do I pop them and tonic them or what? Also why would this new routine give me small whiteheads?

Ditch the St.Ives. You don't need a manual exfoliant AND a chemical one. Toners are useless too. Less is more.

Edited by Lola Burns

Ditch the St.Ives. You don't need a manual exfoliant AND a chemical one. Toners are useless too. Less is more.

Really I thought the St. Ives cleans and opens your pores while the toner closes and makes sure there is no bacteria and such in them.

Pores are not like eyelids or tiny muscles. They do not open or close. The ingredients in your toner doesn't kill p. acnes bacteria. But the high alcohol content will certainly dry your skin out.

Toners are useless too.

I disagree,toners have helped my skin immensely. I use Thayers and it doesn't have any alcohol in it. If I skip a couple days of toner my face looks less glowy and I break out in clogged pores. Plus I feel so clean after using it. The scrub might be causing you the white heads,could be irritation. I'd stop using it.

"Made of extract from the Witch Hazel shrub (Hamamelis Virginiana) and a blend of other time-tested ingredients - THAYERS® Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Formula Astringents and Alcohol-Free Toners are soothing, natural treatments that cleanse, tone and soothe your skin. THAYERS® are the only Witch Hazel products made of non-distilled extract from the Witch Hazel shrub maintaining the highest levels of therapeutic tannins."

"Commonly used plant extract that can have potent antioxidant properties (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 364–367; and Journal of Dermatological Science, July 1995, pages 25–34) and some anti-irritant properties (Source: Skin Pharmacology and Applied Skin Physiology, March-April 2002, pages 125–132). However, witch hazel’s high tannin content (and tannin is a potent antioxidant), can also be irritating when used repeatedly on skin because it constricts blood flow. The bark of the witch hazel plant has higher tannin content than the leaves. Steam distillation for producing witch hazel water removes the tannins, but the plant’s astringent qualities are what most believe give it benefit. Alcohol is added during the distillation process, the amount typically being 14–15%. Witch hazel water is distilled from all parts of the plant, so in that sense you never know what you’re getting, though the alcohol content remains (Source: www.naturaldatabase.com; www.drugs.com). Depending on the form of witch hazel, you’re either exposing skin to an irritating amount of alcohol (which causes free radical damage and collagen breakdown), tannins, or both. Moreover, witch hazel contains the fragrance chemical eugenol, which is another source of irritation."

I think one of the products is irritating your skin. Maybe you're exfoliating too much? I get really tiny white pimples after a facial or if I wash my face with water. Also one time I got them when I tried a new moisturizer and the other when I stopped taking vit C.

You could change something in your routine and see, if it gets better.

Hello all! Ok so I just changed my skin routine a few days ago. I used to use a pretty harsh cleansing cream (Clearasil Ultra Acre+Marks Wash and Mask) and I never moisturized. I kept getting acne all the time and my skin was scaring and dry as mess. So I looked around the web to try to find a better routine because clearly mine was not working. I bought these products: 1 Cleansing Foam from Beauty Control (I think it is so weak it may be my problem) 2 Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner 3 Neutrogena Health Skin Face Lotion with Alpha-Hydroxy 4 St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub Invigorating My everyday routine uses products 1, 2, 3 Every other day I use 4, 1, 2, 3 Now to get to my point.. My overall skin quality has increased no big bumps or redness; however every morning I wake up I have a lot of these very tiny white heads.. and I don't know what to do with them. Do I pop them and tonic them or what? Also why would this new routine give me small whiteheads?

How long had you changed the routine before you saw the white heads? It may be your skin re adjusting. However, I tend to agree with dropping the scrub because ones made with grainy bits of hulls or seeds can be irritating (especially if you are using this often right after coming off a harsh previous routine--your skin may not have had time to heal). If you want to scrub, you might look for one with smooth beads..or maybe use a bit of baking soda in with your cleaner every now and then. I don't really use toners and there is debate on if they work or not..that will depend on how it works for you. Most days I don't wear make up, so I don't use anything after washing. If I wear a lot of makeup then after cleaning I may run a toner over my face.

Another thought is that the AHA in the face lotion may be bringing up pore gunk..so the whiteheads may simply be purging out. :)