Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cc123

why can skin resurfacing cause large pores?

I'm so upset with the condition of my skin after I recieved a series o fglycolic acid peels (the last few at 70%). The last 2 I had were 2 weeks apart, previously I was going monthy, but everyone at my doctors office said it would be fine to do them closer together. Anyways about three days after the peel, I showered, went out as usual....looked in the mirror & my pores looked huge! After some of the previous peels, they had looked slightly larger but had always sprung back into place. Well now it's been 3 months & not only do my pores still look very enlarged, but I am waking up to small wholes in my skin (not quite as large as ice pick scars, more like strethched pores). These were not there, that I know because it would have been hard to miss. Anyway, I've heard of other people having similar experiences (large pores after some kind of resurfacing, or on elady even after just using a glycolic acid product) also if you read about dermabrasion or laser resurfacing one risk is enlarged pores.

My question is, does anyone know why this happens? If I had an explanation it might help some.

PS MY doc whose office performed the peels got really upset when I said they caused my pores to enlarge & insisted there's no way..it's just a light exfoliation. However, I've read 70% glycolic can be considered medium depth. We who obsess over our skin know the condition of it before a procedure...and these pores were not like this!

I'm not exactly sure why but I can tell you that I just recently had a similar experience a few weeks ago after using 10% glycolic acid over several months. I felt something funny happening to a couple of spots on my face and one day I woke up and looked in the mirror to discovered two new indents. Not really ice pick but just like a bunch of pores all close together decided to cave in and form an indent. I was severly depressed to say the least and I've not touched the stuff since. I did lose a lot of weight around the same time so that probably didn't help. It's ironic because I was using glycolic acid to smooth out my skin from scars I've had from acne in the past and it was sort of working for a while.

I looked on the net and it seems like derms think it's impossible for glycolic acid to cause perminent scarring.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/dermatology/...ges/30265a.html

be patient... yeah right.

I'm so upset with the condition of my skin after I recieved a series o fglycolic acid peels (the last few at 70%).  The last 2 I had were 2 weeks apart, previously I was going monthy, but everyone at my doctors office said it would be fine to do them closer together.  Anyways about three days after the peel, I showered, went out as usual....looked in the mirror & my pores looked huge!  After some of the previous peels, they had looked slightly larger but had always sprung back into place.  Well now it's been 3 months & not only do my pores still look very enlarged, but I am waking up to small wholes in my skin (not quite as large as ice pick scars, more like strethched pores).  These were not there, that I know because it would have been hard to miss.  Anyway, I've heard of other people having similar experiences (large pores after some kind of resurfacing, or on elady even after just using a glycolic acid product) also if you read about dermabrasion or laser resurfacing one risk is enlarged pores. 

My question is, does anyone know why this happens?  If I had an explanation it might help some.

PS MY doc whose office performed the peels got really upset when I said they caused my pores to enlarge & insisted there's no way..it's just a light exfoliation.  However, I've read 70% glycolic can be considered medium depth.  We who obsess over our skin know the condition of it before a procedure...and these pores were not like this!

Another reason not to use AHAs continuously is that peeling off the upper

epidermis can temporarily make your pores look larger. Contrary to some

advertising, AHAs are not a treatment for large pores and do little to disolve

sebum-keratin plugs in the pores. Pore appearance is influenced by how the

upper epidermis forms the pore opening. Stripping off the upper layers and

thinning the epidermis increases the size of the pore opening. When you stop

using the acid, the pore opening will usually return to normal as the

epidermis regenerates, but this can take weeks. Remember, if you have large

pores, a thinned epidermis makes your pores look larger, not smaller.

Unlike AHAs, low-concentration salicylic acid acne medications can help

disolve impacted sebum-keratin plugs inside pores. So even though it thins

the upper epidermis, it may have a positive effect on pore appearance if

they are dialated by sebum and keratin. However, tretinoin is a better

long-term treatment for plugged pores than salicylic acid, since it does not

require continuous peeling of the upper epidermis and also helps to thicken

the epidermis. Higher concentrations salicylic acid solutions will also cause

light crusting and peeling which may be unsightly.

http://www.health-and-medical.com/medical_..._msg55069.shtml