Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hitman87

Long Time Accutane Users (8+ Years) Were Are You?

I stopped Accutane about 4 weeks ago and unfortunately I'm getting breakouts again. Nothing cystic (never had), just alot of pustules all over my face and hair. I've been using Accutane for about 8 years now and it got me wondering. Will I ever get rid of this awesome but awful medicine?! ;) I'm a low dose user, so besides some dryness here and there, nothing major that prevents me from using it.

In the last few months I started to get concerned, because I've been using this medicine for about 8 years now on low dose (10mg a day). This medicine can't be good for the body, but it helps me control my skin problem. I was wondering if there are any other long time Accutane users out there? What are you're experiences after using this medicine for so long? Did you ever clear, or?

Hey there! I'm also a long term Accutane user. I started when I was 16 and can't even count how many courses I've been on since (I'm 23 now so it's been 7 years). The first few courses I did 40mg for 6 months and they would each keep me clear for a year or so sometimes a year and a half. After that my dermatologist would prescribe me the full 6 months worth of 40mg but I would only take it for 2 months and stay clear for a while after, probably about 6 months. It's amazing how little of it I need to stay clear, but like you I have my concerns. The only side effects I have had are dryness, especially my lips and slight lower back pain while taking the pills, but that goes away as soon as I stop. I would also say my night vision decreases slightly while on them, but that also goes away when I stop.

Recently I developed bad migraines which I believe are associated with leaky gut syndrome. They relate to food allergies and are only caused if I eat the wrong food. After I developed the migraines my skin again went to crap and I decided not to take Accutane and try to figure my skin out once and for all. I was also scared it would make the migraines worse. I found that I did clear myself completely by just eating fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, cheese and taking fiber! I was amazed. I lost way too much weight eating this restricted, and then also added probiotics in which completely messed up my face! I stopped taking the probiotics. Ever since I've been trying to gain more weight by eating nuts and oils but this is causing my skin to stay bad. I can't seem to clear it again! I still would consider my acne mild at the moment but it's a shock since staying clear all the time on Accutane.

Anyways, I strongly believe there is a huge connection to diet and gut health when it comes to acne. Especially when you start to get into your 20's and still aren't clear. I believe what is the case for me is yeast overgrowth in the gut, which has caused leaky gut, causing my migraines and food allergies and acne. So I need to clear the yeast first, which is what I'm trying to do with coconut oil, oil of oregano and apple cider vinegar. I'm also sticking strongly to an anti candida diet. After I kill the yeast I can heal my gut with a supplement called L-glutamine, stay on the diet and hopefully banish this crap from happening. Then I will slowly re-introduce foods again and hopefully be able to eat a lot of the things I'm missing out on. That's my plan anyways.

hitman, i too have used accutane on and off for about eight years - 3 courses all together. My thing is this, if accutane was going to work, it would have worked the first or second time. It was not meant to be used long term and problems from using it can arise years later. I am prediabetic and i have now learned that the most recent packaging of accutane states that it can cause glucose issues (go figure). You have to make the decision for yourself whether to continue on this course but in my personal experience, having acne AND a messed up body is much worse that just dealing with acne. Try to work on your internal and maybe see a derm for topicals to help with the symptoms as you experiment with your body. You could also dive into natural 100% It's what will work for you with the least amount of stress.

Good Luck!

Thats very interesting Alexisc. I have the exact same side effects! ;) Sasch12, I agree with you that it is a drug that can mess up things in the long term. The thing however is that it will mess up something whether you use it high dose for a short time and low dose for a long time.

In the 12 years that I suffer from acne I've tried anything and kinda got tired of all the effort. On Accutane, I'm not thinking about my skin. When I need to do a lot to keep things clear, I check my skin every minute. neutral.gif Do you both believe that it is worth the effort, instead of going the easy route trough Accutane?

I've started Accutane yesterday after being 4 weeks of. This time I really noticed that I'm using medicine. Tired, lower back pain and a little moody. For me it's the choice of looking good, or feeling good...

hitman, i too have used accutane on and off for about eight years - 3 courses all together. My thing is this, if accutane was going to work, it would have worked the first or second time. It was not meant to be used long term and problems from using it can arise years later. I am prediabetic and i have now learned that the most recent packaging of accutane states that it can cause glucose issues (go figure). You have to make the decision for yourself whether to continue on this course but in my personal experience, having acne AND a messed up body is much worse that just dealing with acne. Try to work on your internal and maybe see a derm for topicals to help with the symptoms as you experiment with your body. You could also dive into natural 100% It's what will work for you with the least amount of stress.

Good Luck!

That's not how it works. Accutane shrinks your oil glands so they can't produce as much oil anymore. That is the cause of acne. Accutane pretty much buy you some time so you can grow out of acne naturally (as in getting older , hormones normalizing and sebum production decreasing naturally). The shrinking of oil glands is temporary though and when the oil get back to normal you'll start getting acne again if your body hasn't grew out of acne yet. That's why the success rate gets higher and higher each course you take. That's because you're getting older and closer to growing out of acne naturally. Some unfortunate people never grow out of acne though and that's why you see some people still having acne after years and years of accutane. If you're still having acne in your late twenties after 3+ courses of accutane, chances are that you're one of the unfortunate ones who just won't grow out of acne. I know it sucks, but it has nothing to do with accutane not doing it's job. Accutane was never meant to be a cure, it's a temporary fix.

Edit: By the way my post is not directed at you particularly, it's just general information for everyone, because I see a lot of people wondering why their acne comes back after accutane.

Edited by LaChesis

Thats very interesting Alexisc. I have the exact same side effects! wink.png Sasch12, I agree with you that it is a drug that can mess up things in the long term. The thing however is that it will mess up something whether you use it high dose for a short time and low dose for a long time.

In the 12 years that I suffer from acne I've tried anything and kinda got tired of all the effort. On Accutane, I'm not thinking about my skin. When I need to do a lot to keep things clear, I check my skin every minute. neutral.gif Do you both believe that it is worth the effort, instead of going the easy route trough Accutane?

I've started Accutane yesterday after being 4 weeks of. This time I really noticed that I'm using medicine. Tired, lower back pain and a little moody. For me it's the choice of looking good, or feeling good...

I think you know the answer to your own question and you'll be probably go ahead and take accutane anyway. Just be aware of anything your body is trying to tell you

Good Luck!!!

Sasch12; I'm back on Accutane (first week now) and already notice what huge effect it actually has on me. I feel terrible compared to the non-accutane weeks. If there is a alternative for this medicine, I'm willing to try. It's just that topicals are no option for me (I've tried them all and my skin hates them, even the regimen from this site).

Also, I was wondering if there are any more long time users and what are you're experiences? :)

Hey there! I'm also a long term Accutane user. I started when I was 16 and can't even count how many courses I've been on since (I'm 23 now so it's been 7 years). The first few courses I did 40mg for 6 months and they would each keep me clear for a year or so sometimes a year and a half. After that my dermatologist would prescribe me the full 6 months worth of 40mg but I would only take it for 2 months and stay clear for a while after, probably about 6 months. It's amazing how little of it I need to stay clear, but like you I have my concerns. The only side effects I have had are dryness, especially my lips and slight lower back pain while taking the pills, but that goes away as soon as I stop. I would also say my night vision decreases slightly while on them, but that also goes away when I stop.

Recently I developed bad migraines which I believe are associated with leaky gut syndrome. They relate to food allergies and are only caused if I eat the wrong food. After I developed the migraines my skin again went to crap and I decided not to take Accutane and try to figure my skin out once and for all. I was also scared it would make the migraines worse. I found that I did clear myself completely by just eating fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, cheese and taking fiber! I was amazed. I lost way too much weight eating this restricted, and then also added probiotics in which completely messed up my face! I stopped taking the probiotics. Ever since I've been trying to gain more weight by eating nuts and oils but this is causing my skin to stay bad. I can't seem to clear it again! I still would consider my acne mild at the moment but it's a shock since staying clear all the time on Accutane.

Anyways, I strongly believe there is a huge connection to diet and gut health when it comes to acne. Especially when you start to get into your 20's and still aren't clear. I believe what is the case for me is yeast overgrowth in the gut, which has caused leaky gut, causing my migraines and food allergies and acne. So I need to clear the yeast first, which is what I'm trying to do with coconut oil, oil of oregano and apple cider vinegar. I'm also sticking strongly to an anti candida diet. After I kill the yeast I can heal my gut with a supplement called L-glutamine, stay on the diet and hopefully banish this crap from happening. Then I will slowly re-introduce foods again and hopefully be able to eat a lot of the things I'm missing out on. That's my plan anyways.

you may not want to use apple cider vineger, it does have antibacterial properties, but acetic acid can enhance intestinal permeability/leaky gut. consider some probiotics.

acteic acid induced colitis(intestinal inflammation) is a way scientists study inflammatory bowel disease, you may find that what i say is true by searching this info.

Good to know, thanks for the info! I'll look into that. I can't do probiotics at the moment, I broke out like I never have before from taking just three probiotic pills.