Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Esjay

Hormones, age, time... How does it all affect acne

I don't remember when I got my first outbreak (I know it started at the beginning of puberty)- but at first all acne was concentrated to my forehead. I guess it didn't bother me that much. I was too naive/young to care???? Well looking back at pictures scares me... Anyway, one day I used BP over and over and over again- just throughout the day. I was amazed because THE NEXT MORNING when I woke up, my forehead was SO much clearer!!! I kept using my BP and my skin was nice and clear for a couple years... now I'm 16 and about 6 months ago I noticed tiny bumps starting on my cheeks. Before I'd get like 1 pimple on my cheek and it would go away fast. Before I knew it I had more and more and more little zits growing on my cheeks!!! Sadly it was nearly 2 months before I got more BP (had run out!!). Finally I've had BP for just about two months. But no matter what I've never seen the same amazing reaction my forehead had when I was younger.

I should also note that now my forehead is completely clear, except for one or two small- barely noticeable zits (which pop up once a month). I keep applying BP though, because I want to keep it that way!!!

I think this odd "acne on the forehead" then "clear for a while" then "acne on the cheeks" ordeal MUST be hormonaly (sp) related. Why were my cheeks clear before and now they aren't? Why was my forehead clouded, and now is not??? Why did my "problem areas" switch???

(this is getting long)

And now acne bothers me- A LOT. I use oil-free non-comedogenic (sp) foundation almost everytime I leave the house. When i dont I find that people will mention the fact that I have acne to me!!! As if I don't know... how embarrassing. Most of the time the foundation does a fine job of keeping people from being disracted by a small field of zits on my cheeks (not really bumpy just a little red here and there). Sometimes it'll dry out a little bit--- but it makes me feel a lot better and I don't feel like people are staring at a couple red marks (people also don't comment- probably because they don't notice- which is even better). Some people (friends etc) can be really stupid about the fact that I wear foundation- but I don't care because when I look in the mirror I feel a lot better and hopeful for a clearer future.

Something else I noticed- My older brother had extremely bad acne- especially at age 15. Now he's 19 and has basically NOTHING. My parents took him to dermos and he used EVERYTHING. From my observation- nothing made a huge dent- until he started getting older- then it was like he suddenly cleared up.

I also know someone who only uses hot water and just washes their face every night. He used to have horrendous acne but suddenly it started clearing up as he got older.

I've noticed MANY people who seem to "outgrow" their acne.

I've also observed that people who did not suffer outbreaks as teenagers, now in adulthood suffer from them.

But now i've been reading stories of people who started acne at age 12 and many years into adulthood still struggle with it.

I've also been wondering- what's the history of acne? did people in the 1800s have it? 1700s??? It obviously wasn't such a big hype as it is now. Are we seeing more teens with acne recently than we did 100s of years ago??? If teens a hundred years ago did not suffer from acne (as I have not seen any evidence that they did), why do teens suffer from it now???

Interesting...

A while ago I "noticed" that a certain girl I am aquainted with had acne. All over her face. After a while it cleared up. Recently I've been seeing stuff like this:

I see her on,

Sunday: Bad acne. All over face. red. Inflamed.

Wednesday: Suddenly clearer. No red marks from previous zits (which were covering all areas of her face on Sunday)

Friday: Completely clear. Maybe a little zit on her chin- a couple on her forehead. NO RED MARKS FROM PREVIOUS ZITS you would never have guessed that her acne looked really bad 5 days before.

Back and forth, back and forth. She has acne- then she doesn't! It doesn't appear that she is using any make-up but I am curious as to how drasticly different her skin looks from week to week.

Just an interesting note.

women who suffer from acne often tend to break out days 21-26 of their menstrual cycle...or their acne worsens during that time. Seems that androgens become overstimulated and increase sebum production at the same time you get a lot of water rentension in the body tissues...in the case of the face this can pinch off the pores. These two things combine to create inflammation etc.

women who suffer from acne often tend to break out days 21-26 of their menstrual cycle...or their acne worsens during that time. Seems that androgens become overstimulated and increase sebum production at the same time you get a lot of water rentension in the body tissues...in the case of the face this can pinch off the pores. These two things combine to create inflammation etc.

Guest Captain Chaos
I've also been wondering- what's the history of acne? did people in the 1800s have it? 1700s??? It obviously wasn't such a big hype as it is now. Are we seeing more teens with acne recently than we did 100s of years ago??? If teens a hundred years ago did not suffer from acne (as I have not seen any evidence that they did), why do teens suffer from it now???

Perhaps they had so much else to worry about acne didnt really bother them...especially the working classes - they barely had time to have a sit down, let alone worry about acne...

Plus remember people were more conservative back then, they were less likely to spill open their problems out in public, let alone to members of the same family.

I think nowadays the emphasis put on 'being perfect' especially in Western societies, with magazines, tv shows, movies etc has drawn more attention to the way we look and more and more people are being obsessed with how they look, what they eat, how much exercise they do etc...

So to conclude I think it's just the fact people are more aware of it, and it's more talked about hence it makes it seem like a larger problem than it was years ago. Look at terrorism, us British were getting bombed since about 30 years ago by the IRA, ever since 9/11 terrorism has been on the news everyday, it is just as common today as 30 years ago (granted 9/11 was a large exception), yet it's more talked about so seems more prevalent...

Guest Captain Chaos
Very interesting... but still I just like to wonder... about everyone in all time periods. Romans- Greeks I mean everyone.

And I SOOO agree with the "being perfect" fad. It's disgusting. But it's true. That's a good point as to why acne is such a problem NOW.  I think a lot of the acne problem is in ppls mind.

I think this odd "acne on the forehead" then "clear for a while" then "acne on the cheeks" ordeal MUST be hormonaly (sp) related. Why were my cheeks clear before and now they aren't? Why was my forehead clouded, and now is not??? Why did my "problem areas" switch???

Now that I'm reading this. I think todays era it's just too much to handle. I mean I think we should blame all those commericials that tells you that you need to have clear skin. I think we should take a different aspects to all this and try to narrow down what makes us have acne. I think is stress. Why? cause' I notice when I was 21 or 22 I was under control about my self esteem I felt more happy. I ate right and I did a lot of activities. I think if you get busy and you stop thinking about your acne maybe it will go away. Who cares about other fucking people say about your acne.. WHO CARES....so I think we should get distracted with something that we love to do. So, I think that's why teenagers in that time. Didn't get acne cause' they were doing stuff. eusa_dance.gif

Now that I'm reading this. I think todays era it's just too much to handle. I mean I think we should blame all those commericials that tells you that you need to have clear skin. I think we should take a different aspects to all this and try to narrow down what makes us have acne. I think is stress. Why? cause' I notice when I was 21 or 22 I was under control about my self esteem I felt more happy. I ate right and I did a lot of activities. I think if you get busy and you stop thinking about your acne maybe it will go away. Who cares about other fucking people say about your acne.. WHO CARES....so I think we should get distracted with something that we love to do. So, I think that's why teenagers in that time. Didn't get acne cause' they were doing stuff.  eusa_dance.gif

Gar.... I can never seem to get this mild acne on my cheek area GONE. It gets better but is never GONE. And I want it GONE so bad I am so sick of it (especially right now, this moment). It is so annoying... ARGH you'd think after this much time of applying meds etc it would be GONE and since even 4 months ago it has "worsened". eusa_wall.gif ugh I am so mad right now.... eusa_boohoo.gif